Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a useful article below which I lifted from the August Motorhoming France newsletter, related to private radar speed detecting cars that are now operating in France. Some 450 of them apparently...

Tbh I'm not sure how it would affect us MH'ers who tend to bimble more than speed but useful to know just in case.

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
It's certainly slowed down most of the traffic as you would never know which car contains the radar apart from a large box on the dash.
It's a bugger having to stick to the 80kmph round here as it's too slow for 6th. gear but 90 is more reasonable.

Ray.

Reactions: GMJ

·
Premium Member
23,081 Posts
Our Nissan reads 80kph when we are actually doing 75. If I stick to the 80 limit, which I generally do, drivers behind are less than pleased, including Gendarmerie vehicles, lorries, buses etc., so the temptation is to drive to what 80 kph actually is - 84 on the digital speedo…..

But I still will stick to the indicated 80 kph, however much I infuriate others…..

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
Yes Dave ours also but I will always drive at an indicated speed of 85 kmph knowing it actually doing 81. Anyone crawling along at less than the due 80 deserves to be overtaken and can be put in a dangerous position. I don't want to put myself in that position.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
I was in Calvados last week where the limit is 90kph. It was interesting to note that in a neighbouring department with 80kph limits that two lane sections were 90kph even when no central reservation and with only one lane in opposite direction still at 80kph.

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
Yep, crackers ray.

Ray.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's 80kph max. and no overtaking for > 3.5t on many stretches of French RNs, mainly those infested with truck traffic, and that includes dual carriageways. Most truckers settle for the c.90kph. I try to maintain the 80 but sometimes I'm compelled to pull away when a tailgating psycho latches onto my rear end. It's sometimes down to a choice between a possible fine or furrowing my own burial plot. Portuguese drivers I find are the most culpable probably on illegal bonus missions. The French seem to turn a blind eye to Portuguese driver indiscretions I can't think why, perhaps difficult to prosecute, but probably just my imagination.
Always the chance the Gilet Jaune will emerge and deal with the mufti radar cars, assuming they can identify them. I was travelling through France when they were out in force a while back, and many overt and semi overt cameras had been set light to or otherwise destroyed.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,721 Posts
Our Nissan reads 80kph when we are actually doing 75. If I stick to the 80 limit, which I generally do, drivers behind are less than pleased, including Gendarmerie vehicles, lorries, buses etc., so the temptation is to drive to what 80 kph actually is - 84 on the digital speedo…..
I imagine most speedos read a little high (mine does) so if everyone is driving to their speedo 80kph they'll all be driving at much the same speed... No?

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
From what I have read I believe that the speedos in cars are known to be inaccurate which is a reason why speeding fines in the UK are usually set at speed limit plus 10% plus 2mph (not everywhere but mostly).

As Barry alludes, the speed shown on sat navs are supposed to be more accurate I think. Given how difficult it is to see the speedo in my 2017 Ducato, I always go my the sat nav speed shown on my Garmin. It's worked thus far...

Reactions: raynipper

·
Registered
84 Posts
A speedo, (does anybody use the term odometer these days) is always likely to be inaccurate to a degree, the wheel dia. changes with wear & tolerances for manufacturing inaccuracies for a start. So the vehicle manufacturer has to err on the side of caution not wishing to be taken in front of beak for aiding and abetting speeding. That's what I've always believed and I'm sticking with it says he, proud never to to have been issued with a speeding ticket. Thanks for never being caught for it that is:devilish:

·
Premium Member
23,081 Posts

·
Premium Member
984 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,081 Posts
I am afraid its behind a paywall for me but i understand 42 departments now have returned to 90kph limits its time the French goverment decided on a national speed limit again
Sorry, had not realised, agree all should be the same 90, here it is 80, drive towards Bergerac for 10 minutes and 90, but no way of knowing what it is where - designed to catch people methinks…

Map World Pattern Electric blue Font

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a bit of a mess.

To our French based colleagues: in your experience have sign post been changed?

Tbh it doesn't massively affect us as we are over 3500kg so the limit is 80Kph anyway I think

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
Not yet in La Manche Dept 50 G.

Ray.

• Helpful
Reactions: GMJ

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I abide by the speed limits ,I am more of a MPG person than a MPH person.I was wondering tho for those that are still in the MPH part of there lives and who do not hold a French driving license and who do not live in the united states of europe will the UK authorities pass your details to a foreign country.Now when i was much younger and rode large engine capacity motorcycles ...........let's not go there

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I seldom used to speed anyway as we are in a 5t MH but now I have shaved 5% off my speeds due to the cost of fuel. It makes no real noticeable difference to our journey times but has pushed my mpg's from the 23/24 mark into the 24/25 mark.

Reactions: raynipper

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
As you drive around you will see km/h limits of 30, 50, 70, 80, 90 and Motorway limits of 110 and 130 (except when raining) it's hardly surprising that we, and the French, occasionally get it 'wrong'.
Just to add to the confusion they have a higher 90 km/h limit on roads out of Urban areas which have more than two lanes.
Time and again during our recent visit, we were often on unfamiliar roads and places we'd rather not be, that speed limit watching was getting to a fine art.
Some signs would give a warning – 70 in 200m – while other 70 limits would be immediate.
As you're trying to concentrate on the direction you want to go another speed limit sign would pass you by and mean you haven't a clue what the actual limit is.
Also watch out for Gendarmes with Speed guns out in the countryside.
If a vehicle is flashing their lights at you they aren't admiring your car or making friends but warning of a Speed trap somewhere ahead.
In other words – keep your speed down and pay attention to all road signage relating to speeds where possible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts