Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
We are in the process of preparing to full time as soon as our house finally sells. At the moment we are trying to sort out one thing at a time.
We have a postal address to give (our sons) which will be fine for most things, however we currently have Sky+ and my good lady will be very unhappy if she has to lose that when we go.
Can we still keep and use it while on the move.
Sky obviously need a postal address, but our son already has a Sky+ and multiroom set up for the grandkids, so will sky let us have another sky+ sub from the same address, but in our name (same surname). or what other options are there.

Many Thanks. Ken.

·
Registered
966 Posts
THELIGHTS said:
Hi All,
We are in the process of preparing to full time as soon as our house finally sells. At the moment we are trying to sort out one thing at a time.
We have a postal address to give (our sons) which will be fine for most things, however we currently have Sky+ and my good lady will be very unhappy if she has to lose that when we go.
Can we still keep and use it while on the move.
Sky obviously need a postal address, but our son already has a Sky+ and multiroom set up for the grandkids, so will sky let us have another sky+ sub from the same address, but in our name (same surname). or what other options are there.

Many Thanks. Ken.
just add another sky+ to your sons account then pay him

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. we were not sure wheather you could have another one. another question answered thank you. (now she will be happy). another question. Having a sky+ subscription (full package) are all the channels available while on the move.
Thanks again. Ken.

·
Registered
557 Posts
THELIGHTS said:

Many Thanks. Ken.
When we moved to Spain six years ago, we gave Sky my in-laws address. They already had Sky and they now have multiroom as well.

The two accounts are separate and we pay ours from our UK bank account registered at the same address.

Never had any problems, we even upgraded to HD a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
You can probably have two Sky+ subscriptions from your son's address, but you can't simply add another Sky+ box to his multiroom subscription. On multiroom, they insist that all of the boxes are connected to the same phone line, and check it periodically...if they're consistently found not to be connected, they'll remove the multiroom discount & charge a full account subscription for each box.

As to watching Sky+ in the van, you'll need a dish with a dual LNB...in principle you can use Sky+ on a single LNB feed and just not be able to watch one channel while recording from another, but from experience I can tell you that it's a pain because the box just keeps getting locked into the wrong polarisation (Dreambox equivalents may not suffer from the same issue, but I'm guessing you'd want to take your existing box).

Note that for Sky+ boxes (possibly not Dreambox?), you need a satellite signal to playback your recordings (assuming subscription channels)....when you watch a recording, the Sky+ box validates that you have an appropriate subscription (at the point of watching, as well as point of recording) to view it. That means to watch a recording on the move, you may well need a dish that works on the move.

(Background details on that

- I gather the check is done when viewing commences, so if e.g. you had a signal then it was subsequently lost, the recording would continue to playback

- This is one of Sky's evil policies. E.g. imagine you had a subscription to Movies and recorded a film, then subsequently downgraded your subscription to not have Movies. You'll find the recording is on your Sky+ box, but you can't actually view it...it'll come up with a dialogue box suggesting you upgrade).

One final point...Sky periodically replace their viewing cards. I think I read somewhere that exercise is going on now. Obviously your new viewing card would be sent to your son's address, and you'd have to arrange to get it before the old one packed up (not sure how much time they give you to swap them).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.