Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you fasten yours onto the rack?

In addition to the ratchet straps, I use one of the bike blocks clamped to the ladder at one end, and the luggage carrier on the scooter, it helps to stop it moving around quite a bit!

M&D :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi M&d
If you've got an end stop, then you need a rachet strap to pull the front wheel up tight to it (pulling it from East to West if you know what I mean?) This will then stop the scooter moving from side to side. One or two other rachet straps will suffice. We have a bar that goes over the saddle. I connect a rachet strap to that. You need to be careful not to put too much down-force otherwise it can put the suspension of the scooter under compression, which I'm sure doesn't do it much good if it's on the rack for any period of time.
We have travelled right across Europe, over horendous potholed roads and it's not fallen off or damaged any of it's surrounding framework. If you want to see ours, log on to photo's section and look under Biggermac'
regard
bob and Ann

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hi Mandy and Dave, in your photos I can not see how you have secured to the ladder do you have any more.

For this forum pictures or diagrams would be a good idea, miles better than descriptions, I will have to take some.

Ralph,

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Ralph,
That' s probably ok for a short period of time, but if you leave the scooter on the rack for longer spells as we tend to do I tension the rachet till it just reaches the point of compression. There needs to be a little bit of compliance in the scooter suspension to absorb some shocks, especially if youv'e driven on some of the roads in Romania?

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ralph52 said:
Hi Mandy and Dave, in your photos I can not see how you have secured to the ladder do you have any more.

For this forum pictures or diagrams would be a good idea, miles better than descriptions, I will have to take some.

Ralph,
Ralph I will post one next time I put it on the back, it's one of these things used for securing bicycles to cycle carriers, I just adapted it!

M&D :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm afraid I disagree about not keeping the suspension under compression (as much as you can reasonably achieve).

The reason is that if the suspension is allowed to compress of it's own volition (road movement, etc) this will permit the ratchet straps to then slacken and be loose for that moment. Loose ratchet straps = unstable load. The straps could, under extreme circumstances, even come unhooked, with disastrous consequences.

Let the motorhome tyres and suspension absorb the road shocks - keep the scooter load as firmly secured as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.