Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We, like numerous other snowbirds, head south in winter to try and take a lump out of the British winter and find some decent weather. We have done this for a number of years now so I thought I'd start a thread updating progress and campsites used etc. We tend to use campsites for ease and guarantee that they are open with their facilities being open as well.

We live in west Wales so it takes us 2 days of sensible driving to get to Folkstone. We aways use the tunnel as Mrs GJ isn't too good on ferries.

I can't promise a daily blog like some of the excellent ones on here as we simply don't do that much stuff but I'll do my best :)

· Premium Member
26,002 Posts
Looking forward to your travels to the warmth G. Especially as it's belting it down again with thunder and lightening this am in Normandy.
Safe journey.

Ray.

Reactions: GMJ

· Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Day 1

Our first night of 2023 touring was spent at a C&MC site in Henley...

This is pretty much standard C&MC fare and useful as its not too far off the M4/M25. Usually we would stay in Cirencester or Cheltenham however the Ciren C&MC site closes for 2 months early in January and Briarfields in Cheltenham was having its ablutions block re-vamped.

If we were visiting Henley and wanted to pop into town, we would stay at the Swiss Farm campsite which is that much closer to town

https://swissfarmcamping.co.uk/

Our drive yesterday was in excess of 200 miles to get here so a long day for us and we got to site at around 3.00pm after a 9.40am start and 3 compulsory stops en route. It rained for at least half the trip with a 'high' of 10 degrees...which is why we try and get away for 2 months each winter.

After setting up it was relaxing time with a cold beer (or 3)!

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
Henley looks a super place, still got leaves on the trees as well 😁 🤣.
The tunnel is worth the extra money, so quick, so simple and no sea sickness even on windy days.
Happy travelling Mr & Mrs Graham. Have we ever known Mrs G´s name?

· Premium Member
19,099 Posts
Glad to hear you are on your way, like you we tried todo around 150 - 175 km per day, not always easy finding a stopping place with the essential minimum 6a EHU MrsW needs, but we have managed with only one night “off grid” after TT let us down over sites, supposedly open, which were “shut for Christmas “ even though this was several days into January…..

That night was in a car park, it was only in the morning that we realised what a lovely place it was ! Great walk across a nature reserve started within 50m. So every cloud…….

Enjoy your trip, ours ends, sadly, tomorrow, but it has been an experience we are keen to repeat.

I can recommend using PolarSteps - it keeps track of where you are and makes reporting easy, with pictures. Only one error on ours, for an Apple related reason it suddenly moved us from the Benicassim part of Southern Spain to Faro in Portugal - by air, and then back all within one day ! Now I know why travelling can be so tiring ! 🤣. The closest we got to Portugal was around 500km.

Enjoy your journey, I am sure that you will.

· Premium Member
29,617 Posts
Henley looks a super place, still got leaves on the trees as well 😁 🤣.
The tunnel is worth the extra money, so quick, so simple and no sea sickness even on windy days.
Happy travelling Mr & Mrs Graham. Have we ever known Mrs G´s name?
I have some fond memories of Henley from my late teens. They involve a hitchhiker called Heidi and and a divorce court. :D Thats all Im saying. You will have to Whatsapp me for the details.

Soz Graham. Carry on.

· Premium Member
26,002 Posts
Oh no Baz, are you into animals or little girls?

Ray.

· Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Day 2

We had a clear run to Folkestone yesterday with very little traffic. The bonus of having a long drive on Saturday was that there was only a 2 hours drive yesterday. We stopped for fuel in Henley (£1.749 ppl) and with our 2 compulsory stops en route, we got to site around 1.15pm.

We are on the C&MC Black Horse Farm site at Densole

...which is dead handy for the tunnel as its about a 15min drive away. When we got to site a first happened: as we were queuing for water the site chappie came out and told us to just pitch on a fully serviced pitch at no extra cost! An upgrade from the C&MC!?! Not bad for £22 for the night.

We had a Chinese last night for out last 'British' meal for a while :D and catch the 10.20am rain this morning.

NB I'll not be using Polar steps or any app gizmo's but if anyone else wants to plot our trip feel free. I might stick in some Google Map screen shots if I remember

· Premium Member
6,286 Posts
I am another one who favours PolarSteps for ease of recording trips and keeping friends and family in touch exactly where we are. It is a good reminder to look back on as well.
Safe travels GMJ and will follow your progress with interest.
peedee

· Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Day 3

We left the Folkestone site in the rain and travelled most of today in the rain (and indeed very strong wind). We got the 10.20am train which was on time, with no dramas. Just the standard check that the gas was switched off at the border in Folkestone.

