Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
My sog unit came via Van Gear (see advert on this site). I had to fit it as my washroom did not have any ventilation provision. It has been an excellent purchase, no internal smells at all! Fitting was pretty straight forward, the instructions are written for cassette doors that hinge on the left. Mine hinged on the right and I did not place the filter housing in the best position,but it still works ok.
It is a bit expensive but very effective.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
duc said:
Hi,

here is a link about SOG :

http://www.sog-dahmann.de/

for info,

duc
Hell duc

We had our sog fitted by the converter of our mhome but there were no instructions on maintenance spare parts etc. We emailed this company asking for some instructions on the maintenance & spares etc. They did reply but with installation instructions. Not quite what we wanted.

Perhaps it was other halfs attempt at speaking German.

Regarding the sog. Much much better. No chemicals to bother with & no chemical smell. Best of all no unpleasant smell from the unit either. We do tend to empty it daily though whenever possible.

Motorhomer

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Hi Scottie,

pros:
- No more pongs inside your van (neither from poo nor from chemical)
- No chemicals needed anymore
- So also no waste of chemicals when emptying a partially filled loo
- No pressure buildup in toilet tank anymore
- Breakdown of toilet contents (including paper) much faster than with chemicals.

con (just one):
If you don't replace the filter in time it may become a bit niffy outside while toilet is in use.

Have a SOG now for more than a year, and am still wondering how I have done it without before.

Best Regards,
Gerhard

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
MOTORHOMER said:
We had our sog fitted by the converter of our mhome but there were no instructions on maintenance spare parts etc. We emailed this company asking for some instructions on the maintenance & spares etc. They did reply but with installation instructions. Not quite what we wanted.
Hi Motorhomer,

the sog unit is maintenance-free, except for regular change of the activated-carbon filter. And that is mentioned (at least in the German) installation instructions. So you got what you wanted... :wink:

Best Regards,
Gerhard

·
Registered
190 Posts
hi i'm interested in a sog system but one question please. is the motor running all the time? and if not why does it not smell when not in use and what activates the motor ??

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Hi Lou and Carol,
The fan only operates when the gate valve on the cassette is in the open position. I have not noticed any external smell, but my carbon filter is only 7 months old.Will change it at 12 months.

Motorhomer, VanGear sell the carbon filters.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I can recommend the fitting of a fan assisted ventilation system for the cassette toilets as they do away for the need to add chemicals, which after all, are only a mask for the original smells. Yes the manufacturers do officially say the chemicals are required for other reasons, but unofficially they do say they are basically a smell mask.

Being the sort of guy that I am, I haven't got a 'SOG'! As I made my own system (always enjoy a challenge). Mine works on the same principles as the SOG, but some of my fittings are a bit more bulky, I could have used smaller, but I would have had to buy extra fittings, so used what I had in stock. The air quality in the toilets was so much better after fitting the unit, where as before you quite often came out of the toilet smelling of the toilet chemical - not nice.

The SOG's can be considered expensive, however they do have a payback period depending on how much you used to spend on chemicals. If like us we tended to run out in places where we couldn't find new stocks, with the SOG, you won't have that worry :)

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
I also recommend the SOG - as I think that when wild camping, I can also carry out a bulk delivery at any normal toilets if we have need to without causing any problems if septic tanks are in use anywhere - and it saves money.

Another supplier/installer is Airide (John Symonds) in Torquay if this is any nearer to you. He advertises in the motorhome magazines and is a very nice guy.

He will also post the filter to you after a phone call, which is handy.

Carol

·
Registered
20 Posts
In Germany you can buy carbon-filters for normal kitchen extractor-fans. The function and thickness is similar to the original SOG-Filters. You can cut it in the SOG-size and it will work out a lot cheaper than the original.

Somebody knows whether you get these in the U.K. as well?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi,

SOG has also a new system for Thetford C400 ( with the 2 wheels ) with evacuation up the roof of the mh....

for info,

duc

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Ben at Vangear supplied mine and organised installation at MCL. I am really happy with it. If you get one there are 2 things to remember.

1) ensure that the trap is fully closed before driving away. I took a friend on a recent trip and they forgot. It really stunk the cab out. I now have a preflight checklist to make sure everything is ready.

2) when emptying your cassette put the original vent plug back in. I didn't do this the first time and the muck came out both holes and made a real mess.

These are both obvious things in hindsight but I made both mistakes only once :(

Cheers
Karl

·
Registered
44 Posts
2) when emptying your cassette put the original vent plug back in. I didn't do this the first time and the muck came out both holes and made a real mess.
The black stopper on the ring should do this (green bit goes in the cassette permanently):
... we have our in-use one hanging on a hook in the locker for easy access.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
gromett said:
Hi Karl,

nowadays SOGs come with a nozzle to replace the vent plug and with a cap to close the nozzle when taking out the cassette. Just put cap on nozzle and no problem.

Best Regards,
Gerhard

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
benandlizzie said:
Hi Motorhomer

Try www.vangear.co.uk - we take credit & debit cards through HSBC card processing. We can take other payment methods by arrangement, just PM for details.
Thanks

I got my daughter to order my spare sog fitting recently as I had so much bother trying to set up a Pay Pal account including emails received asking for details like confirming paswword and bank details which I wouldnt do by email. We gave up & still dont have one.

Motorhomer

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.