Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've noticed that, when cold, my '05 manual Sprinter smokes (black) rather heavily if I accelerate in a high gear. I've spoken to the mechanic who carries out my MOTs and service needs and he says don't worry. I only cover a couple of thousand miles per year as we only use our motorhome for weekends away - and normally within an hour or so drive from home - so maybe this is the problem. Total current mileage is around 13,000.
Do you agree with the mechanic or is there something more sinister I should be worried about?

Thanks,

Barry

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My friend was a mechanic at a transport firm that ran Merc's and all of them smoked a lot on start up. The drivers would then let them idle until they warmed up before putting any load on the engine and they would then be ok.

There is nothing wrong with them just that they need to be up to working temp to fully burn the fuel.

You may also have a small amount of oil seeping down the valve stems which also makes the engine smoke on start up.

Again nothing to worry about.

Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Black smoke on a diesel is unburnt fuel (Blue is your engine oil burning which is a bit of cause for concern), nothing to worry about unless it gets excessive, can sometimes be cured by a good long thrashing 8O , or just a good run not being to gentle with the throttle, i only cover about 6000 miles a year in mine (if that) but i change the fuel filter annually as this can deteriorate over time not miles..might be worth a change.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Try changing your air filter. If it is dirty then not enough air gets into the cylinders to burn off the fuel, result, black smoke i.e. unburnt fuel. Another possibility is that you are labouring the engine, too much throttle in too high a gear. A false economy also resulting in incomplete combustion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for all your comments - they have certainly put my mind at rest. And I will try changing the air filter for good measure.

Best regards,

Barry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.