Motorhome Facts Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I gave up on the phone yesterday being told waiting time was 10 minutes on 2 occasions, by the time they answer I would have forgotten what I was phoning for :frown2:

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
There is no point trying to speak to anyone. The whole system works on speech recognition which means it doesnt recognise the need to actually speak to someone. I sent them an email ( it promises a reply within 48 hours)...I received a reply after I got my new passport , about 3 weeks later.
The online photo thing is a bit hit and miss. Mine was rejected even though it showed up as " very good". I immediately did another one but no amount of trying would get it past "poor". I submitted it anyway and when asked for a reason simply wrote " I do actually look like this ". Passport was issued straight away !
You can get emergency travel documents from your nearest consulate that shouldnt take more than 3 days. This information is not easy to find btw . I didnt go down this route in the end so cannot tell you if it actually works.

·
Premium Member
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I did speak to someone last week Sal after I had taken a photo in one of those booths, it made me look like an escaped convict, I just thought, oh well never mind nobody has looked at my passport in the past 10 years except when I applied for my German pass, anyway it asked for a number off the photo, but the number was nothing like the example they had given, after press this and that it took about 10 minutes, I finally got someone who told me how to attach the photo using my iphone, I tried what she told me and it wouldn’t accept it. I had a professional take a photo, it still didn’t want to accept it so like you I said a professional had taken the photo and it looked like me, it then went through. Jean reckons I’m smiling to much, I just have to wait and see.

·
Read Only
424 Posts
I talked about it on another thread, but thought it best to open it up to the knowledge /images/MotorhomeFacts_2014/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

I am renewing my passport and did it on line. Today I had an email asking me to send my old passport to them, as they say it going to be about 10 weeks Before I get the new one and I will still need my passport because in May I to go to the Netherlands how will that work with no passport should I be asked for one? I'm OK if I stay in Germany because I have a German pass, but it doesn't work outside of Germany.
I will be ringing the Passport office in the morning, I just thought this was rather strange to want the old one so soon.
Old proverb: 'If you look like your passport photo, you are too ill to travel' ... 🙄

Steve

·
Premium Member
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Tracking number tells me my passport was delivered to the passport office yesterday. I´m no longer worried about getting it before I leave because the Netherland trip is cancelled (have I told you that already?) We have another place here in Germany so my German pass will do.

I was thinking about applying for a German passport, but that means taking an exam, I have to have a B1 in the German language so that must mean an exam.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Tracking number tells me my passport was delivered to the passport office yesterday. I´m no longer worried about getting it before I leave because the Netherland trip is cancelled (have I told you that already?) We have another place here in Germany so my German pass will do.

I was thinking about applying for a German passport, but that means taking an exam, I have to have a B1 in the German language so that must mean an exam.
You need to take an exam in most countries to get a passport. I have B2 level in German but from a long time ago. From memory its not that difficult. Look up CEFR language levels and that will give a detailed explanation.

·
Premium Member
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You need to take an exam in most countries to get a passport. I have B2 level in German but from a long time ago. From memory its not that difficult. Look up CEFR language levels and that will give a detailed explanation.
Thanks Sal, how did you take the test, was it spoken or written?

·
Premium Member
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have just received an email from the passport office .

HM Passport Office
Dear Janet Koehne,
Application reference: PEX XXXXXXX deleted by me
What you need to do
Send us your old passport.
Use a strong envelope that is the right size for your passport. Check the weight and pay the correct postage - consider using signed for delivery. Send it to:
HM Passport Office
INT-DAP
PEX 354 746 9182
Freemans Reach
Riverside Place
Durham
DH1 1SL
UK
If you've already sent it
If you sent your old passport in the last 2 weeks, ignore this email. We'll let you know when we have it.
Track your application
You can track your application at: https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/track/
Please don't reply to this email - it's an automatic message from an unmonitored account.

I sent it 23.03.2022 They received it 28.03.2022 and they still ask for the passport to be sent.
I clicked on track your application and it tell me nothing other than to send my old passport.
However there is also a feedback option so I have asked them why they ask for it again when they already have it, adding the international packet number that I was able to trace delivery with.
Everything is done automatically there are no humans working anymore.

·
Premium Member
18,907 Posts
Like at DVLA humans are irrelevant, machines have taken over….

You need to reply in terms that it can understand eg

and that just says “Pissport Offoce “

Oooh, I may have made a mistake with a couple of vowels….. 🤔. 😭

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Be thankful you dont hold a Greek Passport my stepdaughter as one and you have to visit the embassy to renew it and it only lasts 5 years and costs the same as a Uk passport which means you need to renew at 4 years 6 months fortunatley she also holds a Spanish passport which lasts for 10 years and only costs 30 euro

·
Premium Member
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
On my mobile yesterday there was an article from the Guardian about people being constantly reminded to send their old passport when they have already sent them, I hope they all complain as I did and the passport office untwist their knickers. Seems I won´t be getting my new one before I go away unless it comes tomorrow. It isn´t terribly important as I am not going to Holland now and my German pass doesn't expire until June, when I will be home anyway. Would be fun to find out what would be done if I was caught crossing a border without one though.:grin2: Motley would be OK his is up to date.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
2 emails telling me my photo is not acceptable, a link for me to submit a new photo and tell me why the other was not accepted and the reason given was it is not a digital photo, I have resent it telling them it is a professional taken passport photo so must be digital. It seems they would rather you take a photo yourself than have a professional one taken, that’s fine if you have a white wall which I don’t and neither do many other people I don’t think.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
A newly ironed white/lightly coloured sheet hung over a door would have done the job.

As an add on to the above, one of my biggest problems when taking Passport type photographs was the lighting, there is an art to this and it can be a nightmare to set it up.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
2 emails telling me my photo is not acceptable, a link for me to submit a new photo and tell me why the other was not accepted and the reason given was it is not a digital photo, I have resent it telling them it is a professional taken passport photo so must be digital. It seems they would rather you take a photo yourself than have a professional one taken, that's fine if you have a white wall which I don't and neither do many other people I don't think.
I sent the first photo which their system had rated very good and it was rejected. The 2nd was taken against a yellow wall and was rated poor. I sent it anyway and it was accepted.
once you are at this stage your application is being constantly monitored so you will get fairly instant feedback.
Take a photo with a white camper as the backdrop. it should work.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts