Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

this is probably one of many scams currently going on but please be warned that I got a phone call from a fellow motorhomer this morning to inform me that my 2003 Swift Sundance 630L autotrader advert has been cloned onto Ebay with a much lower price. Now, that could have been done for more than one reason, but I can't think of any that are bona fide and it wasn't done by me - I resolved to avoid ebay a few months ago after getting sick of false advertising, less than honourable sellers and generally *****-like behaviour.

I am in the process of doing what I can to expunge this insidious ebay scam but essentially it is beyond my control.

My over-riding desire is to stop someone being cheated out of their hard-earned and I recognise the obvious irony that if I put the autotrader ad link in this post I'd probably be flouting MHF rules, so am hoping that I've given enough information such that everyones given early enough warning without me contravening etiquette.

I will be subscribing and posting an advert on here but I can't do that until the weekend.

Apologies if this pond-dwelling, scumsucking ebay scammer is causing anyone heartache, but I hope you recognise that it is beyond my control.

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Asterix said:
..........I will be subscribing and posting an advert on here but I can't do that until the weekend.

Apologies if this pond-dwelling, scumsucking ebay scammer is causing anyone heartache, but I hope you recognise that it is beyond my control.
Sorry but what do you mean?
See your profile:- Subscription Info: Subscriber until 30/07/2013

According to this you are already a subscriber here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
autostratus said:
Asterix said:
..........I will be subscribing and posting an advert on here but I can't do that until the weekend.

Sorry but what do you mean?
See your profile:- Subscription Info: Subscriber until 30/07/2013

According to this you are already a subscriber here.
Thankyou - my mistake, in my haste to warn people I didn't check. Must admit, I thought my subscription had lapsed/ didn't remember taking it out again last year.

Still, I can't post an advert until the weekend as I haven't got access to the photos where I am at the moment.

I suppose I could put the autotrader link in to an MH ad, but the weekend is only 1 day away anyway.

Thanks again

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
Thanks Asterix for the warning.
I have seen your advert and if I were you, I would remove the registration details, although, maybe a little late now!
These bl**dy scamers get everywhere :evil:
I recently did a large purchase on ebay, but before parting with the money, I did check ownership and if the item was genuine.
Such a pain!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone is reading this, can they point me at the ebay scam ad because I am having trouble finding it (I've even had a guy call me tonight 3 times at 2156 telling me he's seen my van on ebay and how much would I take for it :( - as stated not seen the ad, but why would my number be on it...confused).

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Asterix said:
If anyone is reading this, can they point me at the ebay scam ad because I am having trouble finding it (I've even had a guy call me tonight 3 times at 2156 telling me he's seen my van on ebay and how much would I take for it :( - as stated not seen the ad, but why would my number be on it...confused).
There are some private ones on ebay but how would we know if one was yours?

·
Registered
401 Posts
scam

I chased after a Buccaneer camper on ebay!Then noticed the mileage was the same as one I had noticed for sale in MMM at a dealers.The advert had been cloned.The ebay seller said he was French and had taken the camper back to France with him from England where he had been working.But he had decided to sell it.I offered to fly out to have a look at it but he said it was with the"shippers"ready to be snt back to England.If I paid him a £2000 deposit and I was'nt happy at all with my "purchase" he would give me a refund!!I rang the dealer who confirmed that the vehicle was still with them.They were surprised when they logged on to Ebay and saw it for sale along with all their photo's and description.I kept him on the hook for a few days by asking silly questions.Ebay removed the advert when I reported it.But of course as soon as one go's another takes its place!!

·
Premium Member
28,555 Posts
Just got another warning that my Amazon account has been locked due to unusual activity.
Oh Yeah?
With a senders address like this..
[email protected]

Ray.

Reactions: Relyat

·
Premium Member
28,555 Posts
Just recycling Jean. Any old Scam warning thread would do.

Ray.

Reactions: Webby1

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Recently I have been getting a host of scam/phishing emails - much more than normal - relating to...

- My anti virus protection is out of date.

- My parcel is with the local depot due to being unable to deliver it.

- I have won a free Smeg kettle!

Needless to say all emails are deleted and blacklisted and/or reported.

Reactions: raynipper

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
This email just arrived...

Bugger me I'm rich!!! So long suckers.....

MR.JOHN SCOTT YOUNGER
ATM Head of Operation
United Bank of Africa Nigeria PLC
Email:[email protected]
+234-913 344-7960

Attention.
12.5million ATM Master Card Delivery.

I am Mr Anthony Egobia ATM Head of Operation Department United Bank Of Africa, I resumed to this office on the 5th of last Month and during my official research last week I discovered an abandoned ATM Master card valued sum of $12. 5Million with card number 532145212340 belonging to you as the rightfully intimate beneficiary.

I tried to know why this card have not been released to you but I was told that the formal ATM head of operation who left this office two months ago with-held your card for his own personal use without knowing that I will not approve or support him to take your card. Now that your ATM Master card is still available for you to pick it up here in our bank, I want to know how you wish to receive your ATM card along with your four digits pin code number.

You can come down here in our bank to pick up your card direct from my office or alternatively it can be send to your address through any registered reliable courier service company that you will take care of the courier charge, I don't know the cost of shipping of the card to you but if you permit me I will advice you to Contact MR.JOHN SCOTT YOUNGER. the shipping Manger on his personal information.

Contact Details.

MR.Athney Egobia.
Email:[email protected]
What-sap.+234-816-929-9738.

And find out the cost, but in that case you will be required to forward to me your shipment address your direct telephone number and any means of your identification,As soon as I receive your swift positive response, I will inform you the amount programmed for your ATM daily withdrawal.

Thanks For your anticipated co-operation and understanding. We will serve You better. You can call me with my direct number +234-913 344-7960

Yours Faithfully,

ATM Head of Operation
United Bank Of Africa Plc.
MR.JOHN SCOTT YOUNGER

• Haha

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,946 Posts
Ooh, I might rearrange my ferry n call with you on the way Graham!!
belonging to you as the rightfully intimate beneficiary.
... might be more involved than you think!

What-sap.+234-816-929-9738
It may just be a Scottish expression but a 'sap' would be a 'poor soul' as in unfortunate, someone less than the full shilling. He might be sending a subliminal message there!

·
Premium Member
28,555 Posts
I think I have just been scammed.
I bought a €7.91 remote control from a company called "Ali Express" with a French website.
Now I get a call to pay the 'driver' €32 import duty?
I refused as I assumed I was dealing with a French company and no duty would be liable.
But it seems this company Ali Express has addresses in many companies but all goods ordered come from China.

Now I have tried to gain access to the account set up when purchasing and all I get is my log in details are not recognised.

So it looks like I have been scammed. Next move is to try and get my CC to do a chargeback.

Ray.

• Sad
Reactions: GMJ

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Sorry to hear this Ray. Will they do a chargeback for under £100? That's the minimum over here...

Do you think they might have kept and will abuse your CC details?

• Wow

·
Premium Member
28,555 Posts
Duno G. But will visit the bank asap.

Ray.

Reactions: GMJ

·
Premium Member
17,163 Posts
Who was the call for this 32€ from?
For 7.91€ blimey Ray it‘d cost me that to get to my bank, who has the remote, if not you I‘d put it down to a bad experience and let whoever has it keep it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts