Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to motorhoming and so far have stuck to sites with electrical hookups so have pretty scant knowledge of leisure batteries and their workings.

I was recently talking to a chap who had done his own van conversion. He said he had installed a device that monitors the voltage output of the leisure battery. The gizmo is set to trip when the battery output falls to 11V and thus avoids running the battery completely flat and shortening its life. Presumably it automatically resets when the battery is recharged. To me it sounds entirely sensible to have one of these installed.

The question is should I expect to have one already installed in my 2008 Chausson? If not can anyone give me a pointer to where I might be able to source one?

Regards,

Spencer.

·
Registered
947 Posts
hi spencer,
on mains the battery is automatically charged via the charge system in the van. off mains its charged a-whilst driving and b-by solar panel if you have one.

do you not have avoltage/battery meter in the controle panel on the van already? if so most new vehicle will automatically cut power when battery drops below 11 volts and its impossible to draw from engine battery on the van leisure side .

if you have room get another 110amp battery of the same type ie, wet lead acid or gel or agm, the new battery must be the same type as the charge system is set up to that and gel and lead acid have different charge rates.

it all depends how much of the grid camping you intend to do and your comsumption, but thats a whole new story and has been covered before in the search forums.

tramp

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Leasure battery

From memory the Chausson unit cut out at 10 v - as said previously thats really too low. TDG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.