We arrived at out overnight stop at around 3.30pm local time after stops for lunch and a pee. It's a campsite called Caravanning Salverte and an overnight stop is €20. The washroom has hot water and toilet paper too! As it's been so wet we had to pitch on an inner roadway rather than grass as everywhere is sodden.

For what it's worth the website is here ...

...although its a rubbish website as I can't seem to get past the front page!

We'll probably not stay here again next year though as at 6.30pm we had a knock on the door from a chap who was trying to get to his caravan. There are were 3 caravans on our row which we took to be seasonals however it turns out that they were for what we think are folks working locally. The lady in reception told us to park where we were however we then had to move! It was raining and were we settled so it was a right PITA I can tell you!

Off to Poitiers today.

Ecoregion World Map Line Screenshot

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
I tapped on the three horizontal lines at the top right Graham and a slide not a drop-down menu, as I don`t understand French I have to guess what things are.
Found the Union Jack so can now read in English 😊

· Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Day 4

Another lengthy drive today down to near Poitiers but needs must in order to make progress. It was motorway all the way so as to munch up the miles/Km. We filled up on the MWay as we didn't come across a fuel place on our way to and coming from the campsite the night before. €2.02ppl - ouch!

We are staying at a well known campsite...

It is €23 with ACSI plus €1.10 local tax so €24.10 for the night. Normally the place had at least 10-15 units here but only 5 of us stayed last night. It's a useful stop which is well known and all the normal MH facilities are always open (water, showers, toilets etc). No need to book as they always have space.

Map Azure World Rectangle Font

· Premium Member
26,002 Posts
We used to stay at Futurascope when there was a vast open and free parking area. But I believe it's all paid for now and more hotels have used up much of the space.

Ray.

Reactions: erneboy

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,697 Posts
Are those maps just plotting the journey between your stops Graham or are they plotting where you've actually been? (I know those might be one and the same thing, but they might not - especially if it was me!)

· Premium Member
1,179 Posts
We used to stay at Futurascope when there was a vast open and free parking area. But I believe it's all paid for now and more hotels have used up much of the space.

Ray.
They have redone the aire open all year 10 euro water and drain no electric avl you can stay free 3km away at ELS motorhomes if you want water or electric its 3euro each

· Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Day 5

We had a non motorway/non toll drive today down the N10 from Poitiers to Bordeaux. It is to be recommended as it runs near the A10 Peage and we have found it to be just as good but with no cost.

We overnighted here..

Yelloh Village took the site over a couple of years ago and have been spending some money on it although the motorhome pitches are very muddy at this time of year off the hard standing bit. It has a resto but that doesnt open until 7.00pm which is too late for us these days. Not an ACSI site but the night was only €19 anyway.

Route thus far showing campsite we have been staying at...

Ecoregion Map World Line Font

· Premium Member
19,099 Posts
You can always visit IKEA for meatballs…

You have passed my daughter who lives about 40 minutes North of Bordeaux, totally agree about N10 - excellent road, although near side lane tends to be a queue of lorries, all doing just over the required 80kph……. There are lots of speed cameras on that road though, just take care. If you continue South, the presence of speed cameras becomes even more frequent……..

But the road itself is easy and excellent to drive and the Rocade usually moves well EXCEPT between about 0800 and 0900 and 1630 to 1730.

Enjoy the drive.

· Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Day 5

We had a non motorway/non toll drive today down the N10 from Poitiers to Bordeaux. It is to be recommended as it runs near the A10 Peage and we have found it to be just as good but with no cost.

We overnighted here..

Yelloh Village took the site over a couple of years ago and have been spending some money on it although the motorhome pitches are very muddy at this time of year off the hard standing bit. It has a resto but that doesnt open until 7.00pm which is too late for us these days. Not an ACSI site but the night was only €19 anyway.

Route thus far showing campsite we have been staying at...

View attachment 99699
Take care and check the weather if you are heading towards Euskadi heavy snow forcast inland till sat yesterday the N1 was closed for a few hours

1 - 20 of 84 Posts