Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've googled as best I can but keep getting conflicting info on this.

Plans keep changing and we are now thinking about moving into Switzerland in the next few days. Been there in the past but in a sub 3.5T van and have always avoided using the motorways, so no vignette required.

Our current van is 4.25T so I believe that we have to pay a "heavy vehicle" tax to be able to use any road in Switzerland. Can anyone please advise.

1. Is this correct?

2. How much is the daily charge and is there a minimum fee.

3. Does this allow you to use all the roads, including the motorways.,

Thanks is advance

Phil

·
Registered
442 Posts
When you arrive at the border, you will be asked to fill in a form with the vehicle details. There is a charge of 32 Swiss Francs (when I was there last year) and you can use the roads for ten days during the current year. You just jot down the date in a box each time you venture out.

This has the advantage of being cheaper than the sub-3.5t charge. It applies to all roads I believe, not just motorways. It didn't happen to us, but I guess that you have to get a new form if you use the roads for more than ten days.

Make sure you get the form as I believe that large fines apply if you don't have it or have not put the current date on the form if stopped. I have seen the police checking these in a motorway service station.

The system is easy to use and certainly much better than the "Go box" in Austria for instance.

Sandy

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sandy.

Great to have it from the horses mouth as it were :)

I suppose it may have gone up for this year but at least it gives me a good idea about the cost.

Cheers,

Phil

·
Premium Member
5,264 Posts
Its an HGV tax, it has nothing to with driving on the roads. In theory you need it for every day you spend in Switzerland, not just the days you are driving. In practice you just tick of the days you are on the road, incase you get stopped. :D

Ian

·
Registered
505 Posts
olley said:
.. you need it for every day you spend in Switzerland, not just the days you are driving
^ Agreed ^

The Swiss describe the road tax for campers >3.5t as the PSVA (see <HERE>).

The Swiss custom posts prefer it if you roll up with the form already in your possession and with that day's date already entered. You still have to stop and pay the CHF32.50, of course!

You'll need to present your V5 document too.

You can download the form in PDF format from <HERE>

Compared to Austria for heavy campers this is good value and almost zero hassle (unlike the dreaded Go-Box).

BTW if you're travelling in Austria in the summer (i.e. when there's no serious risk of snow on the passes) you can set you satnav to avoid tolls and pay no charges at all. We've done exactly this a couple of times with great success. You see a lot more of Austria too!

Rgds
CD

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
uncleswede said:
Compared to Austria for heavy campers this is good value and almost zero hassle (unlike the dreaded Go-Box).

BTW if you're travelling in Austria in the summer (i.e. when there's no serious risk of snow on the passes) you can set you satnav to avoid tolls and pay no charges at all. We've done exactly this a couple of times with great success. You see a lot more of Austria too!

Rgds
CD
Thanks for that CD. Does Austria have the over 3.5T tax like Switzerland or can I stay completely toll free if I just stay off the motorways?

Cheers,

Phil

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
Thanks for the info!!

I will be getting mine in a few days.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You need to be aware that in Austria, the Go-Box is required not only for motorways, but also for the "Schnellstrasse", i.e. fast dual carriageways or expressways and also for certain non-motorway tunnels.

I set my sat-nav to avoid motorways and 'toll - ways' but still found myself on the odd Schnellstrasse.

I love Austria, but the Go - Box is a real dog's breakfast of a system.

Roger

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Garr l looked for the form to pre print and no luck :-( we are there on 13th sept. You need to go through a manned border to get it sorted and not many we are going via Basil.
I was told but forgot to verify with family there the Swiss have lots hidden speed cameras so beware.

Have put up onfo on 3 places l was told of for camping if any use on phone so unable to put link but just look for my post last 3 or so weeks l put it up.
*Caro* :p

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
For Switzerland as far as I am aware there are two options.
You can either purchase a permit for a continous period eg two weeks at SF3.25 per day (minimum purchase 10days for SF32.50) which can be extended at a post office OR you can purchase a 10day permit for use on individual days over a period of a year (where you fill in the date before you travel) where this facilitates several trips in the year where you are only passing through Switzerland to and from Italy.
Perhaps some one else will confirm that this is correct.
Ian

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yaxley,

Hi.

For vehicles 3.5ton or less you buy a vignette (CHF 40 at the border or cheaper on line in advance, I believe) and that lasts you for a year.

For vehicles heavier than 3.5ton you have to pay a daily heavy vehicle tax for each day that you are in Switzerland - not just the days that you drive in Switzerland. There's a standard form (see my link elsewhere in this thread) which costs CHF 32.50 and gives you 10 days. I think you can buy for any number of days (we've never actually done this) but the minimum spend is CHF 25.

Hope that helps

Rgds
CD

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Have a look at my post above of the 31/08/13, it's all there. You can purchase as many days as you like but with a minimum charge of CHF25.00

Ron

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to say thanks to all and to confirm that OB1's info is 100% correct.

The "Heavy Vehicle tax is 3.25 swiss francs per day (minimum payment is 25 francs).

I bought a 10 day pass and was advised that I must fill in the form each day I'm in Switzerland, even if I don't drive. If I leave Switzerland and go into Italy I must complete the form for the day I leave and again for the day of return, but not for the days spent in Italy. i.e. I could spend 5 days in Switzerland, spend a week in Italy and then return to Switzerland for a further 5 days.

Then only problem we had was that we crossed into Switzerland from Chamonix and the border at Le Chatelard was not manned. After visits to the Post Office, Tourist Information and the Municipal Police we eventually found out that there is a customs (Douane) office in Martigny and we were able to sort it out there.

Even though I had been able to download the forms online I had to start from scratch again as the form they use is a carbon copy triplicate which they keep one copy of and give you the other two.

Phil

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Hi
My post of yesterday is correct except the minimum payment is CHF25 and not CHF32.50.
Ian
PS: The matter is fully covered in Ob1 post in Swiss Touring section.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.