Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remoska Electric Cooker

I have seen in caravan/camper magazines a cooker advertised referred to as the best secret in the Chech Republic. It is powered by electricity and only requires 450W. All the write ups rave about this cooking gadget. It is supposed to be able to cook everything from cakes, toasties, roast potatoes, crispy chicken, you name it, it can do it.

The big selling point I suppose is that they are compact, quite a bonus if space is at a premium. Ideal for the smaller motorcaravans

Does any one have one or know of any person that has used it. Are they as good as they say or is it just a marketing ploy ? They are not cheap starting at £69.95.
They can be found at
www.lakelandnlimited.co.uk

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yep Ive read alot about them but the one big prob is they run on 240V so unless your at a site they arent much use but having said that I am intreaged too..

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Remoska

We bought a remoska about two months ago as we don't have an oven in our motorhome.so far I have used it for heating up ready meals, and have also tried out recipes from the remoska book(Also purchased at Lakeland) The vegetable options are really interesting!

It cooks food slightly quicker than conventional, only has one temperature, and we are always amazed by how hot it gets in a short period of time!

http://www.hoorayforhomecooking.com/recipe.htm
Take a look at this website for a sample of the recipes

It's easy to wash the baking dish, only gripe is the price, but as Lakeland are the only company that stock it,not much choice there.

We looked for one when in Europe which we thought would be easy, as it initiates from Czechoslovakia, but no-one had heard of them, must be a well kept secret!

Overall, we rate it as a very good investment happy cooking!
We wouldn't be without ours! Happy cooking!

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Thanks for that input Hymie (and welcome to the forums, by the way).

We've heard of them before but you always wonder whether they are just another gimmicky gadget.

Gillian

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Have seen that these Remoskas get good reports & have thought of treating myself but hadn't heard from a "real person" who had one before.

I have a little oven with a griddle/grill on it which I use in the van (Tefal but they don't seem to make them anymore). It is very compact & can be used in lots of different ways. I decided to wait till that gives up the ghost & then treat myself.

Do they sell the recipe book separate or can you only order it with the cooker? It sounds interesting & maybe I could adapt it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yes thanks hymie, we too may be looking at such a purchase but still worried about the mains voltage since we tend to be self contained and wild camp but yep its good to heat from a real user rather than the advertising hype. I would have thought you got the recipe book with it too!!

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
I seem to remember someone saying that they cooked with a Remoska whilst they were traveling by using the inverter, and when they got to their destination the meal was ready I think they put the cooker in the sink for safety, I'm not completely sure of my facts but it makes sense to me.

Ken S.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
This sounds a great little cooker but for mains only.

This cooker is rated at 450 watts, if this were hooked up to an invertor it would be drawing almost 42 amps from the battery.(invertor 90% efficient) 8O
Someone may correct me, but the alternator would be unable supply this current and you would end up with a flat battery before very long.
Previous posts refered to slow cookers with low wattages.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Ducato Alternator outputs as follows:
Petrol versions 12v-80Amp
1.9D and 1.9TD version 12V-75Amp
2.5D and 2.8dTD version 12 V-90Amp
With Air Conditioner:
Petrol 12V-90Amp
1.9D and 1.9TD 12V 100Amp
2.5D and 2.8idTD 12V-110amp

Unless the book is wrong as well

Ken S.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Sorry for any misunderstanding. I am well aware of alternator outputs but the maximun designed charge to the leisure battery is not the same as the maximum output from the alternator.
On my van the charging circuit to the leisure battery from the alternator is protected by a 30 amp fuse which would melt if subjected to a constant load of 42 amps.
Hence my comment about flattening the battery while driving.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The battery won't rapidly run flat if the engine is running, however with the replacement of the said fuse with a slightly higher one would be fine provided the vans cables are robust enough.

Subject to suitable wiring the battery would probably not discharge as the alternator would keep up with the current drain.

Click here for my van website!

