Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
Hi Hogan.
We went earlier this year, and to be honest, we were in and out in less than a couple of hours and that included a 15 minute walk each way from the parking spot.
If it is on route, then it is something to see, but not worth a detour.
Seen nicer and much higher falls in Wales and Scotland, but not as wide.
We were going into Swiss so did have the vignette.

And I wouldn't bother too much with Bodensee. Nice but too touristy. Expensive stelplatz 13/14 euro
To give you an idea, the Mossel is 6 euro (mostly) some less and some foc
Nicer places further north. Try the river Main

·
Registered
871 Posts
We went in 2010 - just drove in from Germany! Never thought about it! :oops:
Waved at the uniformed men at the border on the way there and back but no-one stopped us. :)

But we are under 3500 so maybe we didn't need anything anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I don't agree with Garth at all, I thought this was a wonderful sight, well worth a detour and I'd definitely go again if in that area. :D
However we didnt know anything about Vignettes, we went a few years ago and like Blondel, we just drove straight in!! Ignorance is bliss!! :D :D

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
Wilmannie said:
I don't agree with Garth at all, I thought this was a wonderful sight, well worth a detour and I'd definitely go again if in that area. :D
However we didnt know anything about Vignettes, we went a few years ago and like Blondel, we just drove straight in!! Ignorance is bliss!! :D :D
Garth? don't know him :lol: Wrong name.
No seriously, that is what makes us all different :) So many times we have been told, you must go here, you must go there, only to be disappointed :cry:
We listen, but do our own research, everybody likes different things, and anybody asking, must make their own minds up.
Regarding Rhine Falls, it was OK but we have seen much nicer places.
Just our opinion :)

edit
I think that Rhine Falls had been built up pretty high, in our expectations, by what we had heard from other people. Maybe too much, and maybe this is why I have posted as I have. :?:

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Wilmannie said:
Agreed - wonderful spot and sound.

I wish we had gone on the boat trip too.

Russell

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Hi Hogan

We went last year and it was really nice but it peed down all day which detracted from it. i would say its worth a visit.
We found the car park very expensive though but i wonder if we were in the right one as 3 hrs cost is about 12 euro.

We went over the border ghoing into switzerland via a small country lane and the border control stopped us and asked if we had any meat on board. We told him about 2kg which was in the freezer which seemed to be OK.

If you want any pics and a couple of vids PM me an email address

Phill

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
drcotts said:
Hi Hogan

We went last year and it was really nice but it peed down all day which detracted from it. i would say its worth a visit.
We found the car park very expensive though but i wonder if we were in the right one as 3 hrs cost is about 12 euro.

We went over the border ghoing into switzerland via a small country lane and the border control stopped us and asked if we had any meat on board. We told him about 2kg which was in the freezer which seemed to be OK.

If you want any pics and a couple of vids PM me an email address

Phill
Thanks for the offer Phil,but we have decided not to bother its too much hassle .

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
We went to the Rhein Falls from Germany and were then 4.25 ton and didn't need a vignette.

We thought the Falls worth seeing but you can see for your self if you look at my webdone blog.

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
Hogan, I posted the picture so you could make a more informed decision. Personally, I think you have made the right one.

·
Registered
371 Posts
swiss

The Grand Dixence dam is worth a visit but is quite a drive to get there i believe its the largest in Europe but is very impressive, also the Sion underground lake,if you are going that way,

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Jonse what was parking like at the lake there doesnt look much on Google but would be interested however may well be in CB as not sure if Penny would be around or not to take us as she may be at work.
Thanks Caro :p

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
zulurita said:
We went to the Rhein Falls from Germany and were then 4.25 ton and didn't need a vignette.
Zulufrita

You say you visited the Falls from Germany but did you take the van? If so you didn't need a vignette but you certainly did need to pay the Heavy Vehicle Goods road tax applicable to all roads in Switzerland for a vehicle over 3500kg. If you got away with it good luck to you but, just for the record, the fines are heavy.

Back to the real subject and I think the falls are well worth a visit, if only to watch the locals taking there strange daily exercise. This consisted of jumping in the Rhine upriver a bit, floating down on the fast current, getting out again before the Falls, walking back to where they started and then repeating the whole process again, and again........

Ron

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
We were going next week, won't be anymore, thought you only needed one if using motorways but according to many web sites this is not so. See bottom question.
We went right through a section of Switzerland last year without one and around the edge of lake Geneva through borders a few times but never stopped and mostly unmanned borders.

http://www.tolltickets.com/country/swiss/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB

this may also be of interest

http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_firmen/04020/04204/04208/04246/index.html?lang=en

Mandy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.