Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
H all, question, has anyone bought or used one of the re-radiating antenna`s for such as tomtom go 300, or other units, and if so how do you rate these antenna`s.
Reason I ask is because we have a tom tom go 300, but due I think to the luton on our van, a swift suntor 600s, we seem to keep losing the sat connection, tried to purchse an external antenna for tom tom go 300, but they dont seem to be in production as yet, have seen the re-radiating ones advertised, but not sure if they will suit, 44 quid for something that does`nt work is not on,

So if anybody has any clues, please let me know.

Mike and Pearl

·
Registered
181 Posts
hi mike & pearl i have used a re-radiating antenna with a garmin street pilot as the gps was useless on its own in a citroen picasso because of the particular kind of windscreen they use. with the re-radiating antenna it was perfect and never lost satelites again. the only downside was i had to get a doubler for the cigarette socket as i needed a feed to the antenna and the garmin.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re-radiating antenna

Hi Loury777, now that bit of info has cheered me up greatly, :D as I was pondering just what to do, I did order an external antenna from NavCity, but when it arrived it turned out to be the one for thew tomtom classic, different mounting pedestal, so had to send it back, next tried the tomtom site, yes they have brought ouut these new units, 300,500,and 700, but have not made any accessories for them as yet, and you cannot get a straight answer from them as to when they will be available.
Then saw these re-radiating antenna, even tom tom sell them, but was`nt sure if they would work in the van, so the query for info, the tom tom unit works spot on in my daughters car, we tried it on a journey to Nottingham, worked spot on, but in the van I have a job to pick up maybe one or two sats, and then lose them on some corners, so antenna is needed.
Anyway, thankyou for the reply, I`ll go and get me one toots sweet and let you know later if the problem solved.

Mike and Pearl

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Mike

I've got a picasso and had the same problem, wife didn't like me driving about with my hand out of the window so brought my antenna off e-bay. If look now there is one going for £10 and the auction ends in three hours.

Good luck
Phil

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Antennas

Hi Glen432, thanks for the reply, very much appreciated, but perhaps its me, but I dont much like E-Bay, to much messing about , buts thats only my opinion, have got one on order from Global positioning systems, should be here by saturday, I hope, and I hope it cures the loss of sats.

Mike

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re-radiating antennas

Hi everyone, thought I would give you an update, re-radiating antenna arrived on saturday morning last, and after a cup of tea decided to try it out, sited on the dashboard about six inches away from the tomtom unit, plugged it in and sited the recieving part on top of the luton, bingo, all the sat bars lit up like a christmas tree, and this was sat in the drive right up against the front porch, where I could not recieve any sat signals previously, so ended up with two velcro sticky back patches about 2inches square, stuck one to the antenna plate, the other to the roof of the van, have tried it out on a short journey, no problems, its stuck fast, so thankyou gentlemen for solving my problem,

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Loury777 said:
hi mike & pearl i have used a re-radiating antenna with a garmin street pilot as the gps was useless on its own in a citroen picasso because of the particular kind of windscreen they use. with the re-radiating antenna it was perfect and never lost satelites again. the only downside was i had to get a doubler for the cigarette socket as i needed a feed to the antenna and the garmin.
Hi,

Do you have a link to the re-radiating antenna please?

I have experienced problems through poor reception, but on my third anntenna, I decided to pay extra and as a result it performace is far superior to the previous two that I have used. But it will be handy to have are-radiating antenna for other gps equipment.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re-radiating antenna

Hi Steve,
Try the url Loury777 has given, thats where I purchased mine from, delivered in 2 days, simple to fit, just a matter of hiding the wires instead of having them trailing all over the place, the difference in reception was amazing, wish you success.

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi, thanks for the links.

I've presently got one receiver mounted on top of my van (see here) which is working fine as its a high sensitivity one (website not updated), but I was thinking of another vehicle, plus others are always asking me how to overcome their problems with poor reception, at least I can say what others have used to cure their problems :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.