Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am hoping theres someone out there that can help me, i've just got a new to me 1999 hymer B574 on a fiat 2.8jtd and would like to fit a removeable steering wheel. Is there anyone that has done this, how easy is it to do, cost, and where to buy them. any assistance or advice would be great.
thanks Scott :)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
:D Hi scott if the idea is to remove the steering wheel for security purposes? Then why not fit a battery isolator with a switch hidden out of view? Much cheaper and just as effective.

·
Registered
669 Posts
hi scott

had mine fitted for security and access. supplied and fitted by essanjay motorhomes at poole. give steve at essanjay a ring for a price. they are an official Fiat service centre. if you want additional security devices fitted they also fit extra door locks.

mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi.i have a removeable steering wheel,it was allready on my motorhome,go to www.snapoff.com for all details.great antithief device, just take it off when you leave the van and hide it away .dave .

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Kelvyn,
I would be interested in where you saw them for £100?
I searched Halfords and Demon Tweeks and neither of them had them listed.
In fact Halfords wanted over £100 for a steering wheel spacer!
BillD

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hi

I looked around for differant prices, and you can indeed get snap off boss kits that they use in track cars, and cheap steering wheels. You'd still be looking at over £150, and you wouldn't get the key and lock that makes sure the thing can't be pinched when its on the the vehicle. The locking mechanism also stops the driver from removing it by accident when driving.

I doubt Halfords would sell anything like this due the the safety aspect, i.e. they would be wary about being sued by some teenager who pulled the thing off while driving.

Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
I;m currently sat typing this with my steering wheel beside me, (taken off the car with a Raid Snap-Off kit).

Very much the same bit of kit as this - http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/428

Or here at demon tweeks.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catal..._SNAPOFF&PGRP=RP025&GRP=RP025&PCODE=MOMBG2105

The steering wheel cannot be removed while driving unless you use the key in the lock, there are the 2 release catches, and for safety the locking mechanism.

Never ever purchase through Hellfrauds unless you have to, 90% of the time it will be cheaper elsewhere.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks Kelvyn,
That is an amazing difference in price.
Do you happen to know if they will fit Fiat Ducato steering wheels? I am not a motoring geek!
BillD

·
Registered
29 Posts
Beware of Raid s/wheels...or any wheel with a hard plastic (in this case, fake wood grain) rim.
Just spent 2 weeks with one in hot Spain & France. My hands sweated so much I kept losing grip.
I was wiping the wheel every few minutes, which in itself is downright dangerous.
I was not impressed

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hi Kelvyn

Missed this post, but must say that the steering wheel kit is the same as the one i have, so some money to be saved here.

mine is the same boss kit, Ducato owners should be careful as the splines change around 1990, and then again in 1994 i think.

As your previous post this is the boss kit

http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/428

I can't find a comparable steering wheel on the site, but 50-75 quid should do it.

My steering wheel is about 1" smaller in overall diameter than the standard ducato item, and the steering wheel is about 2 inches nearer the dashboard, which is ok for me, but may be a problem for anyone shorter than 5 foot 9, as my driving position is with the seat fully forward now. Maybe it could be altered, but then maybe you don't want to go to that trouble.

good piece of kit to have, I'm not allowed to go to bed until i have taken the steering wheel off the van.

Pah - Women :) :) :)

Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.