Motorhome Facts Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,582 Posts
Jim Yates June 18, 2014 at 9:04 pm
I have just started investigating replacement tyres for my 3.5t, 5year old Boxer motorhome, my local tyre man has looked into the availability of camping tyres. He informed me he was being given advice that if the van would be visiting Europe it would need a higher spec tyre than for England? He is making further investigations with his suppliers
That very much confirms what I have been told; MH MUST have CP rated tyres and for French use they MUST be the same on both sides of the same axle. i.e. Michelin CP on one side = Michelin CP on t'other side.

The requirement for CP rating may well reflect a higher stress tolerance.

BUT I was told this is a peculiarity of French regulations and their interpretation by "Le Flic"

I am going to have to stick to Michelin, expensive though they seem (143€ for each provided you buy 2), but the difference between that and a budget tyre (say 60€ per tyre) works out at about 83€ per wheel for the life of the tyre - nominally 5 years, so about 16€, or £14 per year - not a vast sum c/w the operating costs of the MH, just over £1 per week.........

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have only found three tyre manufacturers so far that make a CP rated tyre

Michelin, Continental & Pirelli

Bit of a cartel ?

I am sure it would be against EU rules , aah but this is Fance so it doesnt count

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.