Motorhome Facts Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Possibly, but I'm trying to avoid destroying or damaging anything at this stage, just in case.
Once the tap is free, by whatever means, I'll see what options are available for refitting in order that I avoid this in the future, odds on that I'll never have to go near it again though.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
After the application of heat and more force than I was comfortable with they're out.
An hour in penetrating fluid and some pliers persuaded the tails out of the tap body.

Initially the spout seals look good, but as I'll get new tails tomorrow and investigate a more satisfactory connection arrangement, I'll see whether I can buy new seals locally.
Everything is now in the ultrasonic bath

Your help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You say "at least one O ring in the body", from my memory, there were two joined O rings embedded in the ceramic cartridge that are crucial in place, is it possible that you have a small speck under one of these ? It could be concrete on where water has evaporated off. These joined O rings are what stops the water flow, the only other O ring that I am aware of is on the base of the spout to ensure the water goes out and does not leak.

Try flushing through the base of the tap after gently cleaning the surface with eg a cotton bud, nothing hard or sharp. Turn on, then off the pump (or better still get someone else to do that while you direct the flow into a basin or bucket as appropriate. That MIGHT wash off any solid deposit on the inside of the base where the O ring sits to seal.

Does it leak only while running, or all the time ? If the former then the leak would be ABOVE the O ring seals, if the latter then below.

Good luck, do let us know how it goes.
Yes, it was the stepped seals around the spout that were degraded and allowing water past.
I didn't know where to start to find replacements but luckily had two "O" rings which fitted and have done the job.

The seals in the tails were not good either so new tails went in together with a new copper connection between them and the van pipework, luckily no cost as it was all bits and pieces I already had. I hope not to be going near it again, but if I do it will be easy next time.

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.