Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We are looking at purchasing a Renault Master MM33TD for around 12.5k.
It has 47k on the clock. Registered May 1998.
It has a full service history and 1 previous owner but is being sold by a dealer.
As a neewbie it looks pretty sound and just what we are after.
Before I part with any cash I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has owned one and can share any advice on good or bad points that I would need to be aware of to help us make a final decision.
Any help would be appreciated as we are complete beginners !

Thanks

Giles :D

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I am a fairly long term owner ( about six years ) of one of the earlier model RMs: a 1992 model converted to camper in 1996, and also own the [email protected] which is an e-mail list for owners and enthusiasts of Masters.

I don't actually know much about the specific model that you are interested in. 1998 is the first year of the 'new' Renault Master and is somewhat different in many respects than the 'old' one which had been going in very much the same form since 1983. They did however have the basic same engines in some models, both turbo and non-turbo: probably the 2500cc diesel. This engine is a 'SOFIM' unit also found in some Fiats and Peugeots. The 1998 on Masters have the engine mounted transversely instead of longitudinally between the cab seats which is probably better!

The one you are looking at *is* ten years old.

I wonder what the conversion is: is it a professional conversion from new? Is it professional from 'used'?

Is it a 'self build'?
These may affect the actual value and you should know what it is before buying.

Renault Masters are very popular with 'self builders' but were not very often used as the base for a professionally conversion.

I must say that I find the size is excellent for two.

Hope that is of some assistance.

Harvey

·
Registered
99 Posts
gig said:
Thank you for the reply. :D The motorhome was registered as a motorhome from new. It was a professional build from a Renault dealer.
I purchaced a new master in 1998,long wheelbase and a medium roof,used it for work for a year or so then self coverted it to cary two small race motorcycles in the rear,it sleeps two on a pemenant fixed bed over the garage/shed.used to tow caravn but due to prices of camp sites and not being able to use aires on the continent with the caravan purchaced a hymer 680.which do i prefer?the renault,it has now done 240.000 trouble free miles one driver,oil and filter every 5000 miles,it is on its 4th cam belt,original clutch,exhaust,drives a dream.the hymer is a beautiful vehicle to live in ,but on the road it is like a railway carrage wallowing along,( i shall now keep my head down from hymer owners)
Do check front discs on master as on 1998 ones changing them requires the drive shafts to be removed from final drive.I think you will be well satisfied with the renault.
Cheers.
Pete. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cam belt

Make sure you check all the paperwork and if it has a cam belt (timing) check it's been changed and also has it had a full service as per manual. Unfortunately our wasn't, Knaus Sun TI on a renault master and dont get conned into the extra warranty, not worth the paper. Hopefully Martins Exeter will refund this to us to help with the cost of said cam belt. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.