Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After only 5 goes at camping I still am not satisfied with my options for taking a morning shower.

In the Motor Home
Pro's
the shower and adjacent area is clean
everything is right there where you need it
Con's
moving around inside the small shower area very inconvenient
I still hit the water control way too frequently
how do you wash your feet?

In the campground shower
Pro's
more room
more water
Con's
cleanliness
who walked where you just put your foot
are flip flops the only solution
but then you've got to find a place to sit and put on your socks and shoes
you've got to pack everything over and hope you don't forget anything

what do you do and why?
What creative things have you done to keep clean while camping?

regards

Norman

· Registered
1,745 Posts
A lot depends on the site, if you are on a rally there is little option to use your own shower. If using a site shower dont use in morning too busy (and sometimes smelly!) Go for a shower in a track suit or something similar so there are less clothes to bother about.
Most good sites have hooks and also benches/stools
If you are finding a sites facility always dirty the answer is find another site. Think flip flops are always a good bet even in good showers.

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Check the cleaning schedule for the loos, and then take your shower straight after.
We tend to go for a shower wearing just shorts, fleece type top and flip flops, [looks really stoopid, especially in the middle of winter] but your gear stays drier and then get dressed back in the van.
found one of the main drawbacks of showering in van was that i emptied hot water tank and filled waste water tank - and got shouted at by he who must empty and refill :cry: . current van doesn't have option, only really miss having somewhere to hang wet coats.
8)

· Registered
185 Posts
The cleanest shower/toilet block I've ever experienced was at the Camping and Caravan club site at Windermere (actually closer to Kendal). Lovely and warm too and had background music. A good site and a pub on site too which was great. The days I stayed though, all the real ale was off, so that was a bit disappointing.

· Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Personally, I hate showering in the van and do it as infrequently as possible. Being rather large I find that fighting that shower curtain is a nightmare. Can it be static electricity that pulls the curtain back onto me immediately I've fought clear?

We haven't got a seperate shower and loo. The answer for me most of the time is the wash basin and a good thick face flannel made into a mitt. It's far easier doing this before bed than struggling with the shower.
For feet it's a case of sit on the loo and use the flexible shower hose to wash legs and feet.

When we hit a campsite then it's the site showers and usually before 7am. and in dressing gown.

Gillian

· Registered
537 Posts
Ours does not have any bathroom at all but the idea we have is to buy a small childs inflatable paddling pool and have a wash down standing in that. Unfortunatly this is not the time of year to buy one lol but come the summer we will search again. Anyone know where to get one?? A square one would be ideal.

As for clean sites, we stayed at the caravan club site at Low Manesty and we were very impressed too, flowers, piped music and soap and disposable flannels on each basin - even in the Gents lol. And this was a week before they closed in October.

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Its always a good idea to check out Aldi and Netto, they often sell 'non-standard' items - [well they are supposed to be food stores], best days are Thursday I think, and should have paddling pool thingys before summer, only question is - where / how do you empty something like that? :?
8)

· Registered
537 Posts
Thanks for the info,

Its not to fill it and have a bath, just to use as a splash guard for the carpet, but with sides you can use more water than a mat, then empty down the sink (we're not fussy lol). Remember this is just an idea at the moment, will send a report once we have tried it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.