• 1280 x 768

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1280 x 960 or Higher

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem an irrelevant question, but it does have a bearing on users enjoyment of websites such as this one.

Designers of some sites have excellent high resolution monitors, and so design their sites with the resolution of their monitor, unfortunately when we view the same site on our monitors we find we can’t view all the screen width as we have to keep scrolling sideways. To avoid this situation, you could increase the resolution of your screen to cope with the extra width of the web page. This method does have its drawbacks as it makes everything on the screen smaller, so people with poor eyesight or small screens then find it difficult to read the text, yes you can change the text size, but then on other sites the text is far too big.

Having sites designed for the ‘masses’ has its advantages, as the viewer can view everything on screen without having to search (scroll) for it. So if advertising is set out side your normal screen resolution, and you know its only advertising in that lost zone your never going to bother look at that zone, so a bit of a loss to advertisers. This does not only apply to advertisers, but there can be important information in that lost zone.

What’s my screen resolution?
This is the number of pixels on your screen, not the actual physical size of your screen. To find out you’re your resolution is, go to your desktop, right click in an open space, select ‘properties’, in the new dialogue box select the ‘settings’ tab, then on the bottom right hand side is a box marked ‘screen area’ with a small scroll bar (use this to change your resolution) under which is your screen resolution. Click cancel to close, unless you’ve decided to change something.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read all this and take part in the poll :D

· Registered
44 Posts
Mine isn't on the list - 1280 x 800
Ben runs 1680 x 1050

The majority of our eBay customers are now running 1024 x 768, it was just 800 x 600 before Christmas - maybe we should be selling monitors :)

· Registered
2,601 Posts
:D My current Laptop and Full size computer (With LCD/TV screen) are both 1024 x 768. I nee to upgrade one of them to run my Reflex XTR Simulator for full screen real time graphics. :cry:

· Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m now wondering whether the higher resolutions entered in the poll are mainly people who use their monitors for business’s, rather than solely private home use. This would confirm my suspicion that professional web designers do set up their web sites for their high resolution monitors, rather than the mass’s on the more common 1024 x 768 :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.