Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 20 watt panel fitted and wired via a regulator,Iwant to add an 80 watt panel, can i simply join in to the connection on the back of the existing panel. any advice please.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,634 Posts
Sticking my neck out but, I don't think it's a problem so long as the regulator has capacity for the extra amps, not sure if it's not better to wire into the Regulator, rather than piggy back onto the panel itself, someone with a bit more knowledge should be along soon to give more info, my panel is only 40watts but my regulator is OK up to 20 amps, as I want to add another panel later.

The reg I got is from Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260362531122

Kev.

·
Registered
96 Posts
yes connect the plus and the minus from one solar panel to the other then run the cable to the regulator i would advise you put a non return diode in both solar panels to do this you just connect the diode to the plus on both panels then solder the wire to the diode this will stop feedback to the panels you should be able to find hem on ebay they are only cheap. i have three 50 watt on mine using this system and they have been working perfect for four years. hope this helps you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
PS. having said that you can do them indepedent this may be a better way for you in case you have to remove one of the panels at any time to do this just wire both panels separately into the regulator but i would still be tempted to add the diodes.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,634 Posts
williamb said:
yes connect the plus and the minus from one solar panel to the other then run the cable to the regulator i would advise you put a non return diode in both solar panels to do this you just connect the diode to the plus on both panels then solder the wire to the diode this will stop feedback to the panels you should be able to find hem on ebay they are only cheap. i have three 50 watt on mine using this system and they have been working perfect for four years. hope this helps you.
I'd ignore the advice given by Williamb, until you know if the cables from your existing panel to the regulator, and also the regulator can take the extra load, this is not like domestic electrical work, where you can just plug things in without too much thought, it requires the correct equipment all working together, otherwise you could end up with a fire claim.

See this thread http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopict-61581-.html.

No disrepect intended Williamb.

Kev.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.