Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked about it on another thread, but thought it best to open it up to the knowledge :grin2:

I am renewing my passport and did it on line. Today I had an email asking me to send my old passport to them, as they say it going to be about 10 weeks Before I get the new one and I will still need my passport because in May I to go to the Netherlands how will that work with no passport should I be asked for one? I’m OK if I stay in Germany because I have a German pass, but it doesn’t work outside of Germany.
I will be ringing the Passport office in the morning, I just thought this was rather strange to want the old one so soon.

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
Renewed mine 2 years ago before first lock down and covid panic. It was surprisingly quick, much quicker than they said. But from I remember there was an express service available at a premium (isn't it always the same these days). Can't remember what the premium was might be worth inquiring Jan.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Did ours and although told it would take 10 weeks, it actually took 10 days.

I would not send the old one back until you have the new one in your hand. Yes, you have received an email, but if you send it back all they do is chop the corner off to show it is no longer valid.

Send it back once they have sent you the new one, people can be a little slow over such things “just in case”.

AFAIK you had to book and pay for the express service at the time of booking, it can’t be opted for later. I think the 10 weeks is the standard just to cover themselves.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I talked about it on another thread, but thought it best to open it up to the knowledge :grin2:

I am renewing my passport and did it on line. Today I had an email asking me to send my old passport to them, as they say it going to be about 10 weeks Before I get the new one and I will still need my passport because in May I to go to the Netherlands how will that work with no passport should I be asked for one? I'm OK if I stay in Germany because I have a German pass, but it doesn't work outside of Germany.
I will be ringing the Passport office in the morning, I just thought this was rather strange to want the old one so soon.
Renewed ours in January this year. Application completed online, using the photo code service, passports arrived after 7 days. Brilliant service.

·
Premium Member
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for those encouraging words boys, yes I saw the express services, but as the present one doesn’t run out until June didn’t take it.
The email was an automatic one so I’ll not bother waiting 20 mins to talk to a human at the passport office as I did last week, I’ll just send the old when I have the new. What colour will it be? If it’s blue I’ll be getting it muddled with Motley’s passport :grin2:

·
Premium Member
11,786 Posts
I suspect the sending off thing is the same as the driving licence over here. From memory I think they ask that you cut that up and send that off too...which I suspect many don't bother doing (I didn't)

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
I have up to date knowledge of this little problem.

To use the passport anywhere other than your country of residence, it needs to be no older than 9 years and 6 months from the date of issue, no matter what expiry date is shown on the passport.
Since Brexit, UK issued passports are only valid for 10 years from renewal rather than as was previously 10 years plus the unexpired time left on the one being renewed.
Being issued from a 3rd country most destinations require at least 6 months unexpired time to allow its use.
If an EU resident holding a UK passport the procedure to renew is carried out online, the process is easily followed and simple to complete, including taking your own identity photo, paying the fee and submitting the application, you then get the message that you must then send your old passport to the given address to enable the process to complete.
My wife's passport had an expiry date in January 2023 but because of the above mentioned had to be renewed by November 2022, we have travels planned and decided to get the renewal completed in good time, so went ahead with the application following all of the rules and guidelines set out on the website. They suggest that it is advisable to send using signed for delivery postage, which luckily we did.
That was 26 days ago and we still get email reminders to send the old one back and when going to the web site for updates simply get the message that we must send the old one back.
They will not process the new application until they receive the old one back.

Not sure how this will end up but at the moment we are at a loss as to what to do, they tell us that it is not uncommon for it to take some time for the old one to arrive.
When both our passports were last renewed (from France) it was done via the Embassy in Paris and completed quickly and without problem, although I'm pretty sure we had to send the old ones with the application.

·
Premium Member
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh Heck, so what happens in May when I want to go out of this country and I have no passport, not that I have ever had to show it to get into a country it’s only if I need it for any other reason, will the email that confirms I am renewing it be sufficient I wonder.
I had better ring them today.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
For you to go to the Netherlands don't think you'd have a problem, no border checks and I'm pretty sure they'd recognise your German i.d. document if push came to shove.

If you still have your old passport and it will still have 6 months validity when you travel just hang on to it and take it with you, when you get back send it to the passport office to complete your application and wait for the new one to drop into your letter box.

·
Premium Member
25,559 Posts
Or scan and copy the relevant pages to carry with you Jan.

Ray.

Reactions: JanHank

·
Premium Member
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For you to go to the Netherlands don't think you'd have a problem, no border checks and I'm pretty sure they'd recognise your German i.d. document if push came to shove.

If you still have your old passport and it will still have 6 months validity when you travel just hang on to it and take it with you, when you get back send it to the passport office to complete your application and wait for the new one to drop into your letter box..
Of course, pretty obvious when I stop to think John, I´ll be home the middle of June so as soon as I get back into Germany end of May I can post off the old one and I will probably be home when the new one gets here. I won´t need a passport or a pass for some time after.

·
Premium Member
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have decided to go with Rays idea, I have copied the photo and information page plus the 2 emails from the passport office, I will post the passport off today and if I am very lucky maybe the new one will be here before I go away on the 10th April, if not I will be in the Netherlands between 26th and 30th of May so if you don´t hear from me after that you´ll know I´ve been locked up until BJ pays the ransom :laugh:

·
Premium Member
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to confirm what has been said above, one can travel throughout EU on a Resident's Card.
Not on a German one I was told, I need to take my passport when I go into Poland Geoff, not unless the rules have changed in the past 2 years. I have a permanent residence card and was told when I picked it up this is not the same as the deutschereisepass that they have to replace the passport in the EU. I think they now need the full Reisepass to travel to the UK.

Anyway I have been thinking on my walk as I often do and when I renew this pass I will ask about getting a German one, dual nationality is allowed here, I think my language skill will pass, not sure about politics or history though.:frown2:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
MrsW has dual German/British nationalities as a result of the murder of her paternal grandparents in Auschwitz. She now has a full German passport and a German identity card as well as a British passport and a 10 year (maximum) French residency card. So as many bases covered as possible.

I was not aware that passports are now only up to years from date of issue thanks for that, ours are due for replacement next year so we will tackle that early on…….

Do let us know how things go with you, particularly as regards how long it takes for your new passport to arrive.

·
Premium Member
25,559 Posts
Yes and yes again Jan. And the Brexiteers just say 'Get on with it'.

Any original doc I send off gets copied both sides and shrunk wrapped. My expired Carte de Sejour was used like that for almost two years and no one questioned it.

Ray.

Reactions: JanHank

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Update on our dilemma, as mentioned previously we sent the original via La Poste signed for delivery, with that service when you fill out the reams of paperwork associated with it, there is a return slip which when the delivery is completed and signed for gets returned to the sender as proof of delivery.
The proof slip arrived back with the post yesterday showing that the passport office received it 17 days ago but the web site still asks for it to be returned.
Gave up on the phone call as it's very easy to lose the will to live hanging on.

Wonder when they will admit to receiving it?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts