Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,134 Posts
There is no way they could take money from your account anyway Keith without you authorising it in the first place. I wouldnt even have rang them. I had an old friend (sadly gone now) who got done not once but twice by these shysters. They took about £600 in the end. after months of wrangling and chasing the banks to go after them I managed to get it back for him.

·
Premium Member
32,134 Posts
I was chatting to a bloke in our village a few days abo. He told me he had recently been scammed out of over £5k. He has a call from "HMRC" saying that his tax return was overdue and he was likely going to jail. As it happens his tax return was overdue (he runs his own business) so he panicked and allowed them access to his computer and the rest is history.

He managed to get his money back via the bank but he was close to tears when we chatted. He is not some simpleton either: a chap in his late 30's who runs a successful business. It was just a coincidence presumably that he hadn't filed his tax return and they caught him unawares.

Tbf he was telling folks in the village whom he knows so that we don't get caught out.
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the scammers have inside Info on some targets. I know of a few for example that were taken in a while back by calls supposedly from BT about their broadband issue. It just so happened that they had recently reported a broadband issue or complaint. The key thing is not to ever let anyone take control of your computer unless you have initiated the call and your certain it's the legit tech company.

·
Premium Member
32,134 Posts
Exactly
But it's getting more and more sophisticated as the scammers always seem to be aware you have just bought or ordered something legitimately.
i.e. my NINE bogus messages about a genuine pending delivery.

Ray.

Exactly. All it takes is a data breach or a tracker on your computer or perhaps a crooked insider selling information. It's nothing to worry about as long as you just ignore it all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts