Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I assume it is very similar to the Truckmate, and I do have one of these.

Generally very satisfied with it. Though expensive it is a great bit of kit IMHO.

I believe the one you mention may have campsites as POI's, so should be very useful.

Can only comment on UK use, as not been over the water with it yet.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 which is designed for use on a motorcycle. i e,waterproof but i is just as good in a 4 wheeled vehicle with its windscreen bracket. Much less then £450. Its just been subseded by the Zumo 650 so the price will probably come down now! Chasper.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
It's about time someone adapted a GPS for motorhomes/caravans, this one seems to go part way to a useable product. The main snag I can see is the ACSI campsite data/POIs. To be of any serious use they need to include Aires, Stellplatz, CC, C&CC, CLs, CSs etc. For that sort of price premium I would expect some serious dedicated facilities.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
oldenstar said:
I assume it is very similar to the Truckmate, and I do have one of these.

Generally very satisfied with it. Though expensive it is a great bit of kit IMHO.

I believe the one you mention may have campsites as POI's, so should be very useful.

Can only comment on UK use, as not been over the water with it yet.

Paul
Hi oldenstar,

I've emailed Snooper to see if the Truckmate or Ventura allow the input of Lat/Long but so far no reply. Can you input destinations as Lat/Long on the truckmate?

Thanks

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Hi I have the new snooper Ventura It is a fantastic piece of kit, BUT as it is so new they are making Additions/Corrections as they go along, at the moment you cannot add a destination by Lat / Long but from information this is being corrected soon also at the moment you cannot add your own POI's but that is in next update (any time now), The buttons are already in position it is just that no link is working.

By the way I purchased off ebay at £289. 65p

·
Registered
134 Posts
Les,

I have just bought a Ventura. No motorhome yet! (collecting Thursday) but very pleased with this unit.
You mention upgrades, we will be able to get these?

Cheers

Paul

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Yes mate, You will get a disc through post, But only if you register it.

I personally think it is brilliant.

We don't plan a route or anything and when we think we should stop we do, so we pull up for a cuppa and search for a location close to us and go straight to it.

We are having a tendency to stop more on sites in Europe now cos of all the warnings we are getting from other sources and a couple of times when we have had dodgy looking characters rummaging around, wife is a bit nervous now so especially in towns or cities it is a site.

We used to go with POI's in Autoroute then on Tom Tom's but half the time we never actually found what we were looking for but this is never wrong.

·
Registered
82 Posts
G.P.S Updates

I`ve just added the campsites/P.O.I ,From the C.C web site this morning,and was relatively easy to do-Basically all the sites in the club site book are now on my sat nav!!, Not tested yet so watch this space?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Good evening,

I would recommend one that stops this from happening........ :oops:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-66246.html

We have the Snooper Truckmate and are very happy with it. The only downside we have found is that you cannot input the GPS coordinates.

Regards

Dean

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I was in Italy two years ago and we came across road works with a diversion, What a Mistake, We followed the diversion and the roads were turning to streets, The streets to alleys, Till we could not go any further, We had to reverse out, After all the traffic that was behind us and this took us 45 minutes to get to a place where we could turn around, From that moment I said never again, and I have been looking for something like this since, Now I have found it and we travel with No worries.

·
Registered
947 Posts
hi everybody,
DO NOT WASTE your money on a new sat nav system when the one you have works fine :roll:

basically all these sellers have done is put together a package of ALLREADY available poi data and placed it into there system.

You can get mainly for FREE poi`s by doing a search on the web and saying which system you have , garmin,navman,tom tom.#

They all have ther own system ie csv,gpx etc but navman and Garmin share the same :p

we have a Garmin nuvi 550 with all stellatz,aires, cl.ccc and cc sites plus bridge height and width and length pois on it plus the ability to do lat/long inputs .

We did have to pay for the height/width software £50 but it has a lot more pois in it.

so keep your old sat nav that you are comfortable with and get the poi and place on a sd card or internal memory mostly for free.

Or maybe I should compile one and get a cheap system and rebrand it as Motorhome friendly :oops: :oops: and make a killing. But then I am Honest and hate being conned. :twisted:

tramp

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi

I own a Snooper Ventura, first class able to input size of Motorhome and axle weight, have used it about 6 times so far, have not been sent down any road that would cause a problem. On start up it also asked, are you in a car or your Motorhome, that you have pre programmed with your units statistics. Speed camera side also very good, I have free updates for life with my deal. Also fitted a special bracket to hold to dash, no damage what so ever to Mercedes sprinter dash. All round a good piece of kit,

Take care

Delboy

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
The reason I purchased my Ventura was that for a large number of years now I have used Garmin + Tom Tom and even uploaded a database of 21000 + Poi's to this Forum both for Tom Tom AND Autoroute, I also had the Stellplatz the Aries and CC and CCC sites on my form of Navigation, As previousley stated I once had a very bad experience of being sent down to a VERY narrow Alley where I then had to reverse over 2 miles.

I have had to turn back because of low bridges and also because of weight restriction, Apart from that the sat nav was fine BUT The Poi's were incorrect a lot of times and I still had to enquire the EXACT location of sites, also I have got to one site and been turned away because it was TENTS only.

So as far as I am concerned NOT ONE PENNY HAS BEEN WASTED.

and that is from a person who has been a staunch ally of Tom Tom and also a supplier of Poi's for others to use.

I still have my Computer and Autoroute and IF I happen to want a location with Lat/long I just enter in that then onto Ventura, Now that is also ONLY for the time being as the Lat/Long entry system IS being programmed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.