Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I don't have a MH yet but the plan is to buy one late summer, 4 berth coachbuilt looks likely, it will be used mainly for short breaks, long weekends but importantly for towing a car in a trailer. The all up weight of trailer c/w car is a little under 1200Kg.

My budget is circa 25K which include fitting a tow bar if the van doesn't already have one, having looked around it seems I can get a fairly modern, 06/07(ish) for that money with a 2 litre or 2.2 engine, or an older model (01/02) with a 2.8 engine.

My question(s) is, do the more modern 2.0 engines have near the same torque as the older 2.8 engines, would a 2.0 model suit my requirement to tow comfortably at 60mph where allowed ?

The tow limit on some 2.0 I have seen is 1500Kg but of course that is a maximum allowed, would the 2.0 engine struggle a bit ?

Having decided on an engine size I then need to decide on a layout I prefer, but that is a problem I will have to figure out for myself.

Thanks
Murray

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Can't comment on the older 2.8s, but my Peugeot 2.2 FWD has plenty enough grunt to pull Smart on an A-frame. However, with trailer you're talking about half as much weight again, so that may make a difference.

·
Registered
222 Posts
One of the main reasons for picking my Laika 400i, (on an Iveco 3512 chassis) was for towing.

Twin wheelbase, rear wheel drive, Iveco chassis, so a standard Iveco towbar and electrics were fitted in a day, at a cost of £170!!

Oodles of payload, with no 'overhang' problems

The handling is a bit 'truck' like, but she is sturdy!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a 2.2 Citroen PVC and prior to that a Fiat 2.3 PVC, both used for a lot of towing ( last weekend 650 miles)

trailer is a 13ft Brian James A series and the car is either a Caterham at 600Kg or a Vintage at 750kg.

Both vans will tow at well over the legal limit(60mph) but will struggle a little on steep hills,plus side is 30mpg approx.

I think that a bigger engine is always better but the smaller 2.2/2.3 are adequate.

Both my vans are of course FWD and I have never found any problems in the wet or on grass, including a very wet field at Shelsley

Hope that may help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.