I do like a bit of feed back to my posts please

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Averywildwildcamper said:
The battery won't rapidly run flat if the engine is running, however with the replacement of the said fuse with a slightly higher one would be fine provided the vans cables are robust enough.

Subject to suitable wiring the battery would probably not discharge as the alternator would keep up with the current drain.
Sounds fine in theory Steve, but I have to ask, would you do it or recommend it ?

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
I have tracked down the article I read and lo and behold! Who was it but our very own Autostratus on another forum, maybe you can throw some light on it Gillian.(I know you did not mention the Remoska by name.)

I know this is stretching the tolerence of the authors of this thread but I must make a reply to the other posting.

With ref to the discharging of the battery, anyone intending to use a slow cooker of that wattage from an inverter, would have to have an inverter of at least 600w (cooker 450W) anyone using a 600w inverter would be unwise not to have either one very high capacity (unusual) or (more normally) two medium or high capacity batteies ie between 85 and 115 Amp hour each, assuming that most Motor homers are sensible people lets plump for the later. This would mean that the cooker could run between 2.5 and 3.75 hrs before the inverter cuts out and that’s without taking in consideration the charging rate.

The full load applied from the cooker would not addressed by the alternator until the voltage of the combine batteries had dropped low enough for the regulator to allow a higher charge and that is when the fuse would blow.

Remembering the batteries are being continuously charged (Albeit low at first) the load taken by the cooker is being topped up all the time, I would judge without sitting down and working it out to be well in excess of 15 hrs. I should hope my lunch would be cooked well within that time.

Also my vehicle has had the wiring and fuse modified but not because of a cooker, and despite what you say it is not unusual practice.

No more to be said by me

Ken S.

·
Registered
565 Posts
scotjimland said:
Sounds fine in theory Steve, but I have to ask, would you do it or recommend it ?

Jim
As I said "Subject to suitable wiring" yes I would.

This is the reason why its important to install an Invertor as closes as possible to the supply and use large cables. Likewise its important to install decent size cables in your charging circuits. The cable I used to link my batteries (leisure and starter) is 95mmsq. Yes ninety-five mm. Why so big? Basically I wanted to minimise the volt drop with high current loads.

Job done.

Click here for my van website!

I do like a bit of feed back to my posts please

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi, I recently bought a double skillet from the NEC show. It works in a similar fashion only on gas. I haven't used it much so far but it certainly does an excellent fry up and I've cooked crispy chicken and roast potatoes in it. Because it has a lid on you don't get splattering and it reduces the smell. (Also supposed to cook cakes, heat up pies etc.) Quite a versatile piece of equipment, comes in 2 sizes. I bought the larger one which I think was about £45. I considered the Remoska but decided against it as we often camp without hook-up (and I'm clueless about inverters :oops: ).
Chris

·
Registered
88 Posts
We've bought a Remoska from Lakeland, and are really pleased with the results. As has been mentioned before, it's quick at heating up pre-prepared dinners and the like, and it does cut down on splatter etc if you're cooking sausages, bacon.

Since we got our van in December we've used the Remoska more than the hob for cooking (we don't have an oven or a grill in the van), but now that it's getting warmer and we're doing more hookupless (is that a real word?) camping, we'll probably be using our barbeque more.

If you don't have an oven, I'd recommend it!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
KenS said:
I seem to remember someone saying that they cooked with a Remoska whilst they were traveling by using the inverter, and when they got to their destination the meal was ready I think they put the cooker in the sink for safety, I'm not completely sure of my facts but it makes sense to me.

Ken S.
Hi ken

I remember reading something like that but i thought that was a slow cooker.

Motorhomer

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Motorhomer

Yes you are quite right it was a slow cooker, in my ignorance I thought with such a low wattage a Remoska was a slow cooker, obviously I’ve a lot to learn in the cookery dept.

Suitably red faced, ashamed and standing in the corner.

Ken S.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.