Motorhome Facts Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,053 Posts
I don't know about Germany Jan but in the UK they seem to be keen to sell and install a different much more elaborate and expensive system that uses an air source heat pump to heat water and then sends it round radiators, though I don't think it can cool. Just make sure that whatever AC you are interested in does heat as well as cool, though one of the installers I spoke to a couple of weeks ago told me that all the modern ones do.

I went for models one up up from those considered adequate taking into account that we regularly see new record high temperatures and the small extra cost in future proofing with a bit more. It would be a bugger to spend the money and find your unit wasn't quite doing the job.

Reactions: JanHank

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
There were three of the "a/c" units installed in this house when we bought it.
Mrs R was very keen on using them, as we moved in June, I was less so being fearful of the electricity bill.
Come winter we had a portable gas heater going when a neighbour came around. She was aghast that we were using that and not the a/c. Her friend owned the house prior to us and had the units fitted as her only source of heating.
I must say that the power consumption is minimal (if I can find any figures later I'll add them).
We have one cooling all night and frequently one on through the afternoon and evening. In autumn we will use it for heating, often cooler indoors than out, until winter when we decamp to the backroom where the pellet burner is.

·
Premium Member
16,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
All I need to do now is find a firm that installs the A/C, if not ready this year then next. I think my central heating will still be used in winter, don´t forget it gets a lot colder here than in Spain, - 20°C is not unknown.

·
Premium Member
36,053 Posts
Yes of course, but if you can take the edge off with ac you'll save on gas or oil or whatever too.

Reactions: JanHank and barryd

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Here, mine takes .85 input power while putting out 3.15kw of heat. It's because they only extract and move heat, one way for cooling and the other for heating. The input power runs the process, it doesn't make heat.
I'm very interested in your 3,15kw figure Alan. Presumably, this depends on the temperature of the air outside. We have long spells in winter where the temperature is around +6 degrees so what output would you expect from your units then? And would you get any heat when it goes sub zero 😕
Our central heating is oil so the future is looking pretty grim at the moment. It might be wise to spend out now rather than spend thousands on fuel costs.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
I have heard good things about Dyson fans Jan. Very expensive but are the mutt's nuts apparently, and very quiet too.
I've also heard good things about Dyson hot/cold fans and also experienced them in the stores but they are so so expensive.

·
Premium Member
36,053 Posts
Paul we don't get sub zero here but it works perfectly at near zero.There is a story doing the rounds in the UK saying they don't work when it's very cold outside which I think is not true. Also PM have been doing items on them recently, they did one and got inundated with questions so they did a QandA this week. There was no mention of them not working at low temps, which I think in the UK would be crucial information. Naturally they have to work harder the colder it is but they are very efficient.

All the tech specs give consumption figures, but ticking over ours run at under .5kw each. They don't normally need to run flat out to maintain a temperature. When we have low temps outside I don't notice any difference in performance or consumption.

Reactions: baldlygo

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Paul we don't get sub zero here but it works perfectly at near zero.There is a story doing the rounds in the UK saying they don't work when it's very cold outside which I think is not true. Also PM have been doing items on them recently, they did one and got inundated with questions so they did a QandA this week. There was no mention of them not working at low temps, which I think in the UK would be crucial information. Naturally they have to work harder the colder it is but they are very efficient.

All the tech specs give consumption figures, but ticking over ours run at under .5kw each. They don't normally need to run flat out to maintain a temperature. When we have low temps outside I don't notice any difference in performance or consumption.
When you say "5kw each" is that consumption per day?

·
Premium Member
36,053 Posts
Yes Jan.

·
Premium Member
16,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ask and you will receive 😁 sometimes.
I asked my Mario (my super hero) if he knew of anyone who installs A/C and he does and will send the chap to see me. 👍

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
In SA we're old friends with hot weather. Aircon and elec (not even at today's awful prices) for the 10-20 days a year when it was stifling was overkill. So when we built our new house we put overhead fans in all the rooms. Did the job, and in winter you can reverse the direction and push warm air down. Didnt regret that decision, even after giving up (air conditioned) work.

·
Premium Member
16,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The air conditioning man didn't turn up, I have two floor fans Viv and I keep the curtains closed on the sunny sides, its buddy warm, but as long as I don´t do anything to make me hot like hoovering I´m managing as usual. it´s 27 in here 31 outside. the trick is to keep the sun and hot air out and this morning I have been planning ahead for next year and further, if I don´t get the benefit then someone else will. If only we could turn the clock back to when we built the house the shutters all round would definitely been in.

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
Yes they are a valuable asset here in France. It's been 35-40° here almost every day of the past 6 weeks except for the last few days. Awful in my tin box. No escape. Summer is going to have a final purge next week but down to the lower 30's. I'm seeing the changing of the seasons, now takes till 12 to get really hot and sunset coming earlier day by day means evenings cooling sooner. Just had a splash of rain this week but most of France on fire alert. Smoke smell from Pyla fire reached W. Dordogne and had everyone jumping from their beds early to find out how close it was. Been a couple of small fires in the area - it is heavily wooded but deciduous trees mostly so fire alerts in place. Luckily our local mechoui (wild boar bbq/community picnic) was planned before this. Yummy!

·
Premium Member
16,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I didn't know you were travelling again Viv, have I missed a travel thread of yours?

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
I'm not travelling per se. I'm parked up at a gorgeous campsite in W. Dordogne just a few km from the place my son decided (last year) he wanted to live. It's a small site at Vieux Mareuil (L'etang Bleu), ex English owners with some mobilhomes. Really nice friendly community. Weve secured a winter let near Aubeterre till we find a place to rent. Our visas took a while to arrive. I had to keep giving the consulate and Interior Ministry input into my son's business formula as they didnt seem to understand it. Anyway because of the delay he had to start another contract in Belfast this time so he's been commuting back and forth courtesy Ryanair to Limoges. He's hoping for a contract at Orly soon. Not going back to UK if they let us stay next year.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts