Motorhome Facts Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6,514 Posts
I won't be able to do my bit until I get back of holdays mid June but do my bit I will. Personally, I think it's non of my biz if Nukes makes a fortune, a modest income or bugger all and I'm happy to send in my sub when I have it as I get hours of entainment. If I had one worry, it would be the possible reduction in the number of posts from the casual posters which very often are interesting, funny or even critical and in many ways the forum is the honey that keeps people coming back time and time again. I am wondering if the forum should be open to anyone that just logs in properly and the databases, albums,chat and similar stuff members only. And of course, discounts for stuff and sites would not be available. But once we can get enough sites to discount sticker holders, then the sub is paid for in a very short time. I don't think a newbie will pay a sub just to find out the likely hood of being gassed while using the porta pottie.

· Registered
6,514 Posts
TheOggies said:
I'm with you Helen,.....but don't tell the wife !!!! :wink: :oops:
Back of the queue matey, ...back of the queue. I was here first.

· Registered
6,514 Posts
Dishmop said:
It isnt just a forum
Have I missed something then? No disrespect to anyone but what else is it?

I can well understand the work which goes into this. I ran three forums from my website. Not the free Invision ones but PHP with their own databases. Cost was £35.00 per year.
SBMCC started with a free one and still wanted to charge for the use of it. Damned if I am going to pay to GIVE help.

One thing I would like to suggest. The buttons. ie "reply" and "submit." They take a bit of searching for if one has been used to looking at the more usual larger type and also the symbols at the top when writing a post. Can you just change them to say what they are as opposed to symbols.
I maybe wrong but I have a feeling that it is a tad more expensive than £35 pa. I think Nukes posted the costs once but can't find them. Maybe on old site. Probably due to dedicated service, amount of bandwidth which is costly and what appears to he a continuous supply of new hard drives.

· Registered
6,514 Posts
nukeadmin said:
can i just stress this once more as i am getting a few PMs from people with reference to the Subscriptions. One word is all i will say again "OPTIONAL"

lol
There's no need to beat about the bush Nukes.. If you are saying its optional then why not come right out with it. No point sitting on the fence, we can take it. 8)

· Registered
6,514 Posts
As I don't mind either way as I am happy paying or not paying to go on this site as its the only one I use regularly I understand the following is happening.

Nukes does not want to keep it at donations as it is almost like begging for charity. I can understand that, as that is what I have to do at home.

Nukes needs some money to come in to take this site to a higher level. I would like that but realise it cannot be done on fresh air.

Nukes wants to be able to get us all discounts on stuff and campsites and estimating the savings we could make, once the scheme is up and running paying a couple of quid for a sticker does not stack up against the benefits to members, albeit in the future.

Somewhere, we need to go through a transition which needs money to obtain the discounts but without losing members who either do not want to pay or feel they would prefer to donate when they can are going to leave if subs become optional or even mandatory.

So where does the answer lie. What is the difference between a voluntary donation and a voluntary subscription. I'm buggered if I know.

Those that do contribute using one of the above methods but to me the same thing with different words will wonder why they have to carry the rest.

The rest will feel guilty because they may consider they are getting something for nothing which other members are paying for.

So what is the answer.

The answer is........As Nukes said....a voluntary subscription and if this was anonymous to all and sundry then what on earth is the problem.

People who are able to pay will, and people who are unable to won't but in both camps, their input into the site is invaluable and that is a contribution in its self.

So come back Smiffee, come back Paul and lets all work either with contributions, money or mod help to get this site from great to the greatest.

i rest my case. 8)

· Registered
6,514 Posts
merlin said:
nukeadmin said:
it is NEVER going to change, it is OPTIONAL, lol
If that's the case why not just stick with the donations
I see the difference being more obvious in the future than it is now. If Nukes ultimately gets 5 or 10% of sites Europe wide and discounts of gear we need then why should these facilities be advantaged by someone who just pops in once. Work has to be done to get all this organised and loads of time spent so a subscription would be more like a membership ( a word I prefer) and a member would be able to take up these opportunities and others as I understand it and reap the rewards of being a member. I would prefer and this is not Nukes theme, for subscription payers to be full members of the club so to speak and as such have a greater input into the sites makeup, have discounts on gear and discounts on sites etc. Those that do not wish to pay presumably would not require discounts on sites and gear and probably their interest in how this site will be run in the future is mimimal.

There are so many things we could do if people chip in even a little- we could run a raffle to raise money, perhaps even have a lottery syndicate, add a readers wives section... the list is endless.

In summary, a subsciber member in effect is paying for the priveledge of specail offers and discounts, has a significant input into the sites ambitions, etc.

These are more my intrepretations of what I hope is planned and may be contrary to Nukes and others ideas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.