Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask stupid questions or really stupid questions, here's my latest. :lol:

For example:

1. A gas heater has a maximum heat output of 4kw.

2. A 2 ring hob and grill has a combined maximum output of 4.7kw.

Both appliances run off Propane gas.

So..... with both rings and grill running would I effectively be....

1. Receiving similar room warmth as the gas heater?

2. Be using similar amount of gas as the gas heater?

My simple brain asks why buy a gas heater when putting on the grill will keep me just as warm at the same cost.

What do you clever people think?

Shane.....

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Warm air rises! (You knew that!!!) so heaters are better located, ie. at floor level, to warm the whole area....blown air heating is even more efficient.
Cookers are always higher :wink: :D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
That's what we do when we can't be bother to dig out the electric heater or not on EHC. and it is instant.

But don't leave it unattended or at night when in bed.

Andy

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Won't you get a lot of moisture in the van from the open flame of the grill/cooker?
The heater is vented to the outside so not the same problem, is there?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou for these replies already.

No, I never thought about warm air rising! Good point that.

Sleeping with the flames off. Another good point that.

Moisture from open flame. Blimey, third good point!

Shane.....

·
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
14,576 Posts
Simplelife said:
What do you clever people think?

Shane.....
They do say that the Thermophilic Bacterium Carboxydothermus hydrogenoformans Z-2901 can survive on Carbon Monoxide but as far as I know Simplelife cannot :wink:

Mike

Well you did ask :oops: But there is a serious point hidden in there ...DO not use open flame heaters in a motorhome ..it is dangerous :wink:

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
autostratus said:
Won't you get a lot of moisture in the van from the open flame of the grill/cooker?
The heater is vented to the outside so not the same problem, is there?
Not just moisture but gallons of it, would ruin the interior ofr a motorhome in a very short time.
Memory comes up with 1 gallon of water for every pound of gas burnt.

That's not even thinking about carbon monoxide and other nasties in burnt gas fumes.

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Recap...Heaters are safe to use all the time. The gas and fumes are sealed outside the MH.
Cookers are not as safe....the gas and fumes are inside the MH.
If the gas goes out you rely on the flame failure device to cut the gas off.
When the gas is lit the fumes are only expelled through the normal windows and doors and other vents.

·
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
14,576 Posts
hogan said:
No such thing as a stupid question.Keep asking.
Hi Hogan

I know you have been a member for a long while but when you have been around here as long as I have you may begin to doubt that :lol:

But the questions are part of what helps keep the forum alive and active, so as suggested I hope folk just keep asking them, even stupid questions can be entertaining :lol:

Mind you many of the questions have now been asked a few times ... I always try to answer as though I have not heard it before... that sometimes takes some dedication :wink:

Mike

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Hi Mike
Totally agree. I have just taken up r/c model helicopter flying and I am the new boy on that forum. So you can just imagine how stupid some of the questions I ask are. As on this site I have been made to feel very welcome and there forum motto is " there is no such thing as a stupid question" this made me feel a lot better so I just keep on asking. :D

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Zebedee suggested that a compilation of stupid answers might provide a few smiles! Hmm...

Serious on heaters first... In February, 1991, we tried our brand new Swift Alouette caravan for the first time. Just ONE night was enough to show that the gas heater was inadequate. It only warmed the air around the fire and above it. So we sat with frozen ankles and coats on until bedtime!!

Within a couple of weeks, I had fitted blown-air to the back of the gas fire. The outlets were all at ankle level, so the warm air started by warming our ankles, before rising to warm other bits!

After a while, it became TOO HOT and the heater setting was lowered and the fan speed reduced. And the once-cold caravan became a warm, comfortable place to be.

Back to Zeb's suggestion: silly questions...

Why can't I get mains power while driving on the motorway?
Because your hook-up lead isn't long enough!

Why can't I get water out my taps?
Have you put any water into your fresh water tank?

Back to heaters... Somewhere in all our literature, there is a specific warning to NOT use the hob or oven as space heaters. Also, next to our hob, is a warning notice clearly advising that a window should be open during cooking.

That'll do for now.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thankyou for all your replies. It has become obvious that heat (especially over night) from a hob/grill is a very dangerous way of keeping warm and thanks to all of you I will definately be buying a gas heater now!

Funny you know, the chap who sold me the camper confirmed there was not an underslung gas tank when I asked him about it. About an hour ago while under the camper doing some little jobs I came across a large red gas tank! I also found out that the floor is already insulated with polystyrene between two quarter inch sheets of ply! I have been on a voyage of discovey today!

Shane.....

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Hi Shane,

I hope you now realise the seriousness of using open flames for heating, and that it is a definate NO, NO!

A space heater is room sealed, and draws oxygen, and extracts waste products to the open atmosphere.

Using open flames inside the motorhome for extended periods, i.e. not just for cooking (when some ventilation is required), you will reduce oxygen levels within the MH, create excessive moisture within the MH, and worse, risk asphixiation from burnt products and CO.

Also, there is the risk of the open flame catching fire to any items it comes into contact with, which may inadvertently drop, blow onto, or be near the flame.
If CO don't kill you, and if lack of oxygen don't kill you, fire will.

Be safe, use the proper product for the job!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TR5 said:
Hi Shane,

I hope you now realise the seriousness of using open flames for heating, and that it is a definate NO, NO!

A space heater is room sealed, and draws oxygen, and extracts waste products to the open atmosphere.

Using open flames inside the motorhome for extended periods, i.e. not just for cooking (when some ventilation is required), you will reduce oxygen levels within the MH, create excessive moisture within the MH, and worse, risk asphixiation from burnt products and CO.

Also, there is the risk of the open flame catching fire to any items it comes into contact with, which may inadvertently drop, blow onto, or be near the flame.
If CO don't kill you, and if lack of oxygen don't kill you, fire will.

Be safe, use the proper product for the job!
Thankyou TR5, very well said. This thread actually highlights the value that a site such as MHF can benefit everyone.

Incidentally, how safe are underslung gas tanks? Mine is directly below where my bed will be!

Shane.....

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Gas tanks under the vehicle, provided they are the proper appliance for the job, and are professionally installed, absolutely no problem at all.

If there was a leak, propane is heavier than air, so would fall, not rise into the vehicle, and be dispersed into the atmosphere. That;s why gas lockers are ventilated in the floor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.