Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Seperate tap and pipes

1K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Relyat 
#1 ·
Afternoon

I've had weeping from the kitchen mixer tap for a while and have installed a new ceramic cartridge. This has helped but not solved the problem.
I gather that there is at least one "O" ring in the tap body which is next on the list.
However I've encountered a problem. I have removed the tap securing nut and can pull the tap through the worktop sufficiently to expose the ends of the flexi pipes but they are stuck fast. I've only tried needle nosed pliers so far due to the restricted access. The other end of the flexis are barbed fittings, secured into the van plumbing with jubilee clips and are also stuck fast. Due to their location I cannot get proper purchase on them and am working at arms length.
I'm not bothered about buying new flexi, it's probably not a bad idea, but I'm concerned that sacrificing one end to get them out will lead to more problems.
I can't use penetrating fluid on the tap end as gravity just draws it out. I could cut the van pipework but that might leave me short for connecting the new flexi. Any sort of tool risks damage at either end.
Anyone any ideas please?

#3 ·
We have a Coral 2009 so might be able to help. We replaced the cartridge which fortunately did cure the leaking.

Ours are John Guest type blue push fittings.They disconnect from the tap by pushing out a lock pin and from the main pipework you have to pull out a black tab type circlip to release.

If the cartridge had not worked we were going to replace with a normal kitchen tap and use a reducer to fit the blue pipework.

I can dig out some more info if this sounds relevant.

#4 ·
Sorry, it is a few years since I had to change the bathroom tap and access to that was awful, I remember that I had problems separating the units, but it came apart eventually after a fair number of damaged knuckles, abrasion of skin and some deposits of red fluid in places even MrsW will not attempt to lean…..

You say “at least one O ring in the body”, from my memory, there were two joined O rings embedded in the ceramic cartridge that are crucial in place, is it possible that you have a small speck under one of these ? It could be concrete on where water has evaporated off. These joined O rings are what stops the water flow, the only other O ring that I am aware of is on the base of the spout to ensure the water goes out and does not leak.

Try flushing through the base of the tap after gently cleaning the surface with eg a cotton bud, nothing hard or sharp. Turn on, then off the pump (or better still get someone else to do that while you direct the flow into a basin or bucket as appropriate. That MIGHT wash off any solid deposit on the inside of the base where the O ring sits to seal.

Does it leak only while running, or all the time ? If the former then the leak would be ABOVE the O ring seals, if the latter then below.

It is also important to ensure that the base has not been damaged by eg frost - that can cause a small crack which would leak while under pressure. If so, then an entire new tap unit is the only answer check CAK Tanks for identical units, that might also help you sort out how short the tubing can be….

Good luck, do let us know how it goes.

#25 ·
You say "at least one O ring in the body", from my memory, there were two joined O rings embedded in the ceramic cartridge that are crucial in place, is it possible that you have a small speck under one of these ? It could be concrete on where water has evaporated off. These joined O rings are what stops the water flow, the only other O ring that I am aware of is on the base of the spout to ensure the water goes out and does not leak.

Try flushing through the base of the tap after gently cleaning the surface with eg a cotton bud, nothing hard or sharp. Turn on, then off the pump (or better still get someone else to do that while you direct the flow into a basin or bucket as appropriate. That MIGHT wash off any solid deposit on the inside of the base where the O ring sits to seal.

Does it leak only while running, or all the time ? If the former then the leak would be ABOVE the O ring seals, if the latter then below.

Good luck, do let us know how it goes.
Yes, it was the stepped seals around the spout that were degraded and allowing water past.
I didn't know where to start to find replacements but luckily had two "O" rings which fitted and have done the job.

The seals in the tails were not good either so new tails went in together with a new copper connection between them and the van pipework, luckily no cost as it was all bits and pieces I already had. I hope not to be going near it again, but if I do it will be easy next time.

Attachments

#7 ·
If you are talking about the plastic pipes I use a heat gun or hairdryer to get them off and dip the ends in boiling water to refit them.

Reactions: dghr272
#12 ·
Now I know you said it twice......................but I said it first>:):wink2:

#14 ·
On our laptop you scroll down to the bottom of the page where there is a box to drag files into.....I guess there is a size limit.
Presumably similar on a phone

Does the info so far sound anything like your set up?????

Can you see the pin at the bottom of the tap to push out.................are the pipe fitments blue.................can you see the black circlip

I could post some photos but no good if your set up is completely different

#15 ·
Hopefully here you can see the access from the back of the cupboard and the lack of slack in the pipework.
The tap is shown as far out as I can withdraw it and I cannot see any pins in the base area. It's starting to look like the hot air option might be the only way of doing this without potentially putting something out of use.

Attachments

#17 ·
The jubilee clips have a hex head as well as a slot, try a small socket to loosen the clip off.

Terry

Attachments

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear
#19 ·
As mentioned previously, careful use of heat gun or hairdryer to soften pipe then twist whilst wearing oven gloves.

Terry

Reactions: nickkdx
#20 ·
It's nothing like our set up so can't help much more than suggestions already made.

#23 ·
Possibly, but I'm trying to avoid destroying or damaging anything at this stage, just in case.
Once the tap is free, by whatever means, I'll see what options are available for refitting in order that I avoid this in the future, odds on that I'll never have to go near it again though.

#24 ·
After the application of heat and more force than I was comfortable with they're out.
An hour in penetrating fluid and some pliers persuaded the tails out of the tap body.

Initially the spout seals look good, but as I'll get new tails tomorrow and investigate a more satisfactory connection arrangement, I'll see whether I can buy new seals locally.
Everything is now in the ultrasonic bath

Your help is appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.