Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very efficient, several years old, at least 12, fan behind me, but it is rather noisy. Can anyone recommend one of the modern not so noisy fans please? the temperature at the moment out there is 32° and its not midday yet. I know it won´t be any use for today, Prime is not that quick, but for other times when it will once again be hot hot hot.
I have a big fan behind me that's very efficient, but its 12 years or more old and noisy as is the one in the bedroom that we bought at the same time, I believe they can be all but silent these days.

I see I have repeated myself, put it down to the weather not my age ;)

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
Trial and error Jan.
I have 6 or 7 2kw. fan heaters and the noise lever varies tremendously. We did find one that was quieter than all the rest earlier this year when trying each one on cold. I think it was the Philips.

Ray.

Reactions: JanHank

·
Premium Member
8,458 Posts
We recently bought this one

It is, I believe, available on Amazon. We are very pleased with it so far and have even had it running all night in the bedroom! Of course, like most fans, it does not cool anything down but does make a huge difference to how you feel when it is blowing on you. It has a remote control and can swivel backwards and forwards or up and down or be set according to the ambient temperature in the room.

I am now investigating a proper air conditioner. There are rumours that we are going to get 40C again soon. A neighbour has recommended a company that installs them.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
We have a 28 x 14ft Lounge Jan, two years ago we fitted a Fantasia Viper Plus ceiling fan with a LED light. It is remote controlled and quiet on medium speed. On fast speed you can hear the air but there is no motor noise. The inbuilt light can be switched off if not required.

I know that ceiling
fans are not every ones cup of tea but it has proved its worth since it was installed.

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I haven't Barry, I´m not sure if it would be worth all the mess to have it installed for the few days a year it reaches these temperatures.
Although they do say it´s going to become more the norm, maybe I should enquire. Bet it wouldn't be this year they could do it though.

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
Strooff, it's only required for the odd week unlike the southern states where friends in AZ, CA and FL are now getting electricity bills of $500 a week using air con.
Our son in Turkey installed three air con units quite reasonably but now can hardly afford to use them. When guests come they hide the remotes.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
36,045 Posts
No I haven't Barry, I´m not sure if it would be worth all the mess to have it installed for the few days a year it reaches these temperatures.
Although they do say it´s going to become more the norm, maybe I should enquire. Bet it wouldn't be this year they could do it though.

If you only want some cool and some cheap hot in your living room just an air source heat pump, what we generally refer to as an air conditioner. They are very efficient for both heating and cooling and are what we use here.

Very easily installed: Amazon.de

Not silent but we sleep with them running no problem.

·
Premium Member
31,998 Posts
That unit in the link Alan provided isnt expensive although getting it fitted will add a fair chunk I bet. You do seem to get a fair few scortchio days where you are Jan. Then again, how about a nice swimming pool? :D

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That unit in the link Alan provided isnt expensive although getting it fitted will add a fair chunk I bet. You do seem to get a fair few scortchio days where you are Jan. Then again, how about a nice swimming pool? :D
I wouldn't even want to go outside to get into a swimming pool, the air is so still it´s like walking into an oven. 37.4° now.

·
Premium Member
36,045 Posts
I had one fitted two weeks ago for four hundred Euros, and thought it plenty expensive for two hours work. The big bit goes. outside and can simply be mounted on brackets fixed to the wall and the smaller bit goes indoors as close to it as possible to reduce the length of the tubes. One hole through the wall to take the power cable and pipes to the outside unit and if power can be picked up nearby it's all very quick and easy. If not a bit of ducting outside will do the job.

My costs were unit £508, pipes and cable, £23 and fitting £400, which I didn't complain about but did consider a complete rip off for two hours work done by a friend of a friend. Whole thing well under a grand and we have cooling in summer and heating in winter. I bought this one Aire acondicionado Mitsubishi MSZ-HR35VF

I had a couple of supply and fit quotes from local air con businesses and they were €1300 and €1500 for the same unit fitted.

My most recent unit puts out 3.5Kw of heat, and a little less of cooling, but consumes much, much less doing so. I have had two units running all day here and can see by my solar monitor that together they have been using under .5Kw.

People may not believe that because these are often represented as expensive to run, that's cobblers. Look at the attached screenshot. It is 100% accurate. Shows our solar generation and where it goes. The two spikes in consumption
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Screenshot

this morning were as we got up and made tea and toast.

Note that in the above screenshot one ac unit, was run all night. We leave the internal doors open and it cools the house, which admittedly is extremely well insulated.

Reactions: barryd

·
Premium Member
31,998 Posts
I had one fitted two weeks ago for four hundred Euros, and thought it plenty expensive for two hours work. The big bit goes. outside and can simply be mounted on brackets fixed to the wall and the smaller bit goes indoors as close to it as possible to reduce the length of the tubes. One hole through the wall to take the power cable and pipes to the outside unit and if power can be picked up nearby it's all very quick and easy. If not a bit of ducting outside will do the job.

My costs were unit £508, pipes and cable, £23 and fitting £400, which I didn't complain about but did consider a complete rip off for two hours work done by a friend of a friend. Whole thing well under a grand and we have cooling in summer and heating in winter. I bought this one Aire acondicionado Mitsubishi MSZ-HR35VF

I had a couple of supply and fit quotes from local air con businesses and they were €1300 and €1500 for the same unit fitted.

My most recent unit puts out 3.5Kw of heat, and a little less of cooling, but consumes much, much less doing so. I have had two units running all day here and can see by my solar monitor that together they have been using under .5Kw.

People may not believe that because these are often represented as expensive to run, that's cobblers. Look at the attached screenshot. It is 100% accurate. Shows our solar generation and where it goes. The two spikes in consumption View attachment 98333
this morning were as we got up and made tea and toast.

Note that in the above screenshot one ac unit, was run all night. We leave the internal doors open and it cools the house, which admittedly is extremely well insulated.
A no brainer in Spain Alan and not as expensive as I thought it might be.

·
Premium Member
31,998 Posts
I wouldn't even want to go outside to get into a swimming pool, the air is so still it´s like walking into an oven. 37.4° now.
Bloody hell. thats more than double what it is here right now. I reckon you should do what Alan has done. Even if you only use it a few weeks of the year living in those sorts of temperatures even for a few days is horrible.

·
Premium Member
36,045 Posts
Jan could use it all winter too. It's a much cheaper option than gas or oil regardless of whether you have solar or not.

Reactions: JanHank and barryd

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
So what is the electrical consumption when putting out heat Alan? 3kw.?

Ray.

·
Premium Member
36,045 Posts
No Ray, much less.

Remember that they don't generate heat, they just gather it from the air and move it inside. It's refrigeration in reverse. I'll go and photograph a label tomorrow and post it.

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
Ah, thanks Alan I had assumed there was a heating element as the similar ones we had in Portugal emitted heat virtually immediately.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
36,045 Posts
Here, mine takes .85 input power while putting out 3.15kw of heat. It's because they only extract and move heat, one way for cooling and the other for heating. The input power runs the process, it doesn't make heat.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Screenshot

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m going to be having a few improvement done for keeping the heat out so a bit more expense that also heats as well seems a good move. Thanks Alan.

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
I have heard good things about Dyson fans Jan. Very expensive but are the mutt's nuts apparently, and very quiet too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts