Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Autocruise Gleneagle which only has 2 seat belts for the driver and front seated passenger.
Can someone travel in the back on the side facing seats with no seat belt?
We are thinking of taking our grand daughter who will be sat in the front in the correct chair for her weight and size so my wife will have to travel in the rear.
Am I legal but mainly are we safe.

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Just a thought , although your vehicles are reg 2009 they may have been manufactured prior to the date when seat belts had to be fitted.
Theshould have forward facing seats equiped with seat belts.
How many travelling seats are specified to how many berth is another question.
Dealer should fit these even if van is old stock the law is clear.

Dave P

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
petepub said:
Can someone travel in the back on the side facing seats with no seat belt?
...mainly are we safe.
Have your wife sit in the back - unbelted- drive down a quiet country lane and then do an emergency stop.

Then ask yourself that question again.

I think you'll find that the answer is NO, she is definitely NOT safe whether legal or not.

( Apart from anything else I think that, sideways on, unsupported by a belt, she will find it tiring and uncomfortable)

G

·
Registered
1 Posts
rear seat belts on bench seats

we have just bought a 2009 bessacarr e425 and ours dose not have rear seat belts . contacted swift motorhomes and thay said it is legal to carry passengers in the back and these motor homes can not be fitted with after market seat belts. also swift said if seat belts had to be fitted thay would not produce motor homes with L AND U shaped lounges as this would be illegal to carry passengers. Also had plice advice gray area on rear belts . Final thought if law becomes more clearer on rear belts and u do need them for rear passengers seek legal advice for recovering your mony back as motorhomes are not cheap toys to make a mistake with. We are just waiting to be stopped and fined in ours

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Re: rear seat belts on bench seats

[quote="gary40ne" We are just waiting to be stopped and fined in ours[/quote]

Well if you are very lucky that is the worst that will happen to you.

Ca

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Re: rear seat belts on bench seats

gary40ne said:
We are just waiting to be stopped and fined in ours
Have you given any thought as to why it is not a good idea to carry a passenger without a seat belt ?

Let's say you have to stop suddenly when you're travelling at 60 mph. Your back seat passengers will carry on travelling at 60mph until they hit something- ie you, the windscreen or a piece of furniture. At that speed they will embed themselves pretty firmly in whatever they hit.

I hope you carry a large first aid kit.

G

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Spot on Grizzly, thats why bus and train incidents produce many injuries.
A health and saftey officer will conclude : The likelihood of a crash is small going on insurance statistics. But the injuries caused in a crash May be great.
Dave P

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
DTPCHEMICALS said:
A health and saftey officer will conclude : The likelihood of a crash is small going on insurance statistics. But the injuries caused in a crash May be great.
Dave P
...and it doesn't have to be a crash Dave. Stopping for the dog that runs out in front of you, or the driver that you don't see on a roundabout or the lights that change suddenly.....

G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.