Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Recipes thread

20K views 375 replies 12 participants last post by  GMJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Jan mentioned starting a thread to put any favourite recipes in so shall we give it a go?

I guess many of us have 'old classics' that we use regularly and which perhaps have many variations to them. Please do share them.

I'll pop the ones in that I have mentioned on the 'What are you doing today? thread to kick off...

#163 ·
I did the small puds to go with the curry and it tasted nice but I still have the same rising issue as you can see, I tried putting them onto the oven door this tim but then of course the hot air escapes.

So I'm looking for a 30cm tin to use on the hob next as this is doing my head in, but I can't find one that will work on an induction hob, any ideas?

Food Ingredient Staple food Recipe Cuisine

#165 ·
Why would I do that?

#166 ·
So you don´t have to keep bending down, I thought that's the reason your not putting the pan in the oven to heat the fat.
I can´t remember the last time I made Yorkshires a few weeks ago maybe so I have just got the ingredients out to make 12 little ones.

#167 ·
You seem to be losing track of the thread, of course I put the tin in the oven to warm the oil first, I could do without the bending but it's only briefly to take the tin out and back in

#169 ·
I give up.

• Wow
Reactions: raynipper
#173 ·
If you followed my posts in this thread you wouldn't have had to ask the questions you have.

#174 ·
Maybe if you read what you write then my answer you will get my point.
I said nothing about eating them cold for instance.
You talked about an induction plate.
You complained about your back not liking to bend down to the oven, hence my little attempt at humour about the eye level oven
You ignore when I say the fat /oil must come to smoking point IN the oven, the whole tin has to be burning hot before putting the mixture in, heating the tin on top of the stove is not the same.
Your last picture looks as if they are individual little tins, don`t know how that works to get the fat hot enough.
This time I will give up. My Yorkshires tasted good by the way, I even made some gravy using the mix left over as a base, very very tasty.

#175 ·
I have said that I think the tin is cooling too fast after putting the mixture in.

I have said that we have an induction hob

I have said I tried putting the it on the oven door to put the mix in the tin but it didn't work and also lost the heat from the oven.

I have said I need a tin that I can use on the induction hob.

"You ignore when I say the fat /oil must come to smoking point IN the oven, the whole tin has to be burning hot before putting the mixture in, heating the tin on top of the stove is not the same." I didn't ignore it I'm well aware it needs to be hot as it's in the recipe I have (not sure if I posted that bit) heating the tin on the hob is in the recipe too, but I've not got a compatible tin.

to see the full recipe google Sams toad in the hole it's on the BBC website, I did post that I think before.

As for the individual tins I did post that as I was going to put the curry in them.

Very glad that yours turned out nice but they are little ones and we like big ones that wasn't a problem before, and I'm pretty much stumped if when I get a induction hob tin.

Not sure where the plate came from, I may have mentioned that a work around is to put a steel plate on the induction hob, but I wouldn't do it as it can bugger it up.

#177 ·
Sorry, didn't see the post., this is the one which I started out with.

Notice step three, which I'm not able to do without a different tin.

#178 ·
We could maybe do with a few more recipes to try, Grahams Curry works really well with Beef too, (Pork was crap) but it needs to be coaxed over three days, heating and cooling then the beef is tender like the chicken, not got lamb yet as I'd need a mortgage and not found any Goat meat.

#179 ·
Goat meat £18 per Kilogramme online, I need to find a Caribbean butchers I think.

#180 ·
More cheaper, and they breed their own goats and I can collect as we pass them often enough, or you can order online.

#181 ·
Last Monday we had our favourite curry, i.e. Chicken Ginger & Black Pepper. Tonight, after buying a 1kilo pack of Turkey Steaks (£7.99) from Lidl, we are having Grahams first recipe, Turkey Dopiaza accompanied with a glass (or two) of Argentinian Malbec.

#182 ·
Ditto but a beef one I did a couple of weeks ago and put in the freezer.

#185 ·
Here's a new recipe I tried last night. Quick and simple to cook and very tasty. It's also vegetarian so doing our bit for the planet!

...and it's not a curry either :)

Field Mushrooms stuffed with goats cheese and sun tried tomatoes

4 large field mushroom
150-ish grams of soft goats cheese
10 SD tomatoes
1 Tsp dried basil
Pepper to taste

- Put the oven on to heat at 180 degrees (Gas Mark 4).

- Wipe the mushrooms and carefully take out their stalks.

- Mix the goats cheese; chopped SDT's and the basil in a bowl. Add black pepper to taste.

- Fill the mushrooms with the mixture and drizzle on a small amount of the SDT oil from the jar.

- Pop on a baking tray in the oven for 15 mins.

Serve on a bed of rocket with a fine drizzle of Balsamic Dressing. We have a low carb diet but this could be accompanied by garlic bread as well.

#186 ·
Thank you Graham, all printed, laminated and added to "Grahams Recipes".

We are not fans of Garlic Bread and I limit myself to two slices of wholemeal a day, however on a Saturday we always have a thick slice of Sourdough with "Whatever we fancy" for our lunch. One guess as to what we will be having this Saturday.

#187 ·
The recipe could also be done with half the ingredients and served as a starter for 2 as well. We had it years ago as a starter at a friends house, made slightly differently with pesto instead of SDT's.

I take your point on garlic bread. Sourdough garlic bread and cheese does sound nice though!

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear
#188 ·
I bought 2 packet of chicken medallions yesterday going 30% cheaper so you see why.
I have just made a variation of Dupiaza with chicken of course, but this time no chilli powder (curry powder instead) no fresh ginger (lemon juice instead) a huge onion from Horst that turned out to have been frozen inside so had to pick out the good bits, only one garlic because the rest had gone bad so used garlic powder. Dried coriander.
It is now infusing, I will have some later with rice or noodle, I hope I can eat it this time without the chilli.

Sound a bit like one of OXO Katies recipes

#190 ·
I am glad you said this Graham and not me, I was tempted to reply yesterday but decided against it as I would be dining on: "Neurudnitz Tongue Pie" for the next few days. Having tried it a few times in the past, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't to my liking.

#193 ·
The photographs of your bread, Yorkshire Puddings etc. are spot on, "Cooked to Perfection".

I buy all our chicken from Lidl, especially when they have the "Specials" i.e. Chicken Breasts, Diced or Sliced. Last week they had sliced Turkey Breasts and so far we cannot complain, all have been excellent.