Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I have a Swift Royale, Ducato based and it has a Safe-T-Bar at the back. Now this is a very strong bit of bumper kit which has huge supports that bolt right back to the main chassis. It also has a built in tow ball.

I want to carry my dirt bike on the back.

Does any one have experiance of adding either a tow-ball type of rack to this bar or even removing the Safe-T-Bar and adding a bike rack to the chassis supports of the Safe-T-Bar?

It holds two big fat fellas on the bar but it'd be nice to know for sure.

I've Emailled the manufacturers for Vertical Weight Limits but have not had a response as yet.

On my previous rig, I made a rack that bolted to the chassis but the bike "Bounced" around a bit as the rack flexed. It made a trip round the Alps & Pyrenees very enjoyable with the extra freedom of the bike and there were no real mis-haps with the set-up but with the change of van, I'd like a stronger, less flexy rack and having the Safe-T-Bar is the ideal start, I hope.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,623 Posts
Double-Entendre said:
Hi.

I have a Swift Royale, Ducato based and it has a Safe-T-Bar at the back. Now this is a very strong bit of bumper kit which has huge supports that bolt right back to the main chassis. It also has a built in tow ball.

I want to carry my dirt bike on the back.

Does any one have experiance of adding either a tow-ball type of rack to this bar or even removing the Safe-T-Bar and adding a bike rack to the chassis supports of the Safe-T-Bar?

It holds two big fat fellas on the bar but it'd be nice to know for sure.

I've Emailled the manufacturers for Vertical Weight Limits but have not had a response as yet.

On my previous rig, I made a rack that bolted to the chassis but the bike "Bounced" around a bit as the rack flexed. It made a trip round the Alps & Pyrenees very enjoyable with the extra freedom of the bike and there were no real mis-haps with the set-up but with the change of van, I'd like a stronger, less flexy rack and having the Safe-T-Bar is the ideal start, I hope.

Thanks
I don't think the T bar bumper comes into it D-E, as you won't be using that, but the towbar, or to be more precise, the towbar bolts, most manufacturers quote a max of 100kg weight on the tow ball itself (nose weight) this to account for weight transfer under breaking, however I've seen loads of Gas Gas bikes on specially built racks which bolt to a tow bar on private cars, so I would assume it will be OK for a crosser, just check that the chassis can take it (not rotten) and that you're not overloading the back axle/s.

There will be a few opinions on this I suppose, so please wait to see what others say.

Kev.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.