Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking of getting a Brian James trailer and a Smart Car, as my Vectra is now long in the tooth, and it makes sense to get a small commuter that can double up as a extra mode of transport for the motorhome.

Can anybody who already uses this combination tell me if it is a good/comfortable/reliable daily commuter, and is there anything I should know before considering buying new ?

Jacqui :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Jacqi I had a Smart and Trailer, when towing you dont know it is there, very easy.
The Smart car will amaze you, it is great fun to drive and very easy to park, the boot is small but you can get a lot of groceries in it.
Also other Smart drivers WAVE to you.
Eddie.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Can only echo what rapido has written. I use the Smart daily for commuting, great fun and you hardly notice it on the trailer. If you ring Alan Pierce at bantam 01296 483861 I'm sure he would take you for a drive in one of his Smart's and show you a trailer etc. He goes to a lot of the shows as well.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
bsb2000 said:
Can anybody who already uses this combination tell me if it is a good/comfortable/reliable daily commuter, and is there anything I should know before considering buying new ?

Jacqui :D
We had one, I loved it, Duncan hated it - we had the top of the range car, when it first came over here in RHD, I had test driven it in Germany in 2000, but we did find that only 2 seats did become a pain, when our grandson came, we had to take the motorhome out.....not what we had intended, and now Duncan's father is in a home, we definitely need at least three seats.

I loved the drive - BUT - it is a hard ride, do drive it - you will also find the semi-automatic box really strange - and it is not wise to use it in auto at take off at roundabouts etc., as it is slow..

A motorhome owner bought it to tow

I forgot we never did tow with it in the end.....daft or what, but we would have had to add a tow bar and buy a trailer and we didn't think it would be worth it - as we don't stop on sites for any length of time. And leaving a trailer anywhere with a motorhome is difficult, would also think for France, stoppng on aires may be difficult

Carol

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Ian, they don't have a spare wheel 8O, something to consider whilst stood like a prat waiting for the Recovery services on the hard shoulder when it's p***ing down, (not allowed to stay in the car).

Also the front tyres are a different size fron the rears! (need two spares)

Another point to consider is the car on the trailer is not movable by hand like the bikes are,.... (it's too heavy)

Regards Dave :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
MandyandDave said:
Another point to consider is the car on the trailer is not movable by hand like the bikes are,.... (it's too heavy)

Regards Dave :)
Sorry, disagree I can turn the trailer round and push it back into the garage, with the car on it, all by hand. It is all smooth level concrete which probably helps. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
We have run a Smart car and trailer for about 2 years. It's actually my wife's car and has been specially adapted with infra red controls for her to drive single handedly (she had a stroke). She loves the car for various reasons. It's small and manoeuvrable. The doors open wide and the seat height means she can slide straight in. It's auto and has all the trimmings of bigger and more expensive cars. eg. 2 stage air con, electric sunroof, electric mirrors, cd player, electric boot lid opening, electric windows. It's liberated her life.
I on the other hand drive a new BMW 3 series. However when we go out together I insist we take the Smart so that I can drive it. It's so much fun. I drive in tiptronic mode and love the way it can out drag a lot of cars, it's fun watching there faces!
There are some points worth noting and they have been mentioned before. eg. The hard and choppy ride, no spare wheel etc. All cars and motorhomes are a compromise in the end(the perfect vehicle doesn't exist) the Smart being no exception, but the good far outweighs the bad.
We tow the car on a Brian James, Bantam trailer (see photo section - page 1, under the name 'biggermac') and the balance and stability are exceptional. A recent drive to Southern Spain proved how good it was. 3000 miles mile round trip and we hardly knew it was there. We even took it to Austria the previous winter, again with no need to worry.
For those who may be interested, the trip to Spain produced an average fuel consumption of 23mpg - not bad considering a gross train weight of 5 tonnes!!
I hope this helps with your decision?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for your comments and rcommendations. I've booked a test drive with the York dealer.

The only dilemma I have is that they don't do body panels in pink..............don't tell Ian !!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have been wondering about a Smart car too. Two questions:

(1) I heard the Smart passenger seat folds flat, I need occasionally to travel two standard dachshunds, medium dogs on mini legs, they need more space than you would at first think, any thoughts? Does this leave a smooth load area including the space behind the seats and the seat?

(2) Reversing. I can reverse a 7.5 ton truck with a twin wheeled trailer on the back, but I found it very hard to reverse a small single wheel trailer. I couldn't see it in the mirrors until it had started off track, and it's turning was too sudden to be corrected by the larger towing vehicle. I guess this would happen with a Corsa or Smart sized trailer, (Corsa was my other thought if Smart to small for dogs). Opinions please?

If towing any small trailer does it worry you how you get out of places. I think I could probably uncouple and swing it round to come back at it and reconnect, but pushing it might be too much on anything but perfect terrain.

·
Registered
124 Posts
1, I wouldn't say the seat folds flat as such. Certainly it folds over onto the seat base and you end up with a sort of flatish 'L' shape area including the boot. There is quite a gap of about 6 to 9 inches between the boot and the seat with it slid right back. (early versions the passenger seat didn't slide). Best to have a look at one.

2, Reversing. A bit of practise at your local Tesco's is useful. We have a long overhang and I can just see the trailer wheels in the door mirrors as it starts to 'go' to one side. I hace a nice wide angle camera so tend to rely on that. I find with a bit of practise I can get it just about anywhere. I wouldn't want to back up a country lane for 1/2 a mile but wouldn't rule it out.

Never been stuck yet.........(tempting fate now :oops: ).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Reversing
I ordered our Bantam trailer with marker lights on rubber arms. This allows me to see the trailer in my mirrors at all times. Our M/home is 7.4 mtrs with a fair amount of overhang and long wheelbase. This means that when I twiddle the steering wheel it takes a while for anything to happen.
The Tesco car park idea is the best and I'm sure you'll get used to it in a short while.
I must admit to being at a slight advantage, having been an HGV driver but it's all down to practise and confidence.
In our case, because my wife is disabled and unable to assist in manhandling the trailer or guiding me back I just grab the nearest passer-by if I want to save a bit of time - the crucial bit is being able to see what the trailer is doing as soon as you start your manoeuvure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
we have a smart car and have had it for over 2 years,love it it`s everything you all have to say ,fast and fun.. we carry 2 pug dogs in ours no problem,,i have also got a 20 inch tv in it`s box into it with the front seat folded..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.