Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The grill in my van takes ages to stay lit. IE you've got to keep the knob pressed in 8O for almost as long as it takes to make the toast. So, I'm looking for a solution. I can either alter the size of the gas jet to make the puny flames a little bigger or re-site the probe to make it hotter more quickly.

Has anyone looked into this in any depth already ?

Thanks in advance, Dave.

NB. Please dont suggest getting a "qualified" gas fitter in. The last one came within inches of razing my house & family from the face of the planet 8O 8O

·
Registered
890 Posts
try taking off the grill knob and putting a small amount of aluminium foil packed into the spindle hole and replace the knob. also check that the thermocouple is in the flame on the grill. silver foil worked on our oven and on numerous gas fire repairs when i was corgi reg.also i have recently ditched the bulkhead 30 mb regulator for a bottle mounted 37mb regulator and the differance on the oven and grill is great.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah-ha, Geordie me-boy. You've hit the nail squarely on the head. I thought I'd check the easy stuff first. It turned out that the flame failure device wasn't sitting in the hot part of the flame. It was right in against the burner. So it's now moved into the hot part of the flame & is working a treat :D It now heats up & cools at the same speed as the FFD in the oven burner.

Many thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Many thanks for advice. We have the Smev oven/grill in our narrow boat and we have to hold the knob in for at least 30seconds otherwise it goes out. The one in the motor caravan is separate from the oven but takes ages to warm up!

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Sorry to intrude on ones thread with another question, but we have a smev oven grill and extractor fan. The buttons on the extractor fan seem to be the wrong way round and have subsequently broken. Does anyone know where we could get a new wee button?????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.