Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought any product to stop squeaking brakes. The van which is 12 months old and had squeaky brakes on the day that it was born went in for a service today and I asked them to see if they could stop the brakes from squeaking. While out shopping they phoned me and said that they had not managed to stop the brakes from squeaking and that they needed cleaning which Fiat would not pay for. They said that it would take 2 hours labour and the cost would be £126.
I said forget it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Note: Turning up the radio is not an option I will consider.

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Can of Brake and clutch cleaner apox £3 to £4

remove wheels and spray onto discs and pads.

Sometimes on a service bill you will see this item in sundries. One can willl do a couple of dozen vehicles.

Do you live anywhere near north nottinghamshire

Dave P

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi.
Funnily enough my Aviano Has always had a slow speed squeak from the brakes but I wont let my Burstner dealer loose on it & mine is only 2 months old.
When I get around to it I will remove the pads & slightly chamfer the leading & trailing edges. I will also coat the BACK (not the front) of the pads with a thin layer of copperslip which is an anti seize product but widely used for this type of problem.
Hope this may help.
I am sure there will be someone along shortly that will probably disagree but I am old school !!!
G.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Our van has done this from day 1 but only when braking very gently from about 30 MPH.

It is getting a bit better now after just over 1,000 miles but I have done a few heavish braking tests on long down hills to try to get the brakes bedded in.

If it does not stop it by 2,000 miles I will take the pads out and lightly sand the braking surface area and a refit with a light smear of copperslip on the backing surface. Then maybe a good dose of brake cleaner. Only problem is our van has 6 sets to do, but I think it is only the rear one that are the problem.

Cost a couple of hours work and less than a £10. I would rather do it myself that let a main dealer loose with it.

Richard..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.