Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
It's all about the fair usage policy and not whats written in the headlines.
It might be a good time to share some info here.
For our coming trip (looking for France Spain and Scandanavia for 6 months)it seems no mainstream UK operaters offer enough data...........although we will get 12gb with Three.
So we are considering TIEKOM with 300GB for €40 (which is really too much data)or a newcomer POPIT who seem to offer 100GB for £25 (€29)
Any observations or feedback very welcome.(or alternatives)

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
That Popit looks interesting. It uses EE - any idea what they, or their partners are like for reception in out of the way places in France and Spain?

It's a rolling month contract - can you just turn it off when you're at home? Or would you be thinking of making that your main SIM? (Wouldn't do for me as main as reception isn't great at my home location.)
There is some good general info about EU sims HERE
We have 3 as our main sim at home but it only allows 12gb abroad.(no daily charge as our contract was in July 2022)But that will change next year. Now with various campsite wi fi that 12gb might be enough.

Very positive reviews of the Tiekom deal but they charge €15 to send sims to UK. But you can park the sim unused for €3 month.

So the front runner for me is the Popit deal.Not seen any reviews as yet so a bit new and untested.I expect good/reasonable reception if it uses the EE network. Also it can be started in UK and then presumably allow UK TV streaming. I presume you can just cancel when not needed and then get a new sim.But their customer service is good so they might respond to the "parking option"

I would be interested if anyone has used the Popit or seen any reviews about it.

Reactions: Glandwr

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
The Tiekom deal does receive some very positive feedback. But not seen anything yet from users of Popit
I wonder @barryd if you have any observations on the Popit deal.
It uses EE and presumably their partners in Europe
It's registered in UK so presumably easy access to UK TV unlike Tiekom registered in Spain
It's a bit cheaper for those who only want moderate internet access (100gb rather than 300gb)
It's based in Doncaster .............part of God's Own

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
The Tiekom deal certainly has some good feedback.
But we have asked before why a UK company could not offer a similar roaming deal................well they have, so I think I'll give Popit a go next trip.
I don't know why Tiekom charge €15 for delivery as it only costs €2 for all the ACSI books.
The Virgin deal (200gb for £16 month) also looks good....(well too good in fact)........are you sure @jiwawa there is no limitation on usage abroad. They often put roam like at home and then "subject to our fair usage policy" in the small print

Reactions: raynipper

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Check this Virgin Page which explains the fair usage policy.
I was interested in their deal for 200gb for £16. Their fair usage calculator tells me I can only use 8.5 gigs abroad before there is a surchage.
Now I am certain that if we were still in the EU this kind of deceptive advertising would not be allowed
But now that we are free from the EU shackles it's a sharks/liars market. Wait until they start on our food supply...........oh sorry we are the food supply.
All words in italics are lies

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
It seems that even "life" might be subject to a fair usage policy. :)

• Wow

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
And in the Talkmobile slightly smaller print "As a result, inclusive roaming in Zone 1 is subject to a fair use policy of 15GB of roaming data per month. Roaming data after 15GB is charged at 0.6p per MB."
Now 15gb might be enough for many............ but it would be £6 per extra gb.

So it's still down to Tiekom or Popit for the best deal for big data usage abroad.
I will check with Popit that when they say "You can use all of your allowance in the EU" that their definition of all is not different to mine................. or even different from mine :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Pudsey_Bear

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
So does that mean when you are abroad you actually go out and look at things rather than just stay in the van consuming data :)
We do get 12gb from our UK contract with 3 but its not usually enough and although most campsites seem to have Wi Fi it can be a hassle to get a usually slow signal.

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
It was in reply to youwho

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Well, I've done it! Ordered the Virgin SIM 50GB data with free calls, texts and roaming with no limited use. Mind you, it's a rolling month contract so I guess they could change that at any time. The sim must be activated by 29 Nov so it looks like my old Voda will continue till then.... I hope so.
My main point here was to flag up how people are being lied to (is deceived a more polite way to put it)
Jean clearly has been told that this sim has no limited use for roaming................but I think that's not correct.
Hey happy to be proved wrong.
But it seems to me that at the moment all UK providers have this fair use get out clause hidden in the small print somewhere.Perhaps if the Popit deal takes off they might have to think again, but I doubt it.
We're in the post Brexit Badland not Sunny Uplands

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
That's what I'm talking about Jean....................you have been deceived and lied to. Is there still an Advertising Standards Authority ?...........do we in fact have any standards in this post Brexit free for all.

When we say organic sir we mean we aspire to be organic..............when we say free we mean for a small downpayment................when we say bogof we mean buy one hundred get one free.

There's a job for me here in advertising..................when we say job we don't mean that you get paid.

• Haha

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Just ordered the Popit sim which allows you to use all of your data package in the EU.I don't know why they have a cut off for calls. I think it is the best deal available at the moment for larger users.......also I presume as it is a UK sime that it will allow you access UK TV
I'll let you know about coverage after our trip.Can't see why it would differ much from the other providers.There will always be those out of the way isolated places where people have no internet (and probably 6 fingers ;))

Reactions: jiwawa

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
We looked at the Lobster deal but I thought it was only available in Spain and for Spain.
Are you saying you get full data to use in UK ?
What about rest of EU....any hidden fair use clause.

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I can't see any mention of use thoughout EU in the Lobster deal............but I can see they are offering "triple data" at the moment.
From February 2023 their 120gb package for €18 goes down to 40gb and even their Spain only deal goes down from 55 to 18gb.So no good for us even if it can be used across the EU.At least they're clear and upfront about it.
So back to Popit.....................any other competitors for best sim ????

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Actually I didn't really look very hard about use in the EU,because when their "triple data deal " ends it's not really good value.
Plus I think you can only buy the sims in Spain........but again I might be wrong.;)

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Yes I can confirm there is an 80p monthly charge to "park" the Popit sim.
Jean I think you're being deceived again.........................that's all what they say in the large print and somewhere it will say subject to our fair usage policy see this page

• Helpful
Reactions: baldlygo

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I'm referring to the lines on that page and others "With Roam Like Home, you can use your mobile wherever you go in the EU and pay no more for your texts, data and minutes than you would in the UK (subject to our fair usage policy).
I'd certainly check for weasly words.......for example.......yes you can use all your data abroad but once you go over our fair usage policy you'll pay just like you would in the UK.....subject to our helpful spending cap of £51 ????
I'm not questioning you but the companies, who since Brexit have turned the landscape into the Wild West rather than the Sunny Uplands.
Let us know......................50gb abroad would be enough for us

· Premium Member
2,361 Posts
It's good to be clear that you need to activate in UK, as I had intended to do it when our 12gb from 3 ran out in France.But not a problem.
Now I would imagine you could unpark the sim whilst abroad just with an e mail, as that number is already registered and activated.
Or if you want 6 months or more to get someone in UK to buy and activate a new sim and post.

At the moment I think Popit could be the sim of choice for motorhomers abroad and I don't want them to start thinking it's too much hassle.However I do fear, as a new business venture(I think) they may feel differently when they start getting the bills from their overseas partners, for all the motorhomers using their full allowance abroad.

Let's hope not as I don't think there's anything to match it at the moment.
Unless they come back to me with "of course you can use ALL your data abroad......subject to our fair usage policy :devilish:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts