Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, am looking into getting a motorhome to live in whilst commuting away from home 5 days a week (posted in chit chat), and was wondering how much the running costs would be to do this?

I'm predominently thinking how much the cost of gas would be, assuming one person spending 4 evenings in it, using a shower 4 times and cooking etc. with it.

Is it likely to be a lot do you think? 8O

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
There are numerous variables here.

Winter/summer
Type of heating - blown air or Alde
Size of van
EHU or not EHU
If on EHU will you use electricity or gas

As a general guidline in winter without EHU expect to get through a 11kg bottle of gas every 10 days

In summer it may last 2 to 3 weeks at your usage

hope that helps

Pete

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vennwood said:
There are numerous variables here.

Winter/summer
Type of heating - blown air or Alde
Size of van
EHU or not EHU
If on EHU will you use electricity or gas

As a general guidline in winter without EHU expect to get through a 11kg bottle of gas every 10 days

In summer it may last 2 to 3 weeks at your usage

hope that helps

Pete
Hey, thanks for the reply!

Looking at something around 22 feet long, 6 berth, blown heating, EHU... I'm not sure what that is. Electric Heating Unit?

Would the above estimate include running a fridge? Also, how much would it cost to fill an 11kg gas bottle? Sorry so many questions, just trying to button things down as best as possible without really having a clue to start with. :roll:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
brillopad said:
are you going to stay on a site or in the middle of a field will you have electric or not, 11 kg gas once you bought the cylinder about £22 to refill.dennis
No, mate I wont have an electric hook-up to use. I can stay at work, but I fairly certain there isn't a EHU there, so I'm planning on making the van as self-sufficient as possible.

So I'd be looking at £40 a month in gas, if it were my main source of fuel? That's a fair bit isn't it. 8O

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
alexthecheese said:
No, mate I wont have an electric hook-up to use. I can stay at work, but I fairly certain there isn't a EHU there, so I'm planning on making the van as self-sufficient as possible.
So I'd be looking at £40 a month in gas, if it were my main source of fuel? That's a fair bit isn't it. 8O
Subject to your employers agreement, very simple to make up a hook up suppy'

Peter

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
hi fella

You could have an LPG refillable system, that would reduce the cost of gas.

I'm not sure how much it costs for a cylinder or propane, but I pay around £10 for a cylinder of LPG. it's just under 50p per litre.

In summer these last ages.

I only got through just over 1 cylinder when I went snowboarding, we went for two weeks.
With heating on all night.

hth

wilse

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Heating, fridge,and cooking.
I do not use much gas in mh. Owned mh 3 years along with 2 x 13 kg propane cylinders.
Got 1 still about half full
All in 10 weeks hols and several weekends.

Not much use to you this info but shows you how varied usage can be

Dave P

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
alexthecheese said:
brillopad said:
are you going to stay on a site or in the middle of a field will you have electric or not, 11 kg gas once you bought the cylinder about £22 to refill.dennis

We've just returned from a week in Ireland. Wild camping most of the time with heating on most evenings and two of us showering most days. Fridge was on gas 24/7 (except when driving) and we cooked about 4 evening meals.

We use a Gaslow refillable system and for 5 days use it took 10 litres of LPG which comes to about £4.40

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
philoaks said:
alexthecheese said:
brillopad said:

We've just returned from a week in Ireland. Wild camping most of the time with heating on most evenings and two of us showering most days. Fridge was on gas 24/7 (except when driving) and we cooked about 4 evening meals.

We use a Gaslow refillable system and for 5 days use it took 10 litres of LPG which comes to about £4.40
Not that I want to get this thread completely sidetracked, but are these refillable Gaslow systems anything to do with the adaptor that has caused a furor over in the LPG/Gas forum?

Sounds like a good investment for cheap gas going forwards? :?:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
alexthecheese said:
philoaks said:
alexthecheese said:
brillopad said:

Not that I want to get this thread completely sidetracked, but are these refillable Gaslow systems anything to do with the adaptor that has caused a furor over in the LPG/Gas forum?

Sounds like a good investment for cheap gas going forwards? :?:
No, Gaslow is an approved refillable system that uses bottles that automatically shut the filler off once 80% is reached. If you do a search for Gaslow on the forum you'll find lots of info (and lots of differing opinions about it too!!).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.