Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a problem with our radio whilst driving. The m/h is an AutoSleeper Broadway Duo 2016, but I think it is a FIAT issue.
It has been there since day one, but FIAT & AutoSleeper have blamed each other, and now I am fed up and need a solution.

The problem -

After about 20-30 minutes driving, the radio signal (FM and DAB) starts to develop white noise which increases quickly to a level where listening is impossible.

This does not affect music played from my iPod through the 'radio'.

So what have I tried -

• Turned the radio off and on - noise still there.
  • Pulled in and turned vehicle engine off (key out) and back on again (not started) - noise still there.
  • Changed the aerials FM & DAB to screen ones - noise still there.
  • Replaced the radio (on a temporary basis) with a JVC one (from previous vehicle) - noise still there.
It does not happen when parked up and listening to radio (engine obviously off)

The problem only goes if the vehicle engine has been stopped for some time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Peter

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Reactions: raynipper

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice.

By "alternative 12v battery" would the m/h leisure battery do as I don't fancy carrying another 12v supply as well.

I'll put an order in for a suppressor as a quick try before we go off to Lincoln show.

Peter

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I'd you use the MH battery disconnect it from the motorhome. Otherwise the alternator charge will also feed the leisure battery.
Leave the leisure battery - ve terminal connected. Disconnect the positive terminal (and make sure it can't touch the body work.)
Then run a separate cable from that positive leisure battery to the radio feed. (ideally with an online fuse in place)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Pat.
Two things come to mind though
  1. If it is alternator noise, then why does the noise continue after the engine is turned off, key out then key turned but not started?
  2. I can't use the m/h with the leisure battery disconnected from the van. Remeber it takes at least 20 minutes running before the problem kicks in.
Or am I missing something?

Peter

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Good point. That rules out alternator.
Is a fan running?
Cooling fan wouldn't kick in for a while and could come back on after a switch off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No - no fan running. The only sound is the radio noise.
The best thought I have is a bad soldered joint. That's one reason for changing the radio.
So not there, but where? If it is!

Peter

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Any chance there is a powered aerial. Could that be failing as the voltage goes up over 13v (after the engine has been run for a while the voltage will rise up and stay up for a while after turning off)
I can't see a bad solder joint being that consistant.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unlikely to be two aerials. As I said I've replaced both aerials. Original ones are still there in the mirror housing. I put screen ones in as an inexpensive test.
Peter

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
The first test has to be to see if this interference is coming up the power feed to the radio.
If it is then can it be suppressed or the source located and fixed.
If not then something is producing interference locally that the aerial gets swamped in.
Does a battery powered radio in the cab tuned to the same band and station suffer the same?
I'm guess not and it's coming via the 12v to the radio.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Waiting for filters and supressor.
In the meantime, just had a thought (probably silly idea).
Could it be in the fridge (auto 3way). The DC part may just kick in after 20-30 minutes when temp raises. Then it would still be on when engine was turned back on.
I know - silly idea.
Peter

·
Premium Member
28,553 Posts
If the culprit is still unknown, then no idea is silly Peter.

Ray.

Reactions: erneboy

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Can you test by turning the fridge off?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Bit of guess work here but ........

If your problem is not present when playing your iPod through the media player (assuming it goes immediately you switch input on the media player) and the same symptoms are replicated through an alternate media unit it would lead me to believe your issue lies with the aerial \ feed cable picking up interference from an external source that is not permanently on and not the media unit, specifically the radio tuner, itself.

The prime candidate for me would be the engine cooling fan in front of the radiator as this would kick in whilst driving, increase speed (therefore increase interference) as the engine becomes hotter and over-run for a period after the engine is turned off.

To confirm it is the aerial you could pull out the aerial connector out the back of the media unit when experiencing the interference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many thnaks for your comments Gellyneck.
The new aerials are routed differently to the original FIAT ones. Still could be though. Difficult to remove the aerial whilst driving - remeber it takes 20-30 minutes of driving before it kicks in.
Can't be the cooling fan as the noise still continues with engine not running and fan not running (checked).

Peter

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Many thnaks for your comments Gellyneck.
The new aerials are routed differently to the original FIAT ones. Still could be though. Difficult to remove the aerial whilst driving - remeber it takes 20-30 minutes of driving before it kicks in.
Can't be the cooling fan as the noise still continues with engine not running and fan not running (checked).

Peter
Not environmentally friendly but could you have the media unit out of the dash but still connected and have the engine idling for 20-30 minutes and pull the plug?

A bit of a head scratcher if it's not the cooling fan.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A bit of an update - we've been away for the weekend, and I managed to some testing.
I fitted supressor and filters as suggested (by the way there is no B2B).
However the problem did not go away - in fact it came on after about 5 minutes!
I know it's not the fridge as I turned it off whilst the noise was present (still there).
Tried the portable radio whilst the noise was present - not too conclusive as sometimes the noise was on both but not always.

Anyone any more ideas?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts