Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed how fast the site is now? Everything is close to instantaneous. Previously it was really crawling, I know 'a watched pot never boils' but sometimes it would seem like forever before a page appeared.
Well done Dave a real improvement.
Phil.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Agree the site seems quicker now, but could it have something to do with the decrease of information on the site. We have lost an enormous amount of pictures and words, must make a difference I would have thought

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Helen is right, the old site had masses of info and postings on, along with phots and various databases. These all contributed to the speed of the site which grew very quickly after start up

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, you are probably both right, I just thought that it was a bit of a coincidence that everything was getting slower and slower and then both disks crashed, perhaps they were overdue for an oil change :lol: :lol:
Phil.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:D You are all correct. One of the effects of a possible upcoming crash or the sign of a problem is the speed it is running at. A new installation will always run faster. Files get loaded and deleted and the discs become fragmented, so the discs and access is slower. But I think the cause of this crash was down to the temperature the discs were running at. It's a BIG shame about losing all the old site and Dave wasn't able to recover it. :cry:

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's a BIG shame about losing all the old site and Dave wasn't able to recover it.
at least weare all back here so it's not a total loss. and the info is all in the best computer of all, our brains.
everything that was on here will be stored away in our heads and we will slowly restore it by answering questions and discussions.
at least we have somewhere to meet again.
:( I MISSED U LOT

·
Registered
203 Posts
As I have I told Dave while chatting to him, and NOT just to make hime feel better, he has inspired and created a community, not merely a website.
I have to agree totally.
I have friends here. I may not have met you but I feel as if I know a lot of you.
That is why we invited all and whoever to the wedding.
we wanted friends there
we are a community, a club or whatever definition you want to put on it.
we can rely on someone to provide us with a solution to a problem.
we can rely on someone to listen to us sound off
we can rely on good advice and not just about Mhing
we all have different views
I would not spend as much as you lot on an Mh [even if I had it]
I don't worry about the polish or washing the seagull poo off.
but I know that we all have one thing in common.
WE LIKE TO TRAVEL
see new places and have a laff and meet up with others who are the same [similar] as us.

A way of life .......... on the road ........... and travelling that road with friends.
and the gossip
ps ben and lizzie. how's the build going? roi......
:D

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I thought the site was a bit slower tonight. I have an accelarator installed on my laptop courtesy of Tiscali but its definitely slower than yesterday. At least we are back and communicating :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
That is the problem when a site like this gets very popular, everyone wants to posts pictures etc and this takes a great deal of space up. which inturn slows the system down, not to mention the amount of information that was kept on here. You have got to admire Dave to keep this site running.

Anyway it is nice to be back, thought I had done something wrong when I could not log in - maybe a little banner at the top telling members they will have to rejoin again might help and save all the posts of "Why cant I log in"...

Great site and I am proud to be a part of it

·
Premium Member
11,420 Posts
birchr wrote;

Anyway it is nice to be back, thought I had done something wrong when I could not log in - maybe a little banner at the top telling members they will have to rejoin again might help and save all the posts of "Why cant I log in"...
I was the same, these thoughts go through your head don't they?

Anyway, just to let u know there is now an announcement on the homepage asking all previous members to re-register due to the recent probs.

omwards and upwards as they say! :wink:

pj

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
PhilM said:
Has anyone noticed how fast the site is now? Everything is close to instantaneous. Previously it was really crawling, I know 'a watched pot never boils' but sometimes it would seem like forever before a page appeared.
Well done Dave a real improvement.
Phil.
And there's me thinking it's the all spangly new 2meg line that NTHell installed for me last week,...Oh well! :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.