Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michelle has just informed me that she is taking a 240v Iron with us on our European trip. As we are going to be away for at least 2 months she says she will need it once we do laundry. My concern is that they are around 2000 watts which I guess uses about 8 amps. Is this going to be too much for the weedy French EHU's? If so what do most people do about ironing? Not the most interesting post but I promised I would ask. Maybe the iron might just end up in Dover Harbour by accident!

Regards
Barry

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Barry you may as well take the ironing board and clothes horse too.
two sets of hair curlers and dryers , just in case you have a failure.
The vacuum cleaner may come in usefull and take some potted plants so you really feel at home.

dave P

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I have seen low wattage travel irons that fold up but I can't remember where. I did use an old one for my aeroplane modeling days for shrinking film onto the wings. I bought that one from a car boot sale for £2:00 :)

·
Premium Member
31,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DTPCHEMICALS said:
The iron could always come in usefull as a wedge behind the front wheels.

Dave
Yes. As I drive over it!

Do campsites not have them? Dont visit campsites very often but I bought that ACSI Card and some of them look like they have all sorts of facilities. Not my sort of place to camp but we could book in every now and then and sort out laundry etc.

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Don't take the iron. Many campsites have an iron provided in the laundry room.

If you do take the iron ( and you'll have made a rod for your own back) then take a set of travel adapters and use it in the campsite laundry room where there will be sufficient current.

I have a small travel iron that I use for pressing patchwork pieces but it is not a lot of use for ironing clothes and only makes a vague impression on them.

G

·
Premium Member
31,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that
I just picked 3 campsites at random in Normandy from ACSI and 2 of them say they have ironing facilities so Michelle can Iron away at one of them!

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
a small Steam travelling iron is an essential bit of kit.... there are enough scruffy brits about over there already :lol:

and Barry, don't forget the small table top ironing board :p

Ironing... so relaxing, it's a great stress buster :wink:

·
Registered
18,012 Posts
snailsontour said:
Since we stopped work, we don't even iron at home let alone in the 'van!
Hurrah! Absolutely right. Come to think of it, we didn't iron before we finished work, and we haven't ironed for at least 4 years. I was lucky enough to be able to wear polo-type shirts for work, and we just shook them when they came out of the washing machine, and hung them to dry.

Life's too short to spend any of it ironing.

Gerald

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
You must learn to wash with style :lol: :lol: :lol: Then no ironing is required. However if you persist with the ironing lark you must learn all the words and verses of the Ironing song!!!!

·
Premium Member
31,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
carolgavin said:
You must learn to wash with style :lol: :lol: :lol: Then no ironing is required. However if you persist with the ironing lark you must learn all the words and verses of the Ironing song!!!!
Well personally I haven't Ironed for over 17 years when I was single (or done washing actually) so I don't want to get into the technicalities of it all but how do you wash in style and how does the song go? I have told Michelle she wont need it but she reckons its going with us. don't think I can dump it in in the harbour either as she will just go and buy another one. I can just see us plugging it in on an Aire and blowing everyones hook up. I cant believe I started this post there must be more things to worry about than Michelles Iron. Problem is I have wound my work down to such an extent that I now seem to spend half my life on MH forums waiting to go. Its over a week till we go and I have nothing to do!!!!!! Roll on the 9th June!

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
barryd said:
..... Its over a week till we go and I have nothing to do!!!!!! Roll on the 9th June!
Have a nostalgia trip whilst you're waiting....

do the ironing = max brownie points :lol: (you never know when you'll need 'em) :wink: )

·
Premium Member
31,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That would be a fatal mistake. Do it once and that will be it for ever! I am of the same opinion as Geraldine and Dannie, dont bother, shorts and a T Shirt maybe a bit creased. So what!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We have a little travel steam iron from Aldi, it lives in the bottom of the wardrobe forgotton most of the time, but it has come in very handy a couple of times when we've been away and needed something smart.

The longest we have been away in our van was 2 months, loads of stuff hand washed, a few things machine washed at sites.... only a couple of things ever ironed :wink:

Tina

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.