Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all from a newbie, how do you stop the rattles from plates, cups pans etc. Are there racks available ?
Do you pack them into somethink?
Or am I being thick so come on let me into the secret.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi takeaflight,

I have tried allsorts of things ,now ihave two big like ice cream tubs with fronts cut out side by sie glasses in one china mugs in other,then melamine plates all stacked at side of those all fit together perfect.

That non slip matting is good too,cover bottom of sheves with it first.

I also use those small plastic baskets in a row in cupboards to keep things seperate and stops things falling out of top cupboards. 8O

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Hi takeaflight and welcome to the site.

I think its a matter of tidiness in general terms. Throw it all in and you will get rattles, stack it neatly then you've half a chance.
There are racks that help, available in all sorts of form from most caravan accessory shops, but personally speaking we don't use them. A good tip is find small cardboard or plastic boxes that fit the cupboads and use those to stack in. Also a tea towel under the grill helps but don't forget to take it out before you do the toast.

Don't put heavier objects in overhead cupboards. the weight can push open the doors (depending on the type of catch), disaster if over a glass topped sink or cooker.

Enjoy

Badger

·
Registered
107 Posts
we stack our plates with a piece of kitchen towel between each one

seems to do the trick ok

mugs with a thick rubber band around them,and that stop them from clinking together

but i dont think you could ever have too many tea towels

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
I think we've mastered the plates, bowls and mugs and by stacking with non-slip mat between for the former and interleaving mugs in a long narrow plastic box with ditto but I'm watching this thread in the hope that someone has a fix for stopping pans and metal trays etc from rattling in the oven which is where we have to store them.

I've even thought of making lots of little padded draw-strings bags, one per item. And yes...I do have other things to do with my time before you ask !

G.

·
Premium Member
13,788 Posts
Grizzly,

I'm a firm believer in whatever solution people prefer here, it has to be quick. Otherwise if it takes so long to pack up or set up, get a caravan and be done with it.

Our moving-off routine is things in from outside, put oven shelves & grill grid in bubble wrap envelopes all the same size (made from large sheet of small bubble wrap from Homebase), fridge to 12V & door locked, gas off, roofvents shut, retract step, turn driver & copilot seats forward, belt-up, fire up and go.

Dave

·
Registered
399 Posts
rattles,

Hi everyone,
We only commented this weekend how quiet it was as we travelled back home, -answer all trays and shelves from oven wrapped in a blanket in wardrobe,all plates have tea towl wrapped round them in their cupboard.
finally lots of elastic bands round things like sauce bottles and any other containers to stop them jinking together including saucepans. We have put that non slip stuff on every shelf. Now i just need something for the co pilot. (only joking dear!!!!)

Re the elastic bands speak to your friendly postman they have loads.

ian &col

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
rapidoron said:
Bubble wrap - yep!

paper towels - yep!

rubber bands - yep!

tea-towels - you betcha!

but non-slip matting? where from?

please!!!
Our local hardware shop sells it in rolls or try marquis., or any good motorhome/caravan accessories place.

Motorhomer

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
I saw it off the roll by the metre at Newbury and forgot to take the name of the stall.

It used to be quite cheap and easily available but the price can be quite steep now and it's quite difficult to find sometimes. Shop around. It's one of the most useful things for motorhomers.

An alternative is non-slip carpet underlay from carpet shops- looks roughly the same but slighty larger rubber mesh and comes in bigger pieces.

It is quite difficult to describe and I'm sure there are people in B&Q and Homebase who think I'm mad !

G.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I use tea towels and non slip matting. Usually find non slip matting in pound shops but if you want something a little better try the motorhome places with a shop. £1.99 for a roll that easily does three shelves with enough left over for your non slip mat on top of the tv for the freeview box!

Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rattles

Never mind rattles, what about squeaks from poorly fitted fridges?
Have just had the vent off and wedged some packing underneath as it seemed to be floating around unsupported.Haven't had chance to take it for a spin yet to see if that has cured the squeaks.

Dave

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi rapidoron,

As solentviews said go for the better quality stuff from accessory shops with this stuff you get what you pay for,the more you pay the better the grip and once you have it you will be amazed what uses you will find for it.We even have it on the bottom of our parrots cage so no movement when travelling.

Hi Daytona,

Why they can't put fridges in right is beyond me,we had them out of two english vans we've had because of draughts.We spoke to a chap just paid £60.000 for new van english took it for a run out and the fridge flew down the van,not had one screw put in it. 8O

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Fold a Tea Towel in half and sew down opposide ends to form a pouch. Put one item (e.g. saucepan) per pouch and stow them wherever convenient.
Use the Bubbly type T Towels, which are often for sale in the Cheap Shops.

If you have a convector type Gas Fire, it is likely to be a source of rattles and squeaks.

Fit pieces of Foam Rubber over cutlery in the cutlery drawer to cut down on rattles.

Finally, welcome to the wonderful world of Motorhoming - it's rattling good fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.