Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Graham and Clint asked for some more information about Sicily and I thought it it better to start a new thread rather than tagging on to the Croatia one.

The PDF shows our route/stopovers travelling down and then returning via Greece and Eastern Europe
I hope the campsite links are still working ...if not let me know and I can send a copy direct. On the left are arrival dates so you can see how long we enjoyed each place.

The route down the Italian Coast was mostly motorway and easy and straightforward to drive to the Ferry for Sicily. Generally smaller roads in Sicily but we managed in 7.5 van. Weather was excellent and I think is now a popular overwintering spot. We stayed over Christmas and New Year and then drove around the island. Etna was probably the highlight and there is overnighting at the Ski lift.....................it was great in the snow.

Of course Rome and Naples and Vesuvious were highlights when travelling travelling down. Matera and Alberobello were worth visiting on the route to the Bari ferry.

We are really glad we came back through Eastern Europe and particularly enjoyed Romania. Not sure about going that way at the moment but do let me know if you want any more details.
Sky Water Mountain Bedrock Terrain

Cloud Water Sky Mountain Plant

Sky Cloud Building Residential area Landscape

Sky Cloud Snow Slope Horizon

Sky Mountain Ecoregion Highland Tree

Water Building Nature Sky Tree

Sky Building Ancient greek temple Landscape Archaeological site

Water Sky Water resources Atmosphere Cloud

It's brought back some great memories digging through this old stuff.

Attachments

Reactions: GMJ and raynipper

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you had written about the bronzes even before our trip but we didn't get to see them.
That particular "discussion" is best forgotten.

I agree with hiring a car.There are 2 main campsites at Punto Braccetto, where we spent Christmas, Scarbeo and Luminoso.The second one had a car for the use of campers, for I think just a mileage payment.We booked it quite a few times. One day we did end up navigating back by using the map on the tea towel we had just bought.

Jean the colours are for each calendar week but it might have been more useful here to colour by country.

I wish I was more IT proficient to show the route and stopover on google maps or polar steps which I see many people using on their blogs. You'll have to go and map it for yourself.

Reactions: jiwawa

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had visited Pompeii the year before and stayed at Camping Zeus It's a 5 minute walk to the entrance.Also 5 mins to the station for trains into Naples and Herculaneum.You can also get the train right round the Bay to Sorrento and then buses along the Amalfi Coast.
I think motorhomes are banned along that road but it's great to just sit back and enjoy.

From the campsite there were some kind of jeeps that took you to the top of Vesuvius

Reactions: GMJ
1 - 3 of 3 Posts