Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:? Anyone any tips on what to put under a Roof Box to stop it fretting on the roof or where to get some hard wearing stick on foam to stick to the bottom of the box?
Don't believe in drilling holes in Motor Homes or Caravans, so have manufactured some brackets from my Roof Rack to hold it down, but it is bound to fret a bit.
Many thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi Jinks

It depends what kind of reef bars you have. My solution was to use those foam water pipe insulators (available from good DIY or plumbing stores). They wrap around the bars like a pipe. I also used aluminium scaffolding clamps which have a safely lock to clamp the box onto the bars.

Beware : Don't put any significant weight into a roof box on a motorhome. It has a significant effect on the centre of gravity.

Drifter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D Many thanks, will look at the Alloy Scaffold Clamps and the Pipe Insulation can be opened out and stuck to the bottom of the Box. My brackets are bolted through the Roof Bar Supports so they pull the box down onto the roof as a) everything is lower and b) the whole thing is a bit more rigid.
I know it's a bit like a bit of string, but what sort of weight would you suggest as a maximum. My van roof is about 2.7 metres high and it is on a MAXI chassis so it doesn't normally roll much.
Kind regards

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
Beware : Don't put any significant weight into a roof box on a motorhome. It has a significant effect on the centre of gravity.

Good heavens Drifter, I cannot think what might be that heavy in the normal motorhome kit to do this! Think you would need a crane to get it up there?

Seriously though, I would think what you carry up there is limited by what you can physically carry up the ladder bearing in mind you usually have to climb a ladder one handed with the chosen article held in the other and all the time trying to guide it upwards so as not to damage that loverly paintwork.

peedee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.