Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some decent speakers for my laptop to be used whilst wild camping in other words either powered by internal batteries or powered by the laptop or the MH liesure battery.

Creative gigaworks t20 speakers reviews seem pretty good but can I use them in the motorhome. I do like a decent base and tone to the speakers.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Hi Stevee4

What about connecting laptop up to the radio in the van using the auxiliary in inputs? I have a pc in my van connected to a blaupunkt 800watt power amp and two 9x6 speakers, all powered by the leisure battery. Sound is great.

You will need a cable - probably 3.5mm stereo jack to two phono connectors - try Maplin.

All this assumes you have an aux-in on your stereo?

David

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
You may have to use battery powered speakers I tried using some with an inverter and I got a lot of interference from the inverter.

Andy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
b16duv said:
Hi Stevee4

What about connecting laptop up to the radio in the van using the auxiliary in inputs? I have a pc in my van connected to a blaupunkt 800watt power amp and two 9x6 speakers, all powered by the leisure battery. Sound is great.

You will need a cable - probably 3.5mm stereo jack to two phono connectors - try Maplin.

All this assumes you have an aux-in on your stereo?

David
Hey there cheers for that. I have a header unit in the cab which would deal with that. Only problem is that it is powered I THINK by the vehicle battery. I am nervous about using that whilst I am parked up. In the hymer there was wiring already in as standard to run a second header unit in the rear. Is this the same in a N B if so whereis it to be found?

Incidentally on my old hymer the battery meter showed the power level for the cab battery in one direction and the liesure battery in the other. However on my arto it only shows the liesure battery in the 2nd position. The first shows nothing unless when mhooked up I get a power level. Is this normal for N +B or is there something I need to do?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
i use a set of tevion telescopic speakers i bought from aldi they should have been £12.99 but they were on offer at £4.99 including the mains adaptor they are great even have a surround sound setting they do everything i want i even use them use them as speakers from my guitar effects console .

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
stevee4 said:
Hey there cheers for that. I have a header unit in the cab which would deal with that. Only problem is that it is powered I THINK by the vehicle battery. I am nervous about using that whilst I am parked up. In the hymer there was wiring already in as standard to run a second header unit in the rear. Is this the same in a N B if so whereis it to be found?

Incidentally on my old hymer the battery meter showed the power level for the cab battery in one direction and the liesure battery in the other. However on my arto it only shows the liesure battery in the 2nd position. The first shows nothing unless when mhooked up I get a power level. Is this normal for N +B or is there something I need to do?
Stevee

Never had a problem with radio powered from vehicle battery. You should be able to run a feed from leisure batteries to replace radio power feed from vehicle battery.

Haven't seen an alternate location in habitation area for a radio, sorry.

If your control panel is same as mine, then it should read hab battery voltage, then vehicle battery voltage. It only gives leisure side charge/discharge though.

David

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Hi there,

I use a set of JBL mains-powered speakers connected to my laptop (happens to be a Mac but that's not relevant to speaker choice). See link below. If these are a bit pricey, there are suitable twin speaker systems for less.
When not on hook-up (and we rarely are) the speakers and Mac are powered by a 150 watt pure sine wave inverter. There are no interference problems and the sound is great. The whole system draws very little power through the inverter. In fact, the current usage gauge is barely showing negative most of the time. If you want information on my inverter set-up, there is a paper in the resources / useful downloads section called "installing a small inverter"

Philip

<<Apple Store - JBL Speakers>>

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never had a problem with radio powered from vehicle battery. You should be able to run a feed from leisure batteries to replace radio power feed from vehicle battery.

Haven't seen an alternate location in habitation area for a radio, sorry.

If your control panel is same as mine, then it should read hab battery voltage, then vehicle battery voltage. It only gives leisure side charge/discharge though.

David[/quote]

I must have a cross wire as the vehicle battery level doesnt register. I do get a reading tho when I am on hook up I guess I need it checked. I am suprised as the van might be 2003 but its only got 14k on the clock. Almost unused...

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
reading only when on hook up at van battery is possibly just measuring the output from the mains charger - this charges both leisure and vehicle batteries.

Possible that the wire from vehicle battery to control panel is disconnected, or fuse blown?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just bought a pair of Logitech V10. Very good sound for size, comes with a carry case and the whole thing fits in a pocket in my laptop bag.
HH

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-970194-0914-V10-Laptop-Speakers/dp/B000G8NO4A/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242725432&sr=8-12

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Speakers for Laptop

Why not buy one of those radio transmitters (tescos where doing them for 14.99) plug it into the headphone socket of your pc, choose a fequency and tune your radio to the same frequency and you'll get the sound thro' radio. Haven't done it myself yet because I keep forgetting the tech name for the transmitter.

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
There's a spare speaker going in the House of Commons. Should be able to pick it up mid June. 8)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
N + B battery output meter not woking

b16duv said:
reading only when on hook up at van battery is possibly just measuring the output from the mains charger - this charges both leisure and vehicle batteries.

Possible that the wire from vehicle battery to control panel is disconnected, or fuse blown?
Hi thanks for that I have had another look at the vehicle battery and the connections. I cant find any fuse or obvious connection to the meter reader. There must be some sort of a connection as I get a reading when on hook up. So where should I look for the fuse or circuit ?
I believe these meters are all the same hymer or N + B

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.