Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new coachbuilt with the Fiat 2.8JTD chassis cab as the base vehicle. When the engine is cold it will not start first time. I have to switch off the ignition and then it starts immediately on the second attempt. (The glow plug warning symbol goes out and the ignition switch key is recognised on the first attempt). Have booked it into Fiat main dealers but this will be a couple of weeks. Any ideas or suggestions.

trig

· Registered
8 Posts
Sounds familiar, we have the same problem. Our Swift motorhome only starts on the second attempt, straight away I might add, if it has been standing for a while. Being serviced this week, will enquire about the problem now I know we are not the only ones with this.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello M&D, a bit more info. This is the 3rd Ducato I have owned with the latest JTD engine ( two with the 2.8L and the other with the 2.3L lump). A feature of these models I have noticed is that the glow plug only requires heating for a few seconds between say 3 and 6 seconds even at low ambient temp. However on my current van it rarely stays on for more than 1 second although when tried a second time it starts immediately ( still only 2 seconds heating time}.

Regards trig

· Registered
3,813 Posts
Trig, Now that we've established it's a later model, it could be a glow plug gone down, or the relay that operates it.

I do know of an Elddiss that a freind of mine owned, had an alarm/immobiliser fitted at the dealers, the starting of the van failed due to the current drawn by the pre-heat plugs which took everything away from the little control unit for the alarm system, keeping the 'van firmly immobilised!

M&D :)

· Premium Member
2,290 Posts
No glow plugs!

Hi,

if it is really a JTD engine then it has no glow plugs! These engines have a so-called "flame starter". And this device will only be activated at ambient temperatures below freezing.

So it is absolutely normal that the pre-glow light goes on only for half a second or so when starting the engine at ambient temperatures above freezing.

As the JTD engines are fully "fly-by-wire", I assume that there is some kind of defect in the electronics.

Best Regards,
Gerhard

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Shez-Nelly, be interested to know how you get on when your motorhome is serviced.

Baddow, had a Meta alarm fitted prior to collection. Had thought about this as I
did not start the vehicle prior to the alarm being fitted.

IanH, thought about this also as it seems to take a long time for the fuel pump to pressurise the system ( can hear the fuel pump operating).

Boff, the potentiometer adjacent to the accelerator pedal is the only ' fly by wire ' bit of electronics. The vehicle had only done 17 miles so don't think a worn track would be likely.

Regards trig

· Registered
208 Posts
starting

Hi

i have a 2.3 fiat ducato base vehicle and a few times when i have started it the padlock icon has not gone out and the engine wont start, this is becuase the code has not been recognised, but why is this happening when other times it works first time???
keith

· Registered
417 Posts
Hi again chopper,
Cannot see a problem there then. When inserting key try making sure you use your fingers and not wrap whole hand around fob. You can get a gold ring or similar or can just your hand affecting the signal but not normally not a problem.
Have you tried using your spare key instead to see if that also gives a problem. Somebodies law says if you go to a dealer to get it checked it will work everytime so worth trying to narrow down a bit. Even things like wearing a wrist watch on your right arm instead of left could have an effect on it. although seems very unlikely.
It might be worth (probably is) getting a dealer to reset the key detection sytem and re-program it with your keys and see if that cures the problem.
Brambles.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Starting problem solved.

Because our van is under warranty I booked it into a Fiat main dealer. They ran a diagnostic, made an adjustment and fixed the fault. The engine now starts from cold first time.

Loaned me a car for 24hrs. and provided good service.......job done.

trig

· Registered
208 Posts
starting

Hi

Mine is booked into tomorrow at Platts in Longton, and hopefully they will sort it out, but when i cleaned it sunday the thing started everytime jsut to annoy me, hopefully they will reset the PDI as well, will let u know the outcome

keith

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.