Motorhome Facts Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Tolls

Hi

Here is my toll/tax article all about Switzerland. The info is correct at the time of writing also this week when we passed through.

I will add another section to it with the paperwork for the over 3500kg stuff as soon as possible.

Russell

Swiss toll info

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If you can buy a daily rate of 3.25chf, as I wint be using the camper once I have got to Lazy Rancho would it be practical to buy just two days tax?

I will have a motorbike on trailer for which I am guessing I will need a vignette for the bike?

Any guidance appreciated

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Sideways86

Over 3500kg you pay heavy duty tax for every day that you are in Switzerland, on the road or not. Like our road tax you can try to circumnavigate the law but the Swiss penalties are harder than ours. I think that you should also pay a lower rate tax on the trailer but do check this.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Sideways

I've looked up the legislation and subject to it not having changed in the last two years you should pay Heavy Goods Tax on your van and the 40SF under 3500 kg (vignette) charge on the trailer - not the bike. So you were up the creek on both counts :lol:

Incidentally, anyone buying a vignette on-line should be careful as these sites often don't say that if you are over 3500kg the vignette system does not apply. Even the official Swiss Travel site was guilty of this and would issue vignettes willy nilly, and maybe still does.

Ron

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
ob1 said:
Sideways

I've looked up the legislation and subject to it not having changed in the last two years you should pay Heavy Goods Tax on your van and the 40SF under 3500 kg (vignette) charge on the trailer - not the bike. So you were up the creek on both counts :lol:

Incidentally, anyone buying a vignette on-line should be careful as these sites often don't say that if you are over 3500kg the vignette system does not apply. Even the official Swiss Travel site was guilty of this and would issue vignettes willy nilly, and maybe still does.

Ron
So I can ride my motorbike around without a vignette then ! What a plonker I am then sticking the sticker on the bike!

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
I'm having second thoughts on this one Sideways. All the info I have make it plain that tax has to be paid on a trailer using motorways. No mention at all is made regarding a motorcycle so I assumed ( always dangerous) that the trailer vignette would cover the motorbike. However, one of the family swears he can remember paying a toll for his bike some years ago when not using a trailer. Surely, they don't charge for the van, trailer and bike do they?

I don't know the answer, but know a man who does in the Swiss customs. I will contact him next week and get an answer.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Sideways - Have received the info we wanted.

Motorhome over 3500kg - Heavy Duty Tax as normal.

Trailer - Vignette needed, fixed to trailer.

Motorbike - Nothing needed so long as on trailer or used on normal roads. If unloaded and used on motorways vignette needed.

Have fun.

Ron

·
Registered
384 Posts
Swiss vignette

Hi came from Swiss last week over 3.5t paid 25euro for ten days.friend of mine paid 40euro for 1yr you cannot do ten day pass if 3.5 t van.not sure wat the charge is over 3.5t for 1yr hope this helps
Tude

·
Premium Member
31,754 Posts
I have never had a Vignette on my scooter but I did once accidently stray onto a motorway where I was stuck for about 5 miles until the next junction. I assume you need one on a bike for motorways.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Re: Swiss vignette

tude said:
Hi came from Swiss last week over 3.5t paid 25euro for ten days.friend of mine paid 40euro for 1yr you cannot do ten day pass if 3.5 t van.not sure wat the charge is over 3.5t for 1yr hope this helps
Tude
Tude - £433 per year at today's rate (3.5t - 8.5t) if you fancy it! :eek:, and assuming I'm still up to date.

Ron

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
ob1 said:
Sideways - Have received the info we wanted.

Motorhome over 3500kg - Heavy Duty Tax as normal.

Trailer - Vignette needed, fixed to trailer.

Motorbike - Nothing needed so long as on trailer or used on normal roads. If unloaded and used on motorways vignette needed.

Have fun.

Ron
Great Ron

So basically I need the 10 day heavy tax for camper, can I get to interlaken staying off vignette roads for my trailer

I won't need a vignette for bike won't be going on m ways and main routes

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Sideways

Yes, you can get to Interlaken without using toll roads but you really wouldn't want to do it. The routes available are so contorted, involving extra distance, town traffic, extra fuel, wear and tear, on you as well as the van, that it's just not worth it just to get to one destination. I wouldn't do it in a car let alone a large van and trailer. If you just wanted to meander and get a feel for the country then it would be different of course.

Ron

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts
Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

Does this info/advice also cover travel in Lichtenstein?

Cheers

Graham :)

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
GMJ said:
Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

Does this info/advice also cover travel in Lichtenstein?

Cheers

-----------------------

Graham

Switzerland handles immigration and custom matters regarding Liechtenstein. The Swiss motorway system itself is part of the Swiss custom department. So my guess is that the same rules apply, although I am far from sure about it. I would contact the Swiss Travel Service or Embassy if I were you.

If you are going to use Swiss or Austrian motorways to get to Liechtenstein, or are over 3500kg, then you will still have to pay a tax in either of these which should cover you for Liechtenstein I would have thought.

Ron

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts
Cheers Ron

We are planning on going through and staying in Switxerland so will use the over 3.5t system where we can buy 10 days in any given year. This should work out the most economical. We plan to stay c.4 days in Switzerland/Lichtenstein including travelling.

Austria-wise we are travelling S to N from Bormio area in N Italy, staying in Innsbruck for a couple of days and then exiting into Germany heading towards Augsburg. I am hoping to plat a route that avoids toll roads in Austria. Looking at Google maps and direction finder I think I can do this

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Graham - A ten day pass is not the cheapest option if you are only in Switzerland for four consecutive days. Remember that the standard heavy vehicle charge is CHF3.25 per day to use Swiss roads BUT with a minimum charge of CHF25.00. So four (and up to seven) consecutive days will cost you CHF25.00 as against CHF32.50 for the ten day option.

Obviously this all changes if you are going to be making return visits to Switzerland over a longer period.

Ron

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts
Cheers Ron

So do I give them my dates and pay the €25 then?

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
GMJ said:
Cheers Ron

So do I give them my dates and pay the €25 then?

No. Normally you go to the custom office at the Swiss border crossing with your V5 document and they will charge you from that time for whatever you want.

Ron

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.