Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Recipes thread

20K views 375 replies 12 participants last post by  GMJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Jan mentioned starting a thread to put any favourite recipes in so shall we give it a go?

I guess many of us have 'old classics' that we use regularly and which perhaps have many variations to them. Please do share them.

I'll pop the ones in that I have mentioned on the 'What are you doing today? thread to kick off...

#286 ·
The Joys of gardening Jan, these thing happen for no reason whatsoever. Don't give up, try again using a different seed supplier.

I use Thompson & Morgan & Sutton seeds, and have had the same problems now and again. Along with 5 other varieties I planted 5 Thessalonici tomato seeds last march, all the seeds germinated other than the Thessalonici. I planted 5 more Thessalonici in April all of which germinated. I must add that 3 of each plants were for Joyces daughter.

All plants produced an abundance of fruits except the Thessalonici, my two plants have grown to a height of 5 feet, all side shoots were removed and I have only had 1 tomato from the 2 plants. Joyces daughters plants are exactly the same.

Plant Food Orange Natural foods Fruit

#290 ·
I have just started the automatic process of cleaning the inside of the oven, the bit I hate is cleaning the shelves and rack.
Found this on YouTube and thought you also might like to see how it´s easily done.
Trouble is it´s Sunday and I don´t have any oven cleaner so they will have to wait until tomorrow.

#291 ·
The oven looks like a Miele? That is the racks cleaned, what about the inside, especially the inner top.

Our oven, same as the one shown, is just under 20 years old and is clean as it was when we first bought it. I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to ovens, and clean ours after every use. I can't see the point of letting the fat etc. stick to the inside and burn itself onto the metalwork and then spending hours trying to clean it.

#292 ·
Yes Drew. Ours is a self cleaning oven but as it takes two hours on full power my wife has only ever used it once.! Never lets either the inside or racks get too dirty and the shelves/racks always go in the dishwasher.

Ray.

#294 ·
I think our dishwasher only gets used at weekends if entertaining. ............................................. and for oven bits.

Ray.

#295 ·
I don´t have a laccy (and I don´t know how it´s spelt either) to clean my oven and wouldn't dream of doing it each time a bake a loaf, that's about all it gets used for now, or to cook the occasional Pizza or casserole. What with the Omnigrill, Optigrill and Microwave, the oven is almost obsolete.
My oven is 16 years old, had the deep clean I would say 4 times, I don´t clean mine, change the silver foil off the floor of the oven after every half a dozen uses or if something has spilt on it. It´s stopped cleaning now, 2 hours every 4 years or so won´t break the bank.
I didn´t used to use my dish washer until I was told that was why my first one packed up, lack of use, so I use mine all the time now, about every 4-5 days it gets turned on.

#297 ·
I wouldn't have a clue about actually making it Jan, all I do know is Prue puts some marmalade in and it's lovely and tangy.

Ray.

#301 ·
That is buddy luverly, next time I will cut off the crusts, my own bake that I wanted to use up because the crusts on this loaf are chewy not crusty and they remained chewy, not what I wanted at all, but the flavour is superb,
Bread broken up,
Sultanas soaked with a couple of table spoons of Navy rum for ???
pint of milk,
250gr softened butter
3 eggs
3 tbsp. suger
2 pets vanilla suger
1 file of vanilla
1 of lemon flavour
flat egg spn of salt
3 tbl spns marmalade
Sprinkled brown sugar over the top
heaped teaspoon cinnamon
heaped tsp mixed spice

I think that's it

I just chucked everything except the bread and sultana's in a bowl and whisked it up with the elec mixer then turned in the sultanas and bred. plonked it into a dish and microwaved it on high for 15 mins.

#302 ·
Sorry Jan, she is knackered after crafting all day and then dinner so later or tomorrow, if I keep reminding her.

Ray.

#304 ·
Hi Jan. Prue said she basically does the same as you with minor variations.

Spread the bread with butter and marmalade. Layer in dish. Sprinkle sultanas evenly in dish. Whisk 4 eggs & milk. Use 1/2 cup of cream, add sugar and pour into dish & cook.
Nut meg on top with brown sugar.

Ray.

• Helpful
Reactions: JanHank
#305 ·
Thanks Ray, that was how I used to make it by spreading the butter on the bread, then I looked on internet as we do these days, instead of in my hand written book and thought this sounded an easier way. Next time I will do it Prue´s way.
What is Prue short for, a posh lovely name like Prunelle ?

#307 ·
Does anyone else remember having bread pepper and salt as a child, my brother Paul was champion at making it for me when I was a toddler, we loved it.
Soak stale bread, with crust cut off, in boiling water, leave for a couple of mins, drain off water, add a lump of butter, pepper and salt, give it a stir and eat.
Bread and milk was made the same replacing water with hot milk, but don´t drain it, add butter and sugar to taste. There are no instructions I can find on the internet for either, I suppose people think that's a poor mans meal, well it was :D and we loved both, must try to see if I still like them.

I have to use my home made bread, I have discovered shop bread is extremely noisy, I haven´t eaten any shop bread for a week and all is quiet again, heaven knows what they put in other than flour, salt, water and yeast, bread only used to last a day before it was stale, now it lasts for yonks.

#308 ·
We were very poor when I was a kid and I can remember bread and milk as a meal but there was certainly no butter to be had. Maybe some sugar, I can't recall.

#310 ·
We had industrial size tubs of glorified axle grease passing as marge. It was always pretty grim after a while dodging all the bits that others had left in there from their dirty knives. Yuck! Minging!!

• Sad
Reactions: raynipper
#313 ·
War widows just after the war had it really hard. Chucked out of accommodation and jobs for the returning men to have, treated as second class beings and paid one third a mans wage. Rationing and £1 war pension at that time.

Ray.

• Sad
Reactions: GMJ