Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After only 1000 miles in our new AS Symbol we woke up yesterday morning to find we had a flat N/S rear tyre.

Fortunately the weather was fabulous, we were pitched on immaculately groomed dry grass and, best of all (for me - not him!), the guy in the next door caravan turned out to be a car mechanic who owned a garage just down the road.

I mention about the car mechanic as I had struggled for about 15 minutes trying to work out how to get the spare wheel off before he offered to help. The problem was that the instructions/pictures in the peugeot manual bore no relationship to what was actually on my van. There is a box with a winder mechanism and a cable that holds the wheel in place. Peugeot helpfully supply a special tool that is used to wind this and lower the wheel. The problem was that there was no hole anywhere to insert the tool. The friendly mechanic said he had never seen anything like it and he ended up completely removing the winder mechanism from the chassis before we could insert the tool. Luckily I had a small socket set with me or this would not have been possible.

Fortunately we were eventually able to get the spare off and replace the flat tyre which had a nail in it. Unfortunately the puncture is unrepairable because it is too close to the edge of the tyre so thats an almost new scrap tyre. :cry:

However what worries me is the possibility of the same thing happening again in the pouring rain by the side of a busy foreign road (without a friendly mechanic on hand)

I can't believe I am the first to encounter this problem but a search of the forum hasn't revealed anything similar

Peter

·
Registered
114 Posts
There should be a small hole in the rear bumper to access the winder mech. The problem is it covered by a blanking plug which looks similar to the other ones for the bumper fixing screws. You can spot it as it's slightly out of line with them and is slightly larger. If you still are having problems let me know and I'll post a picture

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Think yourself lucky you have a spare wheel. :D All I had was a knackered tin of air and gunk to mend a tyre with an 8 inch gash. It seems that Fiat have chosen for me the AA rather than put me to the cost of a fifth wheel. How thoughtful.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There should be a small hole in the rear bumper to access the winder mech. The problem is it covered by a blanking plug which looks similar to the other ones for the bumper fixing screws. You can spot it as it's slightly out of line with them and is slightly larger. If you still are having problems let me know and I'll post a picture
I will have another look but we couldnt see anything that looked like it. In fact, after removing the box, my friendly engineer said there wasnt even a hole through the chassis member that it was attached to.

I am taking the vehicle into a tyre place on Friday to get the tyre changed and the spare will need putting back.

I will find out then

Can you send me a picture?

Peter

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just checked and you are quite right! :oops:

I don't know how we could have missed it. It does look like a fixing point for the bumper and when you remove it there is a hole right through to the winder.

Thanks for the advice

Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.