Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,
I have a French registered Motor home & will at some stage import it to UK.
Changes to lights etc. don't present a problem & also I know that I can get a speedo face easily.
I was wondering if any of you had thoughts on using a GPS speedo. It would appear that they would meet the construction & use criteria & be more accurate than a normal fitted item.
It strikes me as a far easier route than removing the instrument cluster.
Any thoughts from the esteemed membership ?
Barrie.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Are you sure they can be fitted instead of a normal speedo??

Depending on the quality, a GPS can take quite a while for it to get a signal therefore you will not be accurate.....going through a tunnel or even a built up area can make a GPS lose its signal or even tree cover.

Whilst GPS is very accurate it does require quite a clear path for the signal to work.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I have bought two Hymers new from Germany and found it very easy to change the speedo dial after purchasing them from www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk.

They look identical to the UK original version. No problems then when you wish to sell the vehicle in this country.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,663 Posts
javea said:
I have bought two Hymers new from Germany and found it very easy to change the speedo dial after purchasing them from www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk.

They look identical to the UK original version. No problems then when you wish to sell the vehicle in this country.

Mike
Link is a bit odd Mike ;)

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Strange that Kev.

Agree it doesn't work as a link from the post page, but if you type it into a browser it takes you to the company webpage.

Mike

·
Premium Member
22,846 Posts
There may be a problem with links not working on MHF at present - I tried adding one earlier and nothing would make it work....

GPS would surely not serve since if you are in a tunnel (e.g. Mersey, Dartford or even short tunnels on roads, then you would have no indication of speed....... :?

Dave :cry:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a '93 left handed Hymer imported from Germany and downloaded an app called Ulysee to my smart phone Galaxy Note 2 and use that.
Sure it wont work in tunnels, but it works otherwise and also gives you odo, average speed and elevation?
Well worth a look imho and it was free!

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Kev_n_Liz said:
Using an overlay, won't change the odometer though.
When I did mine on a 3.0 litre Ducato base I changed the odometer reading to miles via the dashboard computer thingy.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,663 Posts
javea said:
When I did mine on a 3.0 litre Ducato base I changed the odometer reading to miles via the dashboard computer thingy.

Mike
Ah, yes, but the OPs van is an 06 model, of something or other base vehicle, and might not have a fancy putery thingy like wot us posh peeps have, so I thought a heads up might help :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
I presume there are regs in place now to ensure imported Euro vehicles have UK speedo and headlight settings. My van was imported in 2004 and hasn't been modified at all.

Would such regs be retrospective if and when I sell my van?

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Importing

We have just gone through the process with our 2007 Pilote/Renault Master. The DVLA require proof that all work including lights and speedo have been changed. We bought our overlay from Lockwoods online. We also had to get a "Mutual Recognition Certificate" from the VCA in Bristol, this can also be downloaded online. When we had this we were then able to send all the other paperwork to Swansea and within 10 days we had our V5C and Tax Disc.

The other thing that I also should mention is that your NCB from France will not be accepted in the UK although the opposite is true when you move to France, it is really frustrating.

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
If you have a UK registered MH, to the best of my knowledge it should fail it's MOT test if the speedo does not show MPH there is no legal requirement for an odometer (that's the speedo that is fitted as a permanent feature, not a Smartphone in a holder etc)

Likewise if the headlamps are not left dipping (masks over the lenses are a temporary measure) I am aware many are running around but they have been doing so for many years and should not have passed an MOT.

Any recent imported vehicle has to undergo a stringent test to ensure it complies with UK regs. Such as speedo in MPH, headlights dipping left, rear fog light on the off side or centre line of the vehicle, correct coloured indicators, the list is pretty lengthy.

You can have a GPS style speedo as an EXTRA but not as the primary speed indicating device.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
speedo

The speedo in kmh/mph doesn't appear on the MOT, only applies when you want to register on UK plates. Did the overlay after MOT, this didn't affect the odometer, this is still in kms.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Re: speedo

randonneur said:
The speedo in kmh/mph doesn't appear on the MOT, only applies when you want to register on UK plates. Did the overlay after MOT, this didn't affect the odometer, this is still in kms.
Mine van was imported in 2005 by a dealer and in fact resold to me secondhand in 2008. No mph on the speedo and passed 5 MOT without issue. MOT reads odometer in kilometres and I have to check carefully that they change the units on the certificate that is issued. I've considered the overlay but in fact the van is used more on the Continent and the kph numerals are then smaller with the overlays. I use a Satnav in the UK and know the conversions off by heart. Most are easy 50mph/80kph worst is 30mph/48kph so just need to be careful with that one but not found issues with accuracy of SATNAV in mountains or UK tunnels. Guess at some point I could fall foul of a VOSA check or police check but really you have to say it is pretty easy to know the conversion numbers.

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.