·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Re: france this summer

chapter said:
i just come across this see here
chapter
Thanks Chapter. Very useful link.

Can I suggest you make your title a bit more dramatic to grab people's attention. This is potentially quite important information - especially as some of the laws have been updated quite recently.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi dave i had a heavy night so the brains on half speed but you are right i heard about a lady who had to have her car transported back by train after having her licence take on the side of the road for doing twice the speed limit past a village sign post and the signs are some times a fair way from the first building
chapter

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
My understanding is that the village signpost IS also the sign that the speed is limited whilst going through the village & right up to the sign saying your leaving the village . . . keep it to under 28mph & you'll not fall foul of the ler :wink:

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Speeding

Also be aware, if your vehicle is over 3500kG's or if you are towing, many towns no have new lower speed limits for your vehicle. Max 30kph rather than the 50kph for a car and you better stick to it.

Trev.

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
kph

Shark said:
50 kph used to equate to 31 mph, unless something's changed.

Shaun
Yes it is roughly. However, in many French towns there are new lower limits for vehicles over 3500kG's. This includes vehicles that may alone weigh <3500kG but when towing the train weight is over the 3500kG limit.

So should you be driving towards a town that has a sign stating

With another sign under it stating
with a truck or similar sign stating over 3,500kG's it means just that. Any vehicle or combination that is over 3500kG's must not excede 30Kph.

Yes you will get irate drivers up your rear end because they have no idea why you are near to a crawl. However, you will often find a group of Police towards the exit of the town waiting to pounce. Where drivers often fall foul of the law as they do not realise that towing often takes them over the aforementioned weight limit.

Trev.

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
GerryD said:
Don't have any sympathy for speeders, especially with a motorhome. Lose a licence, tough!

These vehicles are for enjoying your surroundings, not belting from A to B.
Agreed Gerry - no argument in principle here, but can you honestly say you have NEVER drifted above the speed limit, even by accident?

I'd be honoured to shake your hand if you can! :D :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
Re: France generally on speeding

We have travelled around most part of France over the years but noticed a big increase in both fixed and hand held speed cameras this September. With the fixed cameras there is at least a warning sign so look out for them.
We used the auroroute back to the Tunnel and the the French Police were ready with speed cameras a few kms before the payage and then they pick you up as you exit the payage(toll booths). Easy money for them as we are all usually dashing back to the ferry/tunnel. So beware!!
Luckily for me I had a Garmin Sat NAV with warnings on speed cameras which saved me many times for fixed and hand held cameras.
Don't you love technology.
Bob45

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
My TomTom 910 has proved invaluable in reminding me about €U speed limit transgressions (boing - boing).

Especially useful is the facility to switch to kph on the TT as virtually all UK mph speedometers have ridiculously small lettering for kph, often in red which is even harder to see in the dark.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
pippin said:
My TomTom 910 has proved invaluable in reminding me about €U speed limit transgressions (boing - boing).

Especially useful is the facility to switch to kph on the TT as virtually all UK mph speedometers have ridiculously small lettering for kph, often in red which is even harder to see in the dark.
Throught the old Western Europe

The speed limit sign is the town name

The de-restriction sign is a normal sign

Moral........ Do not speed

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Big question, why have we still got analogue speedometers when they are converting a digital signal into an analogue readout? None of the current MHs have a speedo cable that goes to the instrument.
If we had a digital readout like the Citroen Picasso or Toyota Yaris, we could change from MPH to KPH as soon as we hit the Continent.
Also remember, your speedo is designed to show a speed up to 10% above the actual. Under construction and use regulations, a speedo must not be capable of showing a speed below the actual.
So if the indicated speed is no higher than the limit, it is not possibe to be caught speeding.
For those worried about exceeding the speed limit on motorways, I will wave as you go past. An indcated 60mph is fine for me and more economical.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On the topic of speedometer accuracy. Our P206 and Smart Car both read 4.5 miles faster than actual speed as indicated by my SATNAV. The motorhome however (American RV) is spot on. I wonder if they have different calibration tolerances in the U.S.A.?

NEV3

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
I notice in one of the articles the A28 is now fully completed between Aberville and Tours . Does anyone know if this once free route is now to become "peage"?

peedee

